To inspire others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To inspire others

This thread is for you to share a love of anything...
    Could be crafts, dancing, art, as examples.

I want to share about hiking around Hawaii.
    There are trails from very easy to beyond belief hard. Every one well worth it!
    Stuart Ball's "The hikers guide to O'ahu" book is very informative.

To me it's the best way to truly appreciate where I live.
    It's great exercise while being good for the mind too!

I want to encourage more folks to enjoy Hawaii by getting out there and away from most humans. HaHa!

Maybe get into http://www.geocaching.com/? Hikers are there...
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: To inspire others

I love being a member of the Lions Club International. We do service work in and around our communities. Helen Keller proclaimed us, "The Knights of the Blind" and challenged us to serve those in need.

To serve is simply more than a motto we stand behind, we rise to the challenge and turn it into opportunity to better those in our communities less fortunate than ourselves.

There is nothing more endearing than to help you fellow man in times of need.

I...encourage all to embrace community service and give gratuitously in time and effort, the manpower to serve, for the needs of others. For the sake of Humanity.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 29, 2010, 01:43 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What a lovely thread.

I love to volunteer. My husband calls me the Volunteer Queen.

Saturdays is my "Volunteer Day." However, it can be any day.

Adobt-Block/Weed & Seed
      Politics
      Organizations
      and of course, my favorite, The Slippah Foundation!!

Volunteering is Fun and Rewarding. All the hard work, aches and pain melts away when you see the smiles, hear the laughters of those you've helped along the way.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It sure was nice seeing you tonight 1st Wahine!
        A volunteer and public servant. Doesn't get any better!
        I truly wish you all the best with running. You're a great lady and care about us all, eh. What was your district number and what do you wish to accomplish? Even more inspiring!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          It sure was nice seeing you tonight 1st Wahine!
          It was awesome seeing you too!

I pulled papers to run for State House 27. I will be filing soon.

My passion is to help and better my community. I have no kala (money), but what I have is heart.

My vision is to represent the people of my district and community. I want to have the opportunity to be the voice of those in our society that have often been forgotten or silenced through the hardships of life.

I can understand life's challenges at many levels because I have lived them in many ways. Yes, as with every human I too have skeletons in my closets and scuff marks. It has been those life experiences that have allowed me the opportunity to grow and have the depth of compassion I share so freely with others.

I not only understand my neighbors, I am a neighbor. I have walked the walk and traveled the paths to get to where I am. I want to continue to travel those paths of growth together as a community.

I have earned every smile, every tear and every heart beat. I know it has all been a gift that was meant to be shared. I see and hear the pain of those around me because I am one of them.

I am Auntie to many because I believe in myself and others. I believe together we can and will make a difference to better our community. A change of character with a lil beef and a touch of spice. A vote for me is a vote for you. I am never above you, nor am I below. We stand beside each other and together we shall keep it real for all.

I am who I am because of the God I believe in.

I am Auntie to many because I am real.

I am ME…Lynn Vasquez.

(Me and Maya, Sis of Pres. Obama) Pic by Lomi
          Attached Files

Comment

I love physics! Or to be more precise - I love the ideas of physics. To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson - from my favorite video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk
            (ok I hope this works)

"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people in the street and say, have you heard this?"

This love of physics grew from a life long love of the ocean and the waves. It was studying the waves and learning to read them (to ride them) that made me realize that the same rules for ocean waves applied to sound waves and light waves and particle waves and....

Comment

Not on here much, but Lynn Vasquez has always been an inspiration to me for her work in public service, her volunteering in the community, her devotion to family and others, her children in the armed services. I have followed her from years ago when she first started blogging...stuff from the past, the grandkids, stories about her mama (and the K-drama stuff..which got myself started on it ) and now the things that she is doing now. I tried to touch base with her when she was here (in Vegas) couple years ago 'cause she had mentioned something but she had already checked out. But someday I will hopefully meet this lady. I will be on Oahu for a stop-over next month and I know this sweet person would probably squeeze time in her busy life to say ("eh, I come see you") 'cause I know that's the kind of person she is and not having to have met her in person as yet. I wish I had her energy and the compassion/conviction to do what she does. She talks the walk.

Eh, Lynn...maybe someday wit Tita Lika (yeah, her...I know her also haha! ...have met her here...crazy wahine), we'll meet, yeah?! Oh, and tita...I older den you so you should call me "Auntie"! *hehe* Whack-whack. Joke, joke.

Comment

I totally enjoy the time I spend on artwork. Time to be within my own mind, and not be thinking about the demands of everyday life and society, makes the time a spend on artwork all the more treasured. I encourage everyone to give art a try. You can start at any age because there are art forms that are easy to learn and do not require years of past experience in order to be able to do well.

I also spend much time on volunteerism. I will admit though that I have become much more selective about who I donate my time to. And, who I choose to work with. (Not all volunteer groups are created equal in their motives or methods.) I have learned so much through volunteering, and have been able to be involved in things that I'd have been able to experience without those opportunities. Like doing art, you can start at any age and having years of past experience is not required.

Thanks Menehune Man for this happy thread.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
                  But someday I will hopefully meet this lady. I will be on Oahu for a stop-over next month and I know this sweet person would probably squeeze time in her busy life to say ("eh, I come see you")
                  Aunty,

Oh my! How sweet and kind.

Your post touched my heart at a time most needed. Looking forward to meeting you!

Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; June 30, 2010, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    I want to share about hiking around Hawaii.
                    Have camera, will hike. Check out this exhibit at UH when you can.
                    http://www.staradvertiser.com/featur...will_hike.html

'100 YEARS OF HIKING'
                    Hawaiian Trail and Mountain Club photo exhibit
                    » When: Now through Aug. 30; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays to Fridays,
                    noon to 6 p.m. Sundays
                    » Where: University of Hawaii-Manoa Hamilton Library Bridge Gallery
                    » Cost: Free
                    » Information: www.htmclub.org

Comment

I love the ocean. I love watching it, swimming in it, learning about it. It's wild, always changing, something to be respected. And definitely one of my favorite sounds. Every night I lived there, I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean and woke up to it. And when we moved back here, I suddenly realized how quiet it was without it.

Life is turbulent, and you have to get past the bad to get to the good. To get out past the breakers, you have to go through them. It’s scary and it sucks. You get water up your nose, you look stupid, you lose the person you’re with for a few minutes. You can’t get your footing. You have to hold on to your board really, really tight so you don’t lose it. You have to decide if you’re going to go over the wave or under it. It really is the worst part of the trip.

Once you get past that though, the water is calm. You can stand up again. The waves just drift by. You can take your time deciding which one you want to try to ride back in. And you can’t live in the breakers. You’ll wear yourself out and drown. You want to believe (you have to) that there are gonna be some great waves on the other side. So the only way out is through. I have to keep reminding myself of this every time I feel like it would be easier to just sit on the shore and pout.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I needed to read that. Thanks, SG.

Comment

Great analogy, SG. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Comment

Went for a hike today along the Moeau/Makapu'u coastline. Incredibly Beautiful!
                            Here's a link to a Flickr set... http://www.flickr.com/photos/6989123...7624433015918/

Come on folks, you can too!

Comment

Please don't take this as anything but inspiring others in something good...
                              U.H. Body Donor Program

I picked up my friend Denis' cremains today, down by Kaka'ako Park.
                              They had him for two years of studying. I think that's incredibly wonderful.
                              My mom's been signed up for many years and I have the papers...

A few of us will spill into the ocean and spread at the golf course his ashes.

It's all good, but I sure miss that guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X