The Last Airbender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Airbender

The Last Airbender opened on July 1, 2010.

Re: The Last Airbender

Been looking forward to it since first seeing the preview.

Comment

The critics have been merciless. Of current releases, this movie has the lowest Metacritic rating: 21. That's two points lower than Furry Vengeance, even. I certainly understand (and even agree with) most of the criticism, but it is a better movie than that.

First, I should say that I've only seen a few minutes of one episode of the television series, so I'm evaluating it only on its own merits and not in comparison to anything else. And I found it to be a mostly engaging story with awful dialogue, decent (but no better) effects, interesting scenery, and stilted acting. I blame the acting mostly on the dialogue, which sounds like the kind of thing you write for kids when you think they just won't understand it if people speak they way they normally would or say things they might really say. As it's a movie for kids, I kind of look the other way on this, 'though if it were a novel for kids I definitely would not. The fact that the story and action are interesting enough for me makes me think they'll be interesting enough for most kids.

I also don't really care that characters who were Asian in the series are played by Caucasian actors in the movie. I know this is an issue for a lot of people.

Be warned that this is the first of a planned trilogy. I didn't know that, so I was slightly disappointed. But only slightly, because although I won't go out of my way to see the next installment, I will see it.

6/10 (my IMDb rating)
      62/100 (my Criticker rating)
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        The critics have been merciless.
        Justifiably so.

When Airbender was on Nickelodeon our 14-year-old was riveted to the screen. For months it was like living with someone who's just discovered wargaming and K-dramas.

So now it's been transformed to a teen version of a Pokémon movie money grab... only with more teen drama & angst. Fond memories for new high-school graduates who can dissect all the details of the differences between the movie & TV versions. At least now most of the viewers have their own driver's licenses and parents don't have to accompany them.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

An awful, boring movie.

Comment

Saw the 3-D version of this movie at the Ward Theatre with Albert and another friend.

I suppose if your genre of movies includes fantasy, adventure, martial arts action, mixed in with some politics and minor comedy then this movie might appeal to you.

Comment

from Twitter:

@Pogue NY Times movie review: "The best way to watch 'The Last Airbender' is probably with your eyes closed."

(I came close, almost fell asleep several times.)

Comment

Working...
              X