Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What a day!

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Perhaps I'm too young to have learned hateful, racist behaviors.
    But never too young to have learned hateful, ageist behaviors, right, Tim? Or have you stopped blaming the Boomer generation for everything you don't like?

~+~+~+~+~
    Folks, remember - if you don't like someone's terminology, we are blessed with an "ignore" function here at HT. If someone offends you, stop reading their posts - it's as simple as that. Unless you are one of Tim's parents, the role of teaching him about his behavior is not one of your burdens.

Sez I - who has spent more than enough posting time in the past foolishly chiding posters for how they say something. (Hey, if anyone wants to reveal their ignorance by posting "I could care less" --- well, I couldn't care less.)

Comment

For some of us, at least for me, using the N-word (or a variation] online is clearly inappropriate. Adding that to another posting from yesterday on another topic that includes the phrase **CK YOU, B**CH, I’m wondering if I am expecting too much civility on HT? How disappointing to me.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Many of you know whether or not the following statement is valid; please do not comment on that, as it is not relevant to the point I am trying to make.

If you knew that the following statement is true:

Timkona is African-American.

- would that change how you feel about him using that word?

You may still be disturbed by it, but would you feel comfortable telling him he should not use it?

If you find that your attitude about anyone using that word changes in any fashion when you learn that the user is African-American, then you have a double-standard based upon race.

What does that tell you about yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          [...]
          If you find that your attitude about anyone using that word changes in any fashion when you learn that the user is African-American, then you have a double-standard based upon race.[...]
          A former BF is African-American. He used the "N" word in jest...once, in my presence. I explained to him how uncomfortable the word makes me and why. He was cool with it. Tim obviously isn't. That's easy to tell because he slings insults when people disagree with him. And, no...BF isn't an "ex" because of my distaste for the "N" word! He didn't want to move to Hawaii! And I didn't want to move to the mainland!

Comment

That's just the point Tutu. You nailed it. The comfort level for him using it was in the context of the usage. (Humor, Friendship, Jest, Brotherly Love, dare I say). I would have laughed comfortably when he said it, were I in the room. Your discomfort likely stems from guilt issues that show your colors like a freudian slip.

Check out a Don Rickles video some day. Try not to laugh a little.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              That's just the point Tutu. You nailed it. The comfort level for him using it was in the context of the usage. (Humor, Friendship, Jest, Brotherly Love, dare I say). I would have laughed comfortably when he said it, were I in the room. Your discomfort likely stems from guilt issues that show your colors like a freudian slip.

Check out a Don Rickles video some day. Try not to laugh a little.
              Tim, you and my husband would so get along. This topic is one of his favorites to rant about . Me? I am so ingrained into the PCiest of all PC places that I don't dare slip up. Which drives my husband nuts. The reality is that I do agree with what you are saying. I think we are all too uptight these days. We need to learn to laugh at ourselves.

Comment

Tim, glad you had an exciting July 4th. I admit I had to read your original post a couple of times to get the drift, though.

After watching Samuel L. Jackson's performance in Jackie Brown earlier this week, I got earsfull of the n word (and other stuff I probably didn't need to see ) I agree that generally we are all overly sensitive to name-calling.

Comment

Where was Mel Gibson?

Comment

Yup (and PC be damned, I'm gonna say it how I feel it)

I THINK MOST WHITE PEOPLE ARE SILLY!

Once upon a time, a chicken was happily munching away on the carcass of a dead human. You know what he said?????

Taste's just like people.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      Where was Mel Gibson?
                      Det. Murtaugh said he was too old for this sh**!

Comment

Working...
                      X