Austin City Limits and/or Soundstage on PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin City Limits and/or Soundstage on PBS

There's a chance I'm the only one who'll think enough of this topic to write anything here, but that's okay. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

I know Mel often watches one or both of these excellent live-performance shows on PBS. I have my TiVo set to record them automatically whether the programming is new or a repeat, and I'm almost always pleased. Many of the performances never get erased because I never tire of watching them repeatedly.

This past weekend, it was Willie Nelson on Soundstage. Sarah McLachlan and Duffy were on Austin City Limits. Anyone catch either show?

I thought the Willie Nelson performance was good, but not even close to as good as his performance on Austin City Limits with Asleep at the Wheel recently.

Sarah McLachlan was terrific; they should have given her a whole hour. Duffy was pretty good too, looking all hot in a short, sleeveless red dress and belting out some great songs. She's a lot less poppy than I expected.

This Saturday it's going to be Gnarls Barkley and Thievery Corporation on Austin City Limits. It's a repeat, but I missed that one.

Soundstage will also be a repeat: Counting Crows. I've seen that one and look forward to looking at it again.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Austin City Limits and Soundstage on PBS

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    There's a chance I'm the only one who'll think enough of this topic to write anything here, but that's okay.
    Count me in as a fan of both of those shows too!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sarah McLachlan is a sweetie; I met her at a mutual friend's wedding 15 years ago.

Do you also get to see the series "Live From the Artists Den"? Many PBS stations run it along with those other shows. I'm looking forward to Tori Amos' upcoming appearance.

Comment

I missed Duffy? Dayam...love her.

Comment

If I remember to, I usually catch these shows either before the 10pm news or after the 10 pm news in progress. If there is an artist I am really interested in, I'll make an effort to watch these start to finish. And yes, they have a lot of interesting established artists, regional artists and artists I never heard of. One of my favorites from long time ago on ACL was with a group called Omar and the Howlers.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I love ACL and used to live in Austin. My only regret is that I never made it to a taping.
            Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              One of my favorites from long time ago on ACL was with a group called Omar and the Howlers.
              Omar was always one you could count on for a good time and was partly responsible for the great rep ACL once had. They jumped the shark long ago, but still can surprise.
              My favorite ACL was the mid 80s night Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for big bro's Fabulous Thunderbirds.
              That's how you build a reputation!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Austin City Limits and/or Soundstage on PBS

Yes! That ep introduced me to SRV and got me hooked. I hadn't been in Austin 2 days and was walking the trail on the lake and saw the SRV statue. I had an inkling Austin was my kind of town before I moved there and when I saw that statue I knew I'd like it there.

This should probably go in the "Best Part of Today" thread but, I just found 5 unwatched eps of ACL on my DVR! Tonight might not be productive, but it will be enjoyed!
                Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Gnarls Barkley was pretty good, but although Cee-lo seemed to be in fine form, he wasn't hitting the high notes in the chorus of "Crazy," so it sounded like, "Does that make me craaaaaa...does that make me craaaaaa?" Aaargh! Then he sorta wussed out and had the audience sing the last chorus. The rest of the songs were pretty good.

Thievery Corporation was a great surprise. I knew they did a kind of downtempo groove thing, but I didn't expect it to be so heavy on African and South American rhythms. They had three or four different lead vocalists in their short set and I really enjoyed it. Probably not enough to purchase their music, but definitely enough to purchase a concert ticket if I should ever get the chance. There was some nice sitar playing, and I don't usually dig sitar.

My TiVo didn't pick up Soundstage for some reason. It's okay: I'd already seen that Counting Crows performance.

Next weekend on Austin City Limits is M. Ward and Okkervil River. If you don't know, M. Ward has been rather ubiquitous in the indie scene this past couple of years (he played here at the Pipeline this past spring, even) and is Zooey Deschanel's other half in She & Him. I'm stoked about Okkervil River!

Soundstage next weekend has Foreigner. Another repeat, but I haven't seen it.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Did anyone see ACL last week? This trio called the Avett Brothers played and they blew me away. I'd never heard of them! I've read a few articles about them this past week and the best way I can describe them is a kind of folky, bluegrass punk.

I'm downloading their latest album right now. Super stoked.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Did anyone see ACL last week? This trio called the Avett Brothers played and they blew me away. I'd never heard of them! I've read a few articles about them this past week and the best way I can describe them is a kind of folky, bluegrass punk.

I'm downloading their latest album right now. Super stoked.
                      They made an appearance on an episode of "Ace of Cakes" a year or two ago; that's where I first heard them. Strangeness abounden.

Comment

Did anyone see ACL last week? This trio called the Avett Brothers played and they blew me away.
                        I saw like about the last 10 minutes of it. Was good from what i remember. They had some kind of hillbilly rap punk thing going on.

I have one song in my iTunes library that I got from them about 6 to 8 months ago called "I and Love and You" which is a ballad that did not sound like anything I saw on the show that night. I like that song.

What is the rest of the album like?
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Classic. I gig Sunday nights, and DVR ACL as a matter of routine. Never heard of the Avett Brothers and am now a fan. They remind me some of the Old 97's with that conversational lyricism. Is there a better gig than Austin City Limits?
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

don't get to watch much tv but i recall long ago watching stevie nicks on soundstage; totally enjoyable performance....
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                            X