Lt. Governor's Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt. Governor's Race

Does anyone know who the other candidates are for the Lt. Governors race other than Brian Schatz, Norman Sakamoto and Bobby Bunda. Does anyone know why the candidates for Governor does not pick a running mate like the do in the presidents race?
    Aloha!

Geebz

Re: Lt. Governor's Race

As of July 1, 2010 here are all the people who pulled papers for the LG race.

LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
    ** LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR **
    BELLOWS, BRUCE L P.O. Box (N) 519 Haleiwa 96712 (808) 551-8135 6/10/2010 OE
    (D) BERG, LYLA B P.O. Box 240634 Honolulu 96824 (808) 754-0044 2/1/2010 2/2/2010 OE
    (D) BUNDA, ROBERT 1745 Royal Palm Dr. Wahiawa 96786 (808) 753-2452 4/22/2010 OE
    (R) FINNEGAN, GAUDENCIA LYNN 99-195 Ohekani Lp. Aiea 96701 (808) 741-5966 5/28/2010 OE
    (D) HIRAKAMI, STEVEN A 12-4265 Kalapana Hwy. Pahoa 96778 (808) 965-8253 6/10/2010 Hilo
    (D) HOOSER, GARY L P.O. Box 4094 Honolulu 96812 (808) 652-4279 4/1/2010 OE
    (N) KAMA, LEONARD L 91-205 Leimao Pl. Kapolei 96707 (808) 520-2977 6/28/2010 OE
    (D) KARAMATSU, JON R P.O. Box 970146 Waipahu 96797 (808) 542-8532 2/1/2010 5/19/2010 OE
    (R) KING, ADRIENNE S 1163 Kaeleku St. Honolulu 96825 (808) 396-1814 2/3/2010 4/20/2010 OE
    (D) SAKAMOTO, NORMAN L P.O. Box 1360 Aiea 96701 (808) 295-4489 2/17/2010 OE
    (R) WEDEMEYER-STEELE, DANA E 46-129 Aeloa St. Kaneohe 96744 (808) 366-1146 2/25/2010 OE
    (D) YAMAMOTO, JOHN S 2626 Kuilei St., #J Honolulu 96826 (808) 941-3159 5/11/2010 OE
    source: http://hawaii.gov/elections/candidat...ate_report.pdf

The Lt. Gov. race is a primary where voters choose the best person from within a party they select to be part of the Governor/Lt. Governor ticket for the General election. Primary election is Sept. 18. General election is Nov. 2.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Wow! Thank you very much Mel!

Outside of the "tie breaker" vote that the Lt. Gov has in the state senate, the Lt. Gov seems to be anything from a gate keeper to a power player.
      Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

There is no tie breaker vote cast by the Lt. Governor in the Hawaii State Senate. If a vote is a tie, the bill voted upon dies.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          There is no tie breaker vote cast by the Lt. Governor in the Hawaii State Senate. If a vote is a tie, the bill voted upon dies.
          There is no need for a tie-breaking vote, since the Hawaii State Senate has 25 members. On some major/controversial issue where everybody is voting, the closest vote tally will be 13-12.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There are some states that operate without a Lt. Governor, Arizona is one for example, and I lived there when two AZ governors were forced out of office.

So maybe it is a good thing to have one after all!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              There is no need for a tie-breaking vote, since the Hawaii State Senate has 25 members. On some major/controversial issue where everybody is voting, the closest vote tally will be 13-12.
              That assumes every Senator is present. It's not uncommon for one or more Senator to be "excused" and not be present to vote. So a 12-12 is possible. However, with Hawaii's one party system in the legislature, most bills that are allowed go to the floor for a vote pass with a large margin.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                That assumes every Senator is present. It's not uncommon for one or more Senator to be "excused" and not be present to vote. So a 12-12 is possible.
                A 12-12 tie is possible. (Not that I ever said it was impossible.) But note that I was talking about "major/controversial" issues, whereby the public expects all 25 state senators to weigh in and cast their votes. So I wasn't talking about routine/mundane legislation, where it is not uncommon for legislators to miss votes. On high-profile bills where opinion is closely divided, state senators can't run and hide. Unless they're physically ill or placed in a conflict-of-interest situation where they have to abstain, the expectation is everyone will vote. Barring any unusual circumstance or obscure scenario, 25 votes means that no matter how divided the senate is, the hot-button issue will be decided by a majority vote.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 12, 2010, 09:56 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

hi,i have one question,who maybe norman sakamoto be with who's running for Governor? it's been in my thought's since when he entered the race for lt gov? may someone please respond,.it would be truly helpful.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Steve Hirakami for Lt Governor
                    Check it out
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRtcf69euU

Comment

Originally posted by Geebz View Post
                      Does anyone know why the candidates for Governor does not pick a running mate like the do in the presidents race?
                      States differ in how they handle Governor & LT Governor races. In Hawaii, the Gov & LT Gov candidates from each party are chosen during the primary election by vote, with winners advancing to the general election as running mates. The end result is that in Hawaii, you will have the same party holding both offices. I think the system is set by state law.
                      http://hawaii.gov/elections/info/laws
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        source: http://hawaii.gov/elections/candidat...ate_report.pdf

The Lt. Gov. race is a primary where voters choose the best person from within a party they select to be part of the Governor/Lt. Governor ticket for the General election. Primary election is Sept. 18. General election is Nov. 2.
                        Not so fast, Mel. If they close the general election polls Nov. 2, they will violate federal law, according the Star-Advertiser.

In any event, the GOP will nominate Finnegan, no question. But on the Dem side, I think this one is a tossup, regardless of recent polls showing Brian Schatz with a sizeable lead. Don’t get me wrong, I think Schatz is the best candidate and plan on voting for him. But with heavyweights like Bunda and Hooser in the mix, you can be sure this one’s gonna be a squeaker!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

hi,for lt gov.my vote maybe for Ns who know's that he'll be a possible lt gov,the reason i may not vote for Bs for lt gov,he's the person who wanted our pres to become pres and at that time,i didnt vote for pres o,i voted for j mc and even though j mc with now possible for the running in a few year's his former vp that i'll vote for that she may make a great possible lady pres.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                            It indeed took me some time to interpret what you just said.

Comment

Those Lt. Governors candidates sound like rappers when you call them by their initials. They get some street cred.

Comment

Working...
                              X