Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

"Pat down" to me implies their hands are outside your clothing, just feeling around. But it seems, if I understand correctly, that they actually put their hands inside your clothing and feel your private areas with their gloved hands. Even as a man I find this unacceptable, how very much worse it would be for a woman. Yesterday a friend and I were talking this whole mess over and he said "Al Qaeda won", I guess he was right, we proud free independent Americans must give up the right to determine who gets to touch us. Strike "being secure in our persons" as another lost basic fundamental right granted by the former Constitution. Whats left of it to defend? Patting down from outside the clothing should be the limit without some kind of probable cause, American citizens should not be treated like convicted felons or like livestock. Do we have any say in changing this policy?

Comment

here is a video of the TSA (thousands standing around) or (total sexual assault) terrorizing and possibly sexually assaulting a three year old terrorist suspect.http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/1...year-old-girl/

its out of control incidents such as this that will be the doom of this program.
      most oif us innocents just picture us as breezily passing thru these checkpoints cuz we have nothing to hide. but then become victims of abuse and embarassment.
      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

A colleague of mine did a little background on the dosage from a scanner and had this to say......

"Every day we experience radiation from natural sources such as the sun and elements in the earth’s crust. The average person in the U.S. is exposed to about 300 millirems every year. For people who work with radiation, the occupational radiation dose limit is 5,000 millirems per year for the whole body and 50,000 millirems per year for the skin. The dosage that would cause radiation sickness (100,000 millirems).

As reported on NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126833083), the radiation dose from an airport X-ray scanner is 0.02 microsieverts (0.002 millirems). This is 0.0007% of the annual environmental radiation to which we are already exposed, and 0.000004% of the annual dosage limit for the skin. In fact, the scanner dose is 0.1% of radiation received from being in the air for a transcontinental flight."

And yet, I still feel uncomfortable about the whole thing. But that is due more to the privacy issue.

Comment

I'm amused by the fact that the "If you touch my junk" guy is becoming a bit of a folk hero, perhaps more so (or more deservedly so) than the JetBlue slide quitter. I think if more people make it a habit to record these interactions, the less overconfident TSA officials will be in imposing these "enhanced" practices.

Airports were reminded that they could opt-out of TSA operations, and use a private contractor. Of course those contractors would have to follow the same procedures, but I guess at least one airport hopes those contractors would be a less obnoxious option.

Good ol' Ron Paul is stepping into the fray with American Traveler Dignity Act.

And the biggest travel day of the year is a week away. A day that has also been declared National Opt-Out Day.

Comment

I got a good laugh out of this post on Facebook by a friend of mine (original author unknown):

ANOTHER GREAT IDEA FROM AN AVERAGE JOE! WHY AREN'T PEOPLE WITH COMMON SENSE LIKE THIS IN WASHINGTON ?

Here's a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at the airports: All we need to do is develop a booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have hidden on or in your body. The explosion will be contained within the sealed booth. This would be a win-win for everyone. There would be none of this crap about racial profiling and the device would eliminate long and expensive trials. This is so simple that it's brilliant. I can see it now: you're in the airport terminal and you hear a muffled explosion. Shortly thereafter an announcement comes over the PA system, "Attention, standby passengers! We now have a seat available on flight number..."

Comment

well the TSA has caved on screening pilots.
              a florida congressman is pushing for airports to opt out of TSA screening and use private contractors.
              wednesday is supposed to be a national opt out day to show the publics disdain for this invasion of privacy.
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...travelers.html

A former Transportation Security Administration employee is facing a federal embezzling charge for allegedly stealing money from a traveler's wallet at a passenger checkpoint at the Kona airport.TSA officials arrested Dawn Nikole Keka on Friday. She was a lead transportation security officer at Kona Airport.
                This incident is an example of the fact that TSA employees come from the same pool of workers as the rest of jobs. Meaning, there will be good, bad, smart, dumb, careful,careless, honest, and dishonest people in the mix of employees. So, from this same mix come the employees who are responsible for making sure the scanners are being run properly and safely.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                  this " dont touch my junk" episode will probably be the beginning of the end for this type of intrusion on our privacy.
                  it is most likely an unconstitional breach that will be tested in court. i think that is the main point. i know that when you buy a ticket you are giving permission for search but do people realize they may be giving permission to have their rights violated.
                  they have never found any bomb by screening passengers in the ten years since 9/11.
                  also what about underage children. they say that under 12 is exempt.
                  but that leaves 13 thru 17 year olds to the scrutiny of wandering hands and eyes. I know the intent of TSA in general does not include child molestation
                  I wouldn’t be so sure of that. A Kentucky family lashed out on national television to protest what TSA officials did to their 6-year-old daughter. SIX YEARS OLD! If this is what workers are being instructed to do by TSA administrators they should shut the agency down. Child molestation whether in a kidnapper’s basement or in a New Orleans airport, is absolutely wrong! The video makes me sick to my stomach. How long will we give up our civil liberties once guaranteed under the U.S. Constitutional, but now under attack by the Department of Homeland Security? Shut it down!!!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

That child is going to be ultimately damaged not by what happened at the airport but by the fact that everyone feels the need to post the photos and videos all over the internet.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Yesterday, I went through the scanner at LAX. The scanner showed I had nothing on me. After I went through the scanner, I was told that I had to have a pat down! Why? I asked TSA what showed up on the scanner and they said nothing. I asked why I was being patted down too. They said it is their policy to do pat downs "at random." Then why did I go through the scanner? They refused to answer me.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                      X