Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

A newer technology has been in use at Lihue Airport since last month - advanced imaging devices, which can look though a person's clothing to produce full-body images. Other airports in Hawaii are supposed to get them in months to come, and approximately 125 units have been installed nationwide to date.
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ue_fliers.html
    The imagers use one of two technologies: backscatter, which uses low-level X-rays to produce images that look like chalk etchings; or millimeter wave, which uses electromagnetic waves to create vivid black-and-white images not unlike photo negatives. The Lihue scanner is a backscatter device.
    "The amount of radiation from backscatter screening is equivalent to two minutes of flight on an airplane, and the energy projected by millimeter wave technology is 10,000 times less than a cell phone transmission," a TSA website says.
    Concerns include complaints that some airport officials do not inform passengers that they can refuse the whole body scan but instead choose to go through a regular type metal detector and pat-down (conducted by a person of the same gender). Conversely, the whole body imaging machine can be manned by a person of the opposite gender.

What are your thoughts about this? Do you see it as a potential invasion of privacy, or just something to be accepted in these days of terrorism?
    I have no problem having a scan
    60.00%
    No to a scan,I'll opt for a metal detector and pat down
    35.00%
    Just let the officials decide what method is best for all
    5.00%
    Last edited by Amati; July 6, 2010, 11:29 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

I think having higher-tech screening at smaller airports is missing the priority. Major airports like Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, New York/Newark, DC and Philadelphia should show the greater concern due simply to the higher traffic of both international and domestic travelers. LAX has one, but it's not operational yet. If the premise for all this is due to national security, frankly, they're putting the devices in the wrong places.

Sorry to say, but Lihue is a podunk airport compared to these other international airports. I think once the major airports have high-tech devices in place, then they can move on to the smaller airports. I laugh at the possibility of a terrorist wanting to do something in Kauai.

The technology was once considered a long time ago. Just watch the movie Total Recall at the airport scenes. Anyone who is scared or up in arms against the "radiation" of the screening devices should really stop tanning on the beach.

Comment

I always wanted to go traveling like this...

Might as well start now. HaHa!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        I always wanted to go traveling like this...

Might as well start now. HaHa!
        But what is he hiding under that pink panty...shoulda been wearing a thong
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

My concern is how much radiation is zapped at you. Even a dentist puts on a heavy protective vest on you during x-rays.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
            I think having higher-tech screening at smaller airports is missing the priority.
            Well...looking at it from another angle, a smaller airport can provide a more controllable real time environment to test the system.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Well...looking at it from another angle, a smaller airport can provide a more controllable real time environment to test the system.
              Testing should be done where it is manufactured.

The simplest thing to do when traveling is think like a traveler. Don't wear metallic clothing or belts. Be able to wear shoes you can slip on and off. Don't carry loose change or keys in your pockets. Put it all in your carryon.

It takes a matter of seconds to get through a metal detector than to sit there and wait for a one-at-a-time high tech screening device to backscatter you. But whatever. Those that don't prepare themselves to fly deserve to be late. Just don't make other responsible passengers late due to your lack of preparation.

Comment

Testing should be done where it is manufactured.
                Sure but all the testing at the manufacturer still doesn't provide results from real world deployment.

Comment

Next time I go to Kauai, I'm going to insert a huge portuguese sausage in my pants with the words, "Bite Me"!

Comment

Anything that discourages travel is fine by me - we travel far too much.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

The future is here at Honolulu Airport, as of yesterday:
                      Honolulu Airport will now use the technology, which looks through a person's clothing to scan for threats
                      http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/h...t_airport.html

"The advanced imaging technology can look through a person's clothing to produce head-to-toe images."

I'll opt for the body search instead. The XRay scan reminds me of those machines years ago in shoe stores that took xrays of feet to check shoe sizes. In hindsight, those machines were very dangerous. Who's to say that these new airport XRay scans won't be found to be UNsafe within a few years, after we've all been exposed to them.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I wonder if you can request a .jpg of your scan be e-mailed to you for use as a profile picture or avatar on social networking sites and forums.
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I think having higher-tech screening at smaller airports is missing the priority. Major airports like Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, New York/Newark, DC and Philadelphia should show the greater concern due simply to the higher traffic of both international and domestic travelers. LAX has one, but it's not operational yet. If the premise for all this is due to national security, frankly, they're putting the devices in the wrong places.

Sorry to say, but Lihue is a podunk airport compared to these other international airports. I think once the major airports have high-tech devices in place, then they can move on to the smaller airports. I laugh at the possibility of a terrorist wanting to do something in Kauai.

The technology was once considered a long time ago. Just watch the movie Total Recall at the airport scenes. Anyone who is scared or up in arms against the "radiation" of the screening devices should really stop tanning on the beach.
                          I agree. While it isn't that much of an extra hassle, it is quite stupid to put full body scanners in a place like Lihue Airport. The other thing, is TSA carries security much too far. Once, they said any liquid, paste, or gel less than 3 ounces would be permitted. I took a 4.2 ounce tube of toothpaste with me, which was more than half used, and they refused to let it through. I explained that they could obviously see that it was less than 3 ounces, and they said they go by the written size of the container.

So, I went to the men's room, put it in my pocket, and went though the scanner with it. This was before the full body scanners, but how stupid can the be????!

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                            I agree. While it isn't that much of an extra hassle, it is quite stupid to put full body scanners in a place like Lihue Airport. The other thing, is TSA carries security much too far. Once, they said any liquid, paste, or gel less than 3 ounces would be permitted. I took a 4.2 ounce tube of toothpaste with me, which was more than half used, and they refused to let it through. I explained that they could obviously see that it was less than 3 ounces, and they said they go by the written size of the container.

So, I went to the men's room, put it in my pocket, and went though the scanner with it. This was before the full body scanners, but how stupid can the be????!
                            exactly.

when I go through TSA, I just smile and do as I'm told. they're just trying to do their job--give us a false sense of security to believe they're protecting our freedoms, etc.

Any smart terrorist or drug dealer would just keep their plastic explosives/paraphernalia on their person and go through.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I'd just like to point out and laugh at the irony of this X-ray radiation fear...

One fears a couple seconds of X-ray scanning at an airport, but spends hours tanning on the beach.

The only people who should be worried about those machines are the ones who operate them all day, hours on end.

Comment

Working...
                              X