Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kauai's airport gets full body imaging

But, Can they x-ray a person's self-esteem?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      But, Can they x-ray a person's self-esteem?
      I don't know how that scanner works, but I did watch the security people and the screen, and I didn't see anything as far as a picture of the person. Still, they detected my wallet that I had in my pocket. I am not sure what they see, but I think they would have a lot of problems if they showed a picture through the person's clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
        I'd just like to point out and laugh at the irony of this X-ray radiation fear...

One fears a couple seconds of X-ray scanning at an airport, but spends hours tanning on the beach.

The only people who should be worried about those machines are the ones who operate them all day, hours on end.
        We each get to choose which concerns we want to follow up on.

If someone MADE you spend hours on the beach tanning, then you could compare being MADE to go thru an xray scanner at the airport to being MADE to spend hours tanning.

Same thing for the "body image" exposure ... someone might decide to wear itty-bitty beach attire, and thus CHOOSE to "expose their body" to the public. But that is way different than having some stranger gawking your body in an image machine at the airport "uninvited".
        Last edited by Amati; October 17, 2010, 11:23 PM.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I can play the radiation game all day.

Not being able to choose the 5 seconds of X-ray machine, but making the choice to go on an airplane that travels at high altitude with greater exposure to sun (UV) and cosmic radiation for 5 straight hours to fly to the next closest mainland airport.

Comment

I would rather submit to metal detector & pat down than get beamed. Every beam is a chance for starting something bad. This is supposed to be a free country. We hear that all the time. Yet here in San Diego a fellow who did not want to get beamed and did not want a stranger (a man, indeed) touching his "junk" had to not fly, and may face a $10,000 fine as well. He said nobody could touch him there except his wife and maybe his doctor. Its his body, he should have control over it, he should have control over who gets to touch it, thats pretty basic freedom, it doesn't get any more basic than that. He said he didn't feel it was right to have to submit to a sexual assault as a condition of flying. Actually I think you have to have an evil intent for it to be considered a sexual assault, you can accidentally bump somebody on a crowded bus and its not an assault, if the inspector isn't actually intending a sexual assault I don't see how it could be considered one. I would consider it an intrusion, an invasion of privacy, rude, an abuse of gvt. power, a denial of my personal rights and freedom as an American, but I would put up with it in preference to getting beamed with something that might set loose some god awful disease.

A few years ago a friend flew his dad, a 90 year old WW2 vet, and his caregivers to Hawaii where the dad had been born, for a nice vacation. At the airport TSA actually hassled the old guy, they bullied him, he had been a true hero, wounded during the war but as a helpless old man IN A WHEELCHAIR TSA succeeded in bringing the poor old guy to tears. Outrageous. So wrong. TSA seems like the poster boy for gvt. power run amok. And yet...I know a guy whose wife works for TSA, her viewpoint is that the flying public is mostly polite and cooperative, but a few are just out for a fight, needlessly rude. "Why can't we all just get along?"

Comment

this " dont touch my junk" episode will probably be the beginning of the end for this type of intrusion on our privacy.
              it is most likely an unconstitional breach that will be tested in court. i think that is the main point. i know that when you buy a ticket you are giving permission for search but do people realize they may be giving permission to have their rights violated.
              they have never found any bomb by screening passengers in the ten years since 9/11.
              also what about underage children. they say that under 12 is exempt.
              but that leaves 13 thru 17 year olds to the scrutiny of wandering hands and eyes. I know the intent of TSA in general does not include child molestation....but whats to prevent some sicko seeking that job to get thrills of this sort.

i predict that the public will begin similar dont touch my junk episodes and the govt will end the program.

i suspect the makers have lobbied long and hard for these contracts and that could/would be the only reason it may take some doing to have this changed.

airline pilots are threatening to strike befor thanksgiving if they havent modified the procedure for these frequent fliers.

we will see what happens.....
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

If everybody wears surf trunks, a wife beater, and slippahs, then security issues would disappear.

And if we used profiling more efficiently, without the PC folks losing their minds, then all of this would be simpler and cheaper.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Now it turns out the victim had his recorder running before the incident, TSA thinks it was a set up. TSA says terrorists are always planning new ways to attack and so TSA must always be advancing its technology. The local Republican TV channel points out that Soros owns 11,000 shares of stock in the company that got the contract for the scanners but missing is any showing of cause and effect, Soros probably owns stock in a load of companies, the timing of this contract looks like it may have gone back to the Bush era, the point is it could easily be a legitimate contract.

There is a movement for national opt out day, all air travelers opt out of the radiation beams and opt for body pat downs, the day to be the day before Thanksgiving, just to show a little backbone. I wonder how long the body pat downs would last if people acted like they were getting off on them, reaching as the Japanese poetically phrase it, the moment of rain and clouds, a soft, muffled groan, maybe a subdued thrust, a polite request for a tissue, and of course Thanks that was great. How could it not be a crime?

Wearing light clothes to fly is practical.
                  Last edited by Kalalau; November 16, 2010, 03:52 AM.

Comment

This has the making of a Jack-Ass episode.

Tell the TSA that they missed a spot. No not there. A little to the left. No not there. A little higher. Oh yeah, that's the spot. Could I get that again?
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Do you work here every day? Can I see you again? Here's my number, give me a call...

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        This has the making of a Jack-Ass episode.

Tell the TSA that they missed a spot. No not there. A little to the left. No not there. A little higher. Oh yeah, that's the spot. Could I get that again?
                        As in go to the supermarket before going to the airport and buying one of those 15" chubs of Portuguese sausage?

If we want to talk about profiling, just look at some of the TSA employees. I wouldn't trust some of them to tie their own shoes, let alone adequately search someone.

Comment

One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans
                          http://gizmodo.com/5690749/

"At the heart of the controversy over "body scanners" is a promise: The images of our naked bodies will never be public. U.S. Marshals in a Florida Federal courthouse saved 35,000 images on their scanner. These are those images."

Comment

So...the manufacturing company is in India, its lobbyist is Michael Chertoff, bush's 2nd homeland security director.

Comment

As my previous posts have stated, I have no fear or qualms about the radiation. But as a frequent flier, I've been smart enough to do a pretty efficient security screening routine of being able to put my laptop and things into the buckets and wearing non-metallic clothing. As long as there's no slow-poke in front of me, I can go from packed traveler to doffed screening to repacked in probably under a minute. The zippered lanes of alternating through the metal detector is quite fast and efficient, working passengers in parallel.

An extra gripe about it would be the added inconvenience and timing working each passenger in series while they each spend a couple seconds in the microwave. There's no smooth flow from line to terminal anymore.

I'm just wondering how many screen shots of scanned people will have middle fingers sticking up as they go through.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                                I'm just wondering how many screen shots of scanned people will have middle fingers sticking up as they go through.
                                Ummm...that's not a finger!

Comment

Working...
                                X