Honolulu Harbor Pier 6 and 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Harbor Pier 6 and 7

While waiting at the bus stop at Honolulu Harbor between pier 6 and 7 I noticed some concrete structures in the water that seemed to be used for some purpose some time ago. Took a photo of it from the pier 7 side.

So what was there before? And how long ago was it removed or was it never finished?

Re: Honolulu Harbor Pier 6 and 7

Pier 6. Isn't that where the Oceania Floating Restaurant was moored, back in the 1970s and '80s? It might have something to do with that concrete structure, but I'm not sure.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I think they may be the supports that held up a bridge that went up a couple of floors to I think the 2nd or 3rd levels of the passenger terminal area of Pier 10/11. You could drive a car up and down that bridge. It was torn down to make way for the Aloha Tower development.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Damn, I can't be the only one here old enough to remember that.

There used to be rooftop parking at Aloha Tower... on the building that was replaced by Aloha Tower Marketplace. Those concrete structures used to hold up the gigantic ramp that went up to the parking. Back then, the sight of a big concrete ramp was impressive. Today, with the nest of ramps going to and from the Nimitz viaduct, not so much.

The entrance to the ramp used to be here: (green arrow)

They got rid of the ramp long before they got rid of the old buildings. I'm guessing the ramp went away in the 70s. I don't know when the old buildings went away, but Aloha Tower Marketplace came up in the 90s.

Comment

Honolulu Harbor Pier 6 and 7 - Home Sweet Home

Originally posted by zff View Post
          Damn, I can't be the only one here old enough to remember that. I'm guessing the ramp went away in the 70s. I don't know when the old buildings went away, but Aloha Tower Marketplace came up in the 90s.
          Ha! A few of us still remember the ramp, and I'm glad it's gone. Not that the AMP was worth building...
          I'm an old harbor rat and that area was my home base for years.
          Yep, the Oceania was moored where the tourist boat sits in the pic provided, and the ramp was torn down nearing 1990 as there were concerts into the late 80s on the 2nd level, Chili Peps, Alice In Chains, Sonic Youth, Jane's Add. were some of the best before the wrecking ball hit.
          Until 1978/79 I lived on a 160' schooner at pier 6 next to the Oceania, and often swam in the harbor til I was up the mast on day and saw 2 enormous tigers swimming there, all pau! Watched a HI 5-0 episode go down there. Jack Lord drove up into the parking lot (where the museum is now and where thousands of US troops last stood on anything close to home during WW2) in the classic Buick Marquee and stopped next to me while I worked, get out and shake my hand, and we talked about boats, then he went to work.
          Around the same time I also worked on the Falls Of Clyde when she was at pier 4(?) and witnessed a cabbie on cabbie murder in the parking lot pictured in the background. Tip - Don't ever be a witness in court!
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; July 12, 2010, 09:41 AM.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Pier 6. Isn't that where the Oceania Floating Restaurant was moored, back in the 1970s and '80s? It might have something to do with that concrete structure, but I'm not sure.
            I remember the concrete structures with bridge though I never paid attention to where it led. Oceania was around it but the two were unrelated. Speaking of Oceania, I remember that establishment, a local version of the Jumbo in Hong Kong.

Comment

Working...
            X