America is Coming Apart at the Seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America is Coming Apart at the Seams

Children ordered to stop singing National Anthem at Lincoln Memorial to preserve a sense of balance. Whut da heck's goin on..!!?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/09...tional-anthem/

Re: America is Coming Apart at the Seams

[Spokesman] explained that performances, regardless of content, are banned to “maintain a contemplative and reverent area for the Lincoln Memorial, for the other guests and visitors.”
    [Spokesman] said the students would have been in compliance had they moved approximately 25 steps from where they were standing.
    “It’s not the content of their activity – that being the national anthem – it’s the location,” he said. “A couple steps and it would have been no problem whatsoever.”

Realistically, when there is a "quiet zone" or "performance free zone", the whole idea is that NOBODY can perform there. If one group is allowed to perform (even a patriotic song), then any group must be allowed to perform there (which could include UNpatriotic songs, as well as who-knows-what-all).

The fact that they were "students" singing a "patriotic song" does not change that they were in an area were performances are not allowed. Showing them favoritism would have been inappropriate. Guard A's approval of a patriotic song might be nifty, but what about if Guard B favors "Death to Americans" songs and approves that?

The students should have moved to the appropriate area. Then, later, if they want to take issue with the policy, they should work towards changing the policy. Instead, the students have learned that "we are above the law and should be more privileged than others", which is the wrong message.

Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

It appears Bob didn't read far enough into the article. The explanation began with the 5th sentence and continued to the end.

Sounds to me like the only possible problem was the security guard. He allegedly didn't provide the students with a reason. If that's true (considering the news source), the students did deserve an explanation.

And, no, Bob...this issue at the Lincoln Memorial is not an example of America coming apart at the seams.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        It appears Bob didn't read far enough into the article.
        THAT describes him to a "t," no matter the topic.

Comment

There is a designated performance area, in between the Lincoln end of the reflection pool, and the first set of stairs leading to the memorial. Sounds to me like they were in the wrong place. There are, and on a daily basis, performances at that locale. Like most of DC, you have to be in the correct guidelines.

Bob, I will assume you have bee out to the Arizona memorial, how would you feel if there were a group of people performing out there? though not NEAR as sobering/heart wrenching, the Lincoln memorial is a place for reflection and observance for many people.

There is a time and place for everything, in the District, those times at those places, and the places within THOSE places are clearly marked. May seem silly to you, but the Lincoln memorial is STILL a memorial, and certain guidelines must be maintained. These are guidelines that have been maintained since conception of these monuments. . .I mean, they are memorials. . .

I now return you to your regularly scheduled tin foil hat conspiracy.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            [...]
            There is a time and place for everything, in the District, those times at those places, and the places within THOSE places are clearly marked.[...]
            There ya go...that seems to let even the security guard off the hook. I can't blame the students for their patriotism. Bless their hearts for feeling it so strongly that they burst into song. Regardless, it was in the wrong place and they got called out on it. They weren't even cited. And, now, Chicken Little, the F$#%ing sky is falling. WOLF! WOLF!

Comment

I mean, if I wanna use a tripod to take a shot of the Capitol from the stairs, I need to get a press pass. . .you don't see me calling out for some sort of discrimination. Rules are rules, it is what it is.
              flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                Children ordered to stop singing National Anthem at Lincoln Memorial to preserve a sense of balance. Whut da heck's goin on..!!?
                Let them eat cake. Hhhmmm. Haupia cake. I'm licking my lips now, I'm ready to grind.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  And, no, Bob...this issue at the Lincoln Memorial is not an example of America coming apart at the seams.
                  There's plenny others then, like the unconstitutional health care law, children being sent home from school for wearing shirts with the American flag on Mexico Day, a Christian man being fired from Home Depot for wearing a button with a religious symbol while gay employees are allowed to wear theirs, a mosque being allowed to be built near the twin towers site. The list goes on and on. Oh, and don't forget, our foreign Marxist President suiing Arizona for trying to secure its border from illegal immigrants which the Feds are refusing to do under its own laws. Don't tell me America isn't coming apart by the seams!
                  Last edited by Bobinator; August 13, 2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    There is a designated performance area, in between the Lincoln end of the reflection pool, and the first set of stairs leading to the memorial. Sounds to me like they were in the wrong place. There are, and on a daily basis, performances at that locale. Like most of DC, you have to be in the correct guidelines.

Bob, I will assume you have bee out to the Arizona memorial, how would you feel if there were a group of people performing out there? though not NEAR as sobering/heart wrenching, the Lincoln memorial is a place for reflection and observance for many people.

There is a time and place for everything, in the District, those times at those places, and the places within THOSE places are clearly marked. May seem silly to you, but the Lincoln memorial is STILL a memorial, and certain guidelines must be maintained. These are guidelines that have been maintained since conception of these monuments. . .I mean, they are memorials. . .

I now return you to your regularly scheduled tin foil hat conspiracy.
                    Singing patriotic songs is an honor, and I've had the privilege of doing so at many military functions, including memorial events. These are the kinds of songs that represent what our soldiers died for. Of course, the lot of you wouldn't know that because there's an overwhelming shortage of patriotism as our forefathers knew it and what God and Country stands for. Our country has lost it's identity.

You can go back now to the cave you call your bedroom and play your video games while eating toxic fast food next to your fake autographed posters of Lebron James and Lady GaGa.

Comment

Somebody is having a temper tantrum and needs to be put in "time out."
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Somebody is having a temper tantrum and needs to be put in "time out."
                        Yep! He made a boo-boo, got caught and is now pounding his fists and stamping his feet! Time for the naughty chair...one minute for each year of his age.

Comment

Professional literature states:
                          By 4 years of age, most children have developed both self-control and language skills that will lessen the frequency and intensity of temper tantrums.
                          Last edited by Amati; August 13, 2010, 05:50 PM.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Well then, he's a most precocious four-year-old. We should pat him on the head for that, at least (while we hijack his threads and drift 'em where'er the winds may blow...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                              Singing patriotic songs is an honor, and I've had the privilege of doing so at many military functions, including memorial events. These are the kinds of songs that represent what our soldiers died for. Of course, the lot of you wouldn't know that because there's an overwhelming shortage of patriotism as our forefathers knew it and what God and Country stands for. Our country has lost it's identity.

You can go back now to the cave you call your bedroom and play your video games while eating toxic fast food next to your fake autographed posters of Lebron James and Lady GaGa.

lol, you mad, bob?
                              flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Working...