America is Coming Apart at the Seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: America is Coming Apart at the Seams

I don't know..not everyone has the pitch for the "rockets' red glare" part. Especially if the boys' voices are starting to change. Maybe the security guard was nursing a hangover?

You can go back now to the cave you call your bedroom and play your video games while eating toxic fast food next to your fake autographed posters of Lebron James and Lady GaGa.
    You're gonna ruin my only income, Bobbin! What will I do without my fake Lady G mall appearances anymore? All blondes in heavy make-up, wigs, no pants, and torn tops apparently look the same!

Shhhh!
    Last edited by surlygirly; August 14, 2010, 06:32 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Time for the naughty chair...one minute for each year of his age.
      Well, that'll be all of two minutes!

C'mon Bob, I know you're not a bad guy. Stop wallowing in the negative attention.

Blessed Be!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I like our form of patriotism, where we can freely complain about what our government does or doesn't do, and we can respect that not everyone feels the same way we do, and we can converse with them without resorting to whiny insults.

...well, SOME of us can do so...

Since some people seem to think they know what "our forefathers" would think or do, my opinion of what they would say is different - I think they would be proud that their little experiment in democracy has survived so long and thrived to become such an amazingly successful country. And they would recognize that it is our ability to evolve and shift "our identity" for over 200 years that has made it possible. Static, regressive things die off.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          some people seem to think they know what "our forefathers" would think or do
          I agree, we sometimes assume too much. America is ever-evolving, and our assumpions about "our forefathers" are not always completely accurate. For example, not always included in discussions of the civil war and ending slavery is the reality that there were many important underlying issues at play, including the 1800’s views concerning foreign colonization of freed slaves. Over the years in American history, colonization schemes included Nigeria, Panama and Haiti.

Congress passed the Anti-Slave Trading Act of March 1819, which appropriated $100,00 to transport blacks to Africa. President Monroe was instrumental in the founding of the country now known as Liberia. Liberia’s capital city of Monrovia was named after that President.

In 1852 Lincoln spoke: "This suggestion of the possible redemption of the African race and the African continent was made twenty five years ago. Every succeeding year has added to the hope of its realization. May it indeed by realized!"

Colonization had been an integral part of Lincoln's emancipation plan. In 1862 Lincoln wrote to Horace Greeley: "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery". Freeing the slaves for the pure sack of their being deserving of freedom was not the motivating issue; but that is often mistaken (or rather taught) as what was almost singularly on our forefather's minds during the civil war.

My point is that what we assume was on our founder’s minds is sometimes not what it appears to be at first glance. But what we do know is the “the times they are a-changin’ ", just as it always has been and always will be.

http://www.mrlincolnandfreedom.org/i...34&subjectID=3
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
          X