Dr Laura & the "N" Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Laura & the "N" Word

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is under fire for uttering the "N" word 11 times on a recent broadcast, when a caller (a Black woman) complained about her White husband and his friends making racist remarks in her presence. Below are the links to that infamous call.

Unedited audio (don't click if you are offended by hearing the N word)

Bleeped audio w/ commentary from Rev. Al Sharpton

After the proverbial dog doo hit the fan, Dr. Laura issued her apology.

Dr. Laura's apology.

Dr. Laura's apologized for her use of the N word over the air. But in addition to her uttering the racial epithet, a lot of people were also offended by her sentiment that if the caller was going to be sensitive to the use of N word in her presence, then she shouldn't have entered into an interracial marriage.

Now the first person I thought of when hearing about this racial rant was Don Imus, who was fired from his job at CBS Radio and was off the air for awhile until he was hired by another network. Now, as to whether Dr. Laura should undergo the same fate that Imus had to endure is up to debate. But it is ironic to note what Dr. Laura had to say re: Imus at the time when he uttered his racial slurs.

As for Imus, it would seem his arrogance caught up with him. His remark was insulting, stupid, mean and ugly. It was so seemingly “off-the-cuff,” that it felt too casually familiar a thing for him to say.
    Hmmm. Seems to me like Dr. Laura would do well to take her own chiding of Don Imus to heart.
    Her show should go off the air permanently.
    21.43%
    Her show should be suspended for a period of time.
    28.57%
    Nothing. She's right. People are being too sensitive.
    50.00%
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 13, 2010, 11:18 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Dr Laura & the "N" Word

It is interesting that she kept repeating the "offensive" N-word over and over, and over, to prove her point. Gee, I hope she doesn't decide to prove a point to her callers about other "offensive" words [use your imagination here].

Wasn't Dog's TV program pulled for him saying the N-word OFF AIR?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Worse or better than the "H" word?

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Undeniably there is a double standard. I have a couple of Black friends who use that word sometimes, but I don't dare, and I wouldn't, either. If it were up to me nobody would use the word, or for that matter any cruel negative words, but...we do have free speech in this country. Using a word like that says a lot more negative about the user than it does about the targeted people. Its just that if I were Black I would want that word buried and forgotten and I sure wouldn't call my friends or my culture that.

Comment

I cannot comment because we do not have free speech anymore.

Any word can be hurtful if it is used to belittle another. Frankly, I think we should start a campaign to abolish the word "brainiac".

Comment

We continue to give these idiots (Dr. Laura, Don Imus, Dog) airtime and we are shocked by their behavior? Where's the real flaw in that plan, I ask? (I can avoid looking in the mirror when responding, as I never put their blathering crap in my ears.)

Comment

As long as somebody(s) are listening in great numbers, these types of shows will continue to air, whether on the current network or on another. The bottom line is that there is money to be made, even with the occasional shock like this.

I have never been a Dr. Laura fan so I don't care what happens to her show.

The latest spin to this is that here in Hawaii State Rep. John Mizuno wants to introduce a resolution to "ban" the "N" word.

While the "N" word is bad and all that, I don't think we need a precedent setting resolution for this. Next thing you know politicians are going to be introducing resolutions or worst, laws to ban all kinds of words.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                Democratic Rep. John Mizuno said Friday the resolution wouldn't have the effect of law, but he hopes it would send a message that the word is hateful and offensive.
                How about if he works on Hawaii's problems first, and includes in his resolution to ban hateful and offensive words our own home-grown versions, such as "fu**ing haole", etc. I find HIM offensive for his jumping on the media-driven bandwagon, instead of truly thinking though the complete problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  As long as somebody(s) are listening in great numbers, these types of shows will continue to air, whether on the current network or on another. The bottom line is that there is money to be made, even with the occasional shock like this.
                  "There's money to be made?" Well, it's hard for any talk show host to make money if the sponsors start withdrawing. Remember, audience ratings, in and of itself, doesn't generate revenue. It's advertising.

Dr. Laura has been down this road before, when comments she made about gays being a "biological error" sabotaged her efforts at starting a daytime TV talk show 10 years ago. A number of companies which had earlier planned to sponsor the show backed out in the midst of protests and boycotts from LBGT groups. Having already made insensitive remarks that has offended one minority group in the past, I don't think Dr. Laura's attempt at damage control will be easier the second time around now that she has offended Blacks. This time, it is her radio show that is being threatened. Already, Advance Auto Parts is investigating the matter and deciding if they want to continue with advertising on her show. No doubt, this will be something that her other sponsors will be considering.

I don't know if there's any way for Dr. Laura to rehabilitate her image in the here-and-now. As pointed out by Keith Olbermann, her repeated use of the "N" word, bad as it was, wasn't as disturbing as her views on race relations and interracial marriages. Being out-of-touch with the present state of race relations in this country and being insensitive to minorities (i.e. anyone who is not like her) is a bad combination of traits for someone who is in the profession of offering others counsel and advice.

My advice to Dr. Laura? Rather than go through the indignity of gradually losing sponsors, station affiliates, and being grilled by her critics, she should voluntarily end her show. She can explain to her audience that now would be a good time for her to take time out (temporarily at least) from doing the program, take stock of the situation, do some soul-searching and try to get back in touch with American society, with all the changes that the 21st century has brought to this country.

If possible, make the last caller on her final show the woman Jade (the caller with whom this whole controversy started). Use that call as an opportunity to apologize to her personally. Offer her helpful advice in dealing with the problem she originally called about. And after that, thank Jade for the very important lesson that was learned as a result of this whole affair.

That, to me, offers Dr. Laura a path towards bowing out as gracefully as possible given the situation, rather than go through the indignity and humiliation of trying to cling on to her show and reputation.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 14, 2010, 07:21 PM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Dr. Laura ain't going anywhere. She's got listeners who don't give a flying consonant what she says...and there's $$ to be made . Oh by the way ,she's got an excellent background in counseling. Her Ph. D.? "Effects of Insulin on 3-0-Methylglucose Transport in Isolated Rat Adipocytes". Wikipedia

Comment

The first amendment has a condition, that if it causes harm (like yelling "FIRE" in a crowded Opera House, if I understand the meaning) it is not a protected right.

Using the "N" word, or the "F-H" words, or the new "M-T" word or back in the '70's the "C-VN-V" word are certainly offensive to some, and may cause violent social reactions, but such are still protected under the 1st Amendment because any reactions thereto are not automatic, and the use thereof is not life endangering (in most circumstances).

Our idiotic control mechanisms in this country have labeled several words as "bad" words, as if they steal candy, rob banks or take advantage of innocents. Recall George Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television." (Which list has been greatly expanded, but the original seven have been somewhat gutted.)

Racial/cultural labeling varies depending on who says it, and to whom. Friends can call each other "N" or "H-B" - I doubt that it extends to "M-T's" or other 'currently sensitive, self-righteous' groups.

Words are not "bad." Nor are pencils or pens, guns, cars, knives or even ideologies. People can be bad, or they can be good, and this can vary with time; it's not set in stone.

Take responsibility - based on your actions and intentions. And, don't let anyone steamroll you into copping a plea when your intentions were good.

Even if they DO set you on the road to Hell.

Screw Kaonohi! What does he know anyway?
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                        Undeniably there is a double standard. I have a couple of Black friends who use that word sometimes, but I don't dare, and I wouldn't, either. If it were up to me nobody would use the word, or for that matter any cruel negative words, but...we do have free speech in this country. Using a word like that says a lot more negative about the user than it does about the targeted people. Its just that if I were Black I would want that word buried and forgotten and I sure wouldn't call my friends or my culture that.
                        If you were Black,....

But if one is not and thus, not privy to the first-hand experiences (good and bad) of being Black in this country, then it's difficult to claim a place in any discussion among Blacks re: their own use of the N-word.

When it comes to a discussion about the N-word among non-Blacks, I think Tim Wise nails it.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 15, 2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          Using the "N" word, or the "F-H" words, or the new "M-T" word or back in the '70's the "C-VN-V" word .... Friends can call each other "N" or "H-B" -
                          Yikes, I'm gona need to find a code book!

Comment

I think the N-word should be kept around to describe the individuals that do things like steal, cheat, and identity theft no matter what color their skin. Like the drug addicts that assault their own kapuna to get money. Or the men that have more children than they could ever support and then brag and laugh about it. Chain snaggers, taggers....need a word to describe these low individuals, the list grows. No, I think the word should be kept around. Let's just change the meaning. A useful word when applied in the right situation, no matter the individual's race.

BTW, Dr Laura is reprehensible. Just trying to pass out cheap shots to hopefully cause a sensation. Wouldn't waste my time on her show.
                            You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                              I think the N-word should be kept around to describe the individuals that do things like steal, cheat, and identity theft no matter what color their skin. Like the drug addicts that assault their own kapuna to get money. Or the men that have more children than they could ever support and then brag and laugh about it. Chain snaggers, taggers....need a word to describe these low individuals, the list grows. No, I think the word should be kept around. Let's just change the meaning. A useful word when applied in the right situation, no matter the individual's race.

BTW, Dr Laura is reprehensible. Just trying to pass out cheap shots to hopefully cause a sensation. Wouldn't waste my time on her show.
                              As Sam Choy would say...UNBLIEVABLE!!! Wow... is all I can say!!

Comment

Working...
                              X