Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abercrombie vs. Hanneman: Poll Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abercrombie vs. Hanneman: Poll Position?

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is Mufi acting like a high mucky muck because he attended an Ivy League university like his idol George W?
    Wasn't there a local rising star politician who attended an Ivy League school too who got into trouble with gambling and drugs? I can't remember his name.
    You're thinking of Harvard grad Milton Holt.

Now that I think about it, the parallels between Holt and Hannemann are rather striking. Both of them graduated from private schools (Kamehameha and Iolani). Both of them were ILH all-stars in their respective sports (football and basketball). Both of them went on to Harvard. And both were seen as governor material.

Holt's political career and personal life eventually unraveled and he ended up going to prison.

Hmmmm.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

hi,in response to ongre,

i respect your opinion,

only i disagree that mufi use's strongarm tactic's,

it's person's like one pp who's running for mayor who'd kill rail and we'd all be stuck in gridlock forever and he think's buse's would help,it wouldnt except for person's who live in a area where we'd need buse's.

na think's by waiting a # of year's would solve the traffic problem's by waiting a # of year's as na want's to and not only this,he'd overturn gov lingle's veto and that's not right,he should honor gov lingle's veto and not overturn it since if he was gov,i'd put him on mute if he was making a speech,for mh,i'd keep him on if he was making a speech is he make's more sense. even for kc if he's mayor,he and mh could bring the rail while agreeing with one another and that'll be nice.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Is Mufi acting like a high mucky muck because he attended an Ivy League university like his idol George W?
        Wasn't there a local rising star politician who attended an Ivy League school too who got into trouble with gambling and drugs? I can't remember his name.
        Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        You're thinking of Harvard grad Milton Holt.

Now that I think about it, the parallels between Holt and Hannemann are rather striking. Both of them graduated from private schools (Kamehameha and Iolani). Both of them were ILH all-stars in their respective sports (football and basketball). Both of them went on to Harvard.
        Don’t forget Barack Obama, who fits that bill as well. He graduated from private school (Punahou), did drugs and wrote about it in his bestselling book, played basketball for an ILH championship team, and went on to Harvard. The parallels between Holt, Hannemann, and Obama are striking indeed.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
          i wouldnt have this problem is we're in a zone that would be for updated buse's is rail isnt able to come through where we live.
          It's not about rail. It's about Mufi's sneaky multiple increase in taxes per a surprise rezoning that will leave people unable to afford to stay in their homes. You may indeed have this problem someday, how would you feel then? Would you support anyone that stabbed you in the back like this, and why do you still support Mufi when he's done it now?

i disagree that mufi use's strongarm tactic's,

we'd all be stuck in gridlock forever
          Mufi is legendary about his strongarming.

While it does suck, there are many things way worse than mere gridlock.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          The parallels between Holt, Hannemann, and Obama are striking indeed.
          PPFFFFTT!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            [...]
            Mufi is legendary about his strongarming.
            [...]]
            Sansei, please reread the above sentence. This statement is...TRUE. Vote for who you want, of course. But at least vote knowing the facts.

Here's an example of what drives me nuts...
            Mufi is now countering Ed Case's endorsement of Abercrombie and Case's allegation of Mufi's strongarm tactics by crying sour grapes. Mufi stated Case is still angry that he (Case) asked for Mufi's endorsement and didn't receive it. Mufi's spokeswoman called Case's email blast endorsing Abercrombie dirty politics (or something similar...as if that ridiculous "comparison" mailout was any cleaner...damn hypocrits). Case is countering Mufi's statement claiming he never asked for Mufi's endorsement. One of them is blatantly lying...not a mere fudging of the truth or a white lie. A blatant lie. Ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Don’t forget Barack Obama, who fits that bill as well. He graduated from private school (Punahou), did drugs and wrote about it in his bestselling book, played basketball for an ILH championship team, and went on to Harvard. The parallels between Holt, Hannemann, and Obama are striking indeed.
              Tis true that Obama did prep at a private school here and spent his undergraduate years at Harvard. But that's where the similarities end, Tunnl.

Although possessing some athletic talent, he was not an ILH all-star in his sport (basketball). In fact, he wasn't even a starter.

And instead of coming back home to Hawaii after his college days, Obama re-established himself in a new city where he started off being a community organizer.

In contrast, Holt and Hannemann both eventually returned to Hawaii to settle down, where they received the "golden boy" treatment. Holt was easily voted into the legislature in his district and quickly advanced the rungs of power and influence in the state senate. In the meantime, Mufi had become the pet of C. Brewer & Co. CEO Doc Buyers, which allowed him access to having prestigious sounding job titles in a Big 5 company (VP of marketing), but which were, in reality, far removed from a corporate boardroom (supervising a guava farm and bakery).

Gee, thanks for bringing Obama into this discussion, Tunnl.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Mufi is now countering Ed Case's endorsement of Abercrombie and Case's allegation of Mufi's strongarm tactics by crying sour grapes. Mufi stated Case is still angry that he (Case) asked for Mufi's endorsement and didn't receive it. Mufi's spokeswoman called Case's email blast endorsing Abercrombie dirty politics (or something similar...as if that ridiculous "comparison" mailout was any cleaner...damn hypocrits). Case is countering Mufi's statement claiming he never asked for Mufi's endorsement. One of them is blatantly lying...not a mere fudging of the truth or a white lie. A blatant lie. Ugh...
                Ditto to all that.

More fallout from the "Compare and Decide" brochure. UH students and parents are upset over Mufi's implication that a Harvard education makes one more fit for public service over someone who matriculated at UH.

Gee, I guess the "genius" who came up with the idea of this campaign flyer didn't realize that there are a lot more students, graduates, parents, and faculty of UH voting in this election compared to their Harvard counterparts.

Way to go in winning over the voters in this state, Mufi.

Comment

hi,in response to this thread,how about pp who's running for mayor,

isnt he being like a strongarm to kill rail and leave us in gridlock? if mh that everyone think's that mh is being a strongarm in his bid for gov,how is that pp running for mayor,isnt this the same?

Comment

[...]
                    isnt he being like a strongarm to kill rail and leave us in gridlock? if mh that everyone think's that mh is being a strongarm in his bid for gov,how is that pp running for mayor,isnt this the same?
                    [...]
                    It's not the same as I see it. Strong-arm, as it's used in this thread, refers to the treatment of people; not a strong stand for or against an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      In contrast, Holt and Hannemann both eventually returned to Hawaii to settle down, where they received the "golden boy" treatment.
                      I feel sorry for Milton Holt. To use a baseball analogy, Holt was like Dwight Gooden or Darryl Strawberry. Both were great talents who self-destroyed themselves from reaching their potential. Hanneman is like Roger Clemens who will throw his fastball at the batter's head to own the plate.

Comment

FULL TEXT: Ed Case's governor endorsement

Comment

WB - your baseball analogy is a very apt one!
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I feel sorry for Milton Holt. To use a baseball analogy, Holt was like Dwight Gooden or Darryl Strawberry. Both were great talents who self-destroyed themselves from reaching their potential. Hanneman is like Roger Clemens who will throw his fastball at the batter's head to own the plate.
                            Interesting comparison.

To me, Holt, Hannemann, and Obama were all ambitious as young men, eager to be achievers in school and on the athletic field. Ultimately, all of them had political careers in mind.

But whereas Obama settled down and established himself in a new city (Chicago) where he had to work himself up from being a community organizer and activist, Holt and Hannemann came back to the islands and had things handed to them on a silver platter (at Bishop Estate and C. Brewer, respectively). They parlayed their Ivy League degrees and notoriety as high school sports stars as springboards into local politics. Things came so easily for them and at an early age,..... I think it got to their heads.

You can feel sorry for Holt, if you want. But all of his troubles (domestic abuse of his ex-wife, gambling debts, embezzlement) were brought onto himself by his own arrogance. And it is the same kind of arrogance that is now doing in Hannemann.

Comment

Not really too surprising that Grandfather In No Way was being... well if not fair, then equitable, in jumping on Hanneman for his blatantly negative slick mailed to all households comparison blast of Him vs. neal, then on Neal for some unspecified verbal comment(?) that I must have missed, and Case's two-pronged endorsement of Abercrombie and disdain at Hanneman.

I forgot his exact words, but basically 'act like gentlemen, act like Democrats should.'

I missed Neal's faux pas, was appalled by Mufi's (ultimately) kamikaze run, and expected no less from Case than he delivered.

Dan Inouye has some class, as well as his acknowledged political power.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

hi my vote if for mh for gov and i dislike na is he'd unveto the veto our current gov put on and if he happen's to be elected gov,when he's interviewed,i'd put him on mute or put my finger's in my ear's so i wont have to hear him speak.

if pp happen's to be mayor which im praying he wont,then we wont hear of him killing rail and we as a community wold be happy that we wouldnt have to hear him of fixing road's and putting more buse's on the road which wont help solve the gridlock.

Comment

Working...
                                X