Barnes & Noble doomed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes & Noble doomed?

After recently opening a new store in the Ala Moana SC it's surprising to hear they, as a company, are on shaky ground and are up for sale http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...eer-leadership
    They are a decent counterpoint to say Borders, but I find it even less satisfying in most areas of my interest.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Barnes & Noble doomed?

I like that they have non-mainstream tv series or movies that Best Buy don't stock.

Comment

Borders in Hilo is closing or has already closed this month.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Why-Ba...28754.html?x=0

Borders seems like Burger King while Barnes & Noble is the McDonalds of bookstores.

Comment

ugh... bad news for me; i like B&N. when i went to borders recently, the selection was incredibly limited; i definitely enjoy the atmosphere at B&N and find their selection to be broader. hope it doesn't happen...
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

i don't get it; this articles suggests that it's borders that's on death's door...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Why-Ba...28754.html?x=0
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I much prefer B&N over Borders - better selection, better merchandising, better layout, better pricing, better overall experience. I would hate to see B&N close.

I have client who is an executive with REI and they have a very solid presence in both retail and internet sales. I asked her about the viability of their retail stores in light of strong Internet sales. She said that was a hot topic at management right now. For now, they are going to maintain a strong presence in retail outlets, but they are watching that division closely. In the meantime, they are putting a lot of R&D into Internet sales.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                i don't get it; this articles suggests that it's borders that's on death's door...
                When I saw this old thread of mine, I realized I titled it opposite of what I'd intended. It was Borders that I meant to say, thanx for pointing it out!
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

matapule, i LOVE REI! wish i knew your friend! and i wish they had a branch here! please beg your friend to persuade REI to have a shop here!

ron, no problem! thanks for your post; i didn't realize borders was facing a real crisis.
                  Last edited by shaveice; January 11, 2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                    matapule, i LOVE REI! wish i knew your friend! and i wish they had a branch here! please beg your friend to persuade REI to have a shop here!.
                    I have a project meeting with her in mid-February, I'll ask what their plans are for the 808. Her probable response will be,,,,,,,on-line!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

btw, i've had an REI credit card for years now and their money back/dividend policy is really good; more info here:

https://www.rei.com/membership/dividend

Comment

My globe trotting spawn always trots via REI tours. She's never, ever been disappointed. Today she's swimming with sharks (cage-free) and sea lions in the Galapagos Islands. Not that that has anything to do with B&N!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          My globe trotting spawn always trots via REI tours. She's never, ever been disappointed.
                          My client is a dept. VP at REI. She often goes on the treks incognito and no one ever suspects (you would never guess). The company CEO (a woman) goes on a trek every couple of years, incognito. It is a way to assure quality control in the products they offer and it gives them the opportunity to get honest feedback from someone they are sharing a campfire with. Yep, they sleep in sleeping bags like everyone else.

There is no "glass ceiling" at REI.

Comment

that's cool; good to know that they really wanna know what's going on!

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, I've recently heard more and more thru the coconut wireless about Borders being in big trouble and the store here on Kaua'i possibly closing soon.

When Borders first opened, it did put some of the smaller bookstores on island out of business (Waldenbooks and some small, locally owned ones) and now it is virtually the only bookstore we have here - so I hope the rumors are not true, but between them revamping the store entirely recently and doing away with much of their merchandise....I'm wondering now.

I love going to Barnes and Nobles at Kahala Mall when we go off-island....it seems a nice (albeit big chain) bookstore and I'd hate to hear it was going under as well.

However, it is certainly true that more and more people (including me) are buying their books online - I can get them so much less expensively than if I have to "special order" them from Borders.

Malama Pono,

Comment

Working...
                              X