X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The City & County of Honolulu Mayor's Race for 2010

Originally posted by sansei View Post
    hi,in response to this thread,how about pp who's running for mayor,
    Normally this year wouldn't be the election for the mayor of the City & County of Honolulu but since Mufi Hannemann resigned to run for the governor's race the office of Mayor will have a special election this year.

I can't remember if the election will be during the primary or the general election.

Re: The City & County of Honolulu Mayor's Race for 2010

I think its on primary day. I do know that it is "winner takes all" - whoever gets the most votes will be the next mayor. It's funny to me that one of Mufi's big points against Abercrombie is that he resigned early which created the need for a special election - he keeps hammering on about the cost. I wonder how much extra this special election for mayor is costing?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

hi,in response to this thread.

i myself will vote and hoping pp wont win,im hoping my candidate will win.

i dont trust pp,i trust my candidate.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

I gotta be honest with you. I don't know if PP's accent is tough enough for pidgin talking bralah voters.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          It's funny to me that one of Mufi's big points against Abercrombie is that he resigned early which created the need for a special election — he keeps hammering on about the cost. I wonder how much extra this special election for mayor is costing?
          It’s still a valid point, even if Mufi is being a hypocrite. Taxpayers foot the bill for Neil’s swan song, no ifs, ands or buts. I hate Abercrombie for putting his political ambitions above the seniority he has achieved in the U.S. House. These kinds of me-first weasels only think about themselves. Regardless of whether Djou or Hanabusa replaces him, Abercrombie and Case make a pair of political opportunists who are just as inclined as Hannemann to step on others in order to climb the ladder. When Inouye dies, Hawai‘i is fcuked.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

hi,i read in the staradvertiser that pp was once in his youth a hardcore race car driver and i believe this is a reason he want's to kill rail is he's never rode on one on which in my youth i have and it's great and riding a rail,i'd never forget it and we went from sf to oakland ca and that was a great ride,this is a reason i em'ed the once mayor and let him know how great rail was and when then ff was alive,he shared the dream to our once mayor and he put it in motion and now our current gov doesnt want to sign so that she'll stall the rail,that's not good for our current gov.

im hoping and praying that she does so we'd get the rail going.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
              hi,i read in the staradvertiser that pp was once in his youth a hardcore race car driver and i believe this is a reason he want's to kill rail is he's never rode on one
              I read that article this morning, and I never saw anything that said he'd never ridden on a rail. Please give us the link and the quote, if he really said that.
              And using your same logic, Sansei, Mufi must want rail because he played with choo-choo trains and Legos as a child, right?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This is one of the last-interesting mayoral races I can remember. And I still don't know who I'm voting for. Not Prevedouros. Not Carlisle. Death before Tam. Maybe Caldwell. Where the heck is Lillian Hong? This might have been a good year for her.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  This is one of the last-interesting mayoral races I can remember. And I still don't know who I'm voting for. Not Prevedouros. Not Carlisle. Death before Tam. Maybe Caldwell.
                  That’s a mystifying choice, considering your background, scriv. I took a wait and see approach with Kirk, but the past months have yielded nothing but the same tired tax-and-spend liberal ideas. Do we continue to raise property taxes to accommodate his vision? At least Carlisle was once a card-carrying Republican who recognizes the need for fiscal restraint. I agree though, that the best candidate is probably not on the ballot.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I do get more and more liberal the more local the government. On a national level, I'm pretty dang libertarian. On a state level, I'm still libertarian but I'm much more Democratic about social issues and fairly Republican with issues of government and economics (which I realize is kind of contradictory). On the city level, I'm pretty dang liberal, but am more interested in effective leadership. With Fasi, for example, it didn't matter to me whether he was D, R, or B at the city level; what mattered more was quality of life and how he improved it. I believe at that level it can be accomplished by a conservative or a liberal.

A very liberal friend of mine points out that if elected, Caldwell will probably take it as a mandate, rather than as the least distasteful candidate in a field of ho-hums. She doesn't want him to cakewalk into taxing and spending like crazy. It's not a bad point. Meanwhile, I'm still undecided.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mufi quitting ahead of time is a direct expense to O`ahu taxpayers for a special election.

Neil quitting to save us from Moofi (oops, my bias is showing!), is spread among the entire State of Hawaii as well as the Federal Government.

Still, that said, I do not like politicians skipping out of their promises to us to further their own personal agendas. AFAIAC, an election is like a contract; but that is just my delusion.

The golden rule applies: "Who has the Gold makes the Rules."

"Come the revolution...."

K+
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        Mufi quitting ahead of time is a direct expense to O`ahu taxpayers for a special election.

Neil quitting to save us from Moofi (oops, my bias is showing!), is spread among the entire State of Hawaii as well as the Federal Government.

Still, that said, I do not like politicians skipping out of their promises to us to further their own personal agendas. AFAIAC, an election is like a contract; but that is just my delusion.

The golden rule applies: "Who has the Gold makes the Rules."

"Come the revolution...."

K+
                        So does that also put Carlisle, Djou, Apo, Kobayashi all in the same pool?

Comment

*Sigh!* Looks like Caldwell is going negative in his ads,... and using false/misleading info and data against Carlisle.

Caldwell's negative ad.

At first, I was willing to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt as far as he being his own man and not cut out of the same cloth as mud-slinging Mufi. But it now appears that the disciple has decided to follow the path of his master. This, in addition to the Mufi-like arrogance he displayed towards Kalihi homeowners who were whammied with a quardrupled property tax increase.

AFAIAC, it is now Carlisle all the way.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

For what it's worth, ThePaper endorses Mufi this morning (Sunday).

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              For what it's worth, ThePaper endorses Mufi this morning (Sunday).
                              <pssst...Kimo! Mufi's running for gov! >

Comment

Working...
                              X