Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Region Codes

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    How do I fix a Sony DVD player that reads "playback prohibited by area limitations" when I try to play a downloaded DVD disc through Nero? Is it something to do with the region code?
    This was originally posted on another thread.

Re: DVD playback prohibited by area limitations

It looks like Sonys hard line about the region and don't like a no region disk....or resolution differences either. But from what I searched through, Sonys can throw that error up as kind of a generic error too. (saw that over and over in the search results, guess Sonys are picky things).

I found this site that you might want to search for more info on your player:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...ations-problem

And just in case 'cause it comes up a lot in the search results...the differences between PAL and NTSC resolution types:

-----------------

NTSC
    Abbreviation of National Television Standards Committee. The NTSC is responsible for setting television and video standards in the United States (in Europe and other parts of the world, the dominant television standards are PAL and SECAM). The NTSC standard for television defines a composite video signal with a refresh rate of 60 fields (half-frames interlaced) per second. Each frame contains 525 lines and can contain 16 million different colors. The resolution of an NTSC VCD is 352x240 pixels, an NTSC SVCD is 480x480, and an NTSC full D1 DVD is 704 or 720 x 480.

PAL
    Short for Phase Alternating Line, the dominant television standard in Europe. The United States uses a different standard, NTSC. PAL delivers 625 lines at 50 fields (half-frames interlaced) per second. The resolution of a PAL VCD is 352x288 pixels, a PAL SVCD is 480x576, and a PAL full D1 DVD is 704 or 720 x 576.
    Last edited by Peshkwe; August 27, 2010, 02:34 AM.

Comment

I downloaded in the PAL resolution format for some reason. That might be the problem.

Comment

DVD region coding is a way the movie industry tries to prevent most consumers from playing DVDs made for other countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdl...gioncodesa.htm
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

in case you don't know, some dvd players can be "unlocked" so that it'll play any dvd; my wife's dvds from japan play on our "unlocked" dvd player. you'll have to do a search on the web to see if your sony dvd player can be unlocked. good luck...
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I downloaded in the PAL resolution format for some reason. That might be the problem.
            That'll be it for sure.

Comment

I have an APEX DVD player that I occasionally use that will play all regions. Their newer models however are coded for regional play. You gotta find some of the earlier DVD players that still work. Some of those like my 1990's era APEX DVD player will play them.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It works now when I downloaded in the NTSC resolution. There's no more "playback prohibited by area limitations."
                But, I still can't unlock the region code on the DVD player because the Top Menu button on the remote doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                X