Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waipio Little League

Waipahu shutout Texas 10-0 today.

Waipahu to play Japan tomorrow in 2010 Little League championship game.

Anybody else watch the game?
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Re: Waipahu Little League

I went out in the top of the 5th. I figured they had it in hand by then, leading 7-0.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

(i think its Waipio)
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It is, but Waipio has no P.O., therefore Little League refers to the team as from Waipahu.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I watched it today on KITV. Great pitching performance by that little backup pitcher. Congratulations to all—players, coaches, family, and supporters!

And as to Waipahu or Waipio, I think it's rather complicated. I read or heard somewhere that while the players are from Waipio and they identify themselves as Waipio, because Waipio doesn't have a post office, they're officially listed as Waipahu.

Comment

i was watching when the Texas coach went out to talk to his pitcher - he asked him if he was having fun (this was when the score was 6-0). the pitcher says "No" but wanted to stay in anyway. I felt so bad for him - these are just young kids after all.

as for the Waipahu/Waipio thing - I think the Little League folks could be politely asked to get it right! just out of respect for the kids and their home.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              [...]
              as for the Waipahu/Waipio thing - I think the Little League folks could be politely asked to get it right! just out of respect for the kids and their home.
              They were referred to as Waipio in previous games which I watched...and screamed myself into laryngitis! Missed today's game due to previous commitments. Dang! I'm just so thrilled for those kids...esp. after having gone thru my grandson's tournament in Cooperstown, NY earlier this summer and watching via streaming video over the internet. Whatta thrill!

Comment

Re: Waipio Little League

Y - P - O!!!

Great game. I did feel a bit sorry for that Texas pitcher. When his coach (his uncle) came out to the mound to talk to him in the first inning, the kid was already mentally defeated. Coach was trying to keep the kid's spirits up, but the kid was just hanging his head and completely down and out. Sad to see.
                Tomorrow is gonna be awesome! Any predictions?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Relentless. Waipio just kept coming at Texas from the top to the bottom of the batting order. There were no easy outs.

Comment

They were were representing Hawaii for all I care. Now the USA. Woot!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      (i think its Waipio)
                      Eh, sorry, but what do I know. I live Bay Area too long awready.

When I was young, I used to think Tripler Army Hospital was in the "country." You know, where the ROIA played high school sports . . . as in "rural Oahu" . . .
                      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Congrats to Team Japan. They played a great game AND a great team. Waipio is the USA championship team. Way to go, Waipio.

Comment

The extra games that Waipio had to play took its toll for the championship game. This game was a matter of inches. A hit baseball going a little more this way, and the game might have gone Waipio's way. But, you have to give credit to the Japan team for make defensive plays.
                          What's the deal with the international teams having their runner on second base signaling where's the pitch going by the position of the catcher?

Comment

Japan's first pitcher had a very interesting style...slow mo for the wind up thru planting his foot and didn't let the ball go 'til he'd completed that choreography. Effective, too.

Comment

OK, second place nationally is nothing to cry about.

The Waipio team can learn from their experience, and the tricks of the Japan team, and next time can perhaps even do better - though I am SOOOOO impressed with what they did this time!

I don't usually follow this stuff, but when my neighbors started screaming when Waipio beat Texas, I woke up!

WOO WOO !!!!!
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X