Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waipio Little League

Default Waipio Little League

Waipahu shutout Texas 10-0 today.

Waipahu to play Japan tomorrow in 2010 Little League championship game.

Anybody else watch the game?
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Default Re: Waipahu Little League

I went out in the top of the 5th. I figured they had it in hand by then, leading 7-0.

(i think its Waipio)
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

It is, but Waipio has no P.O., therefore Little League refers to the team as from Waipahu.

I watched it today on KITV. Great pitching performance by that little backup pitcher. Congratulations to all—players, coaches, family, and supporters!

And as to Waipahu or Waipio, I think it's rather complicated. I read or heard somewhere that while the players are from Waipio and they identify themselves as Waipio, because Waipio doesn't have a post office, they're officially listed as Waipahu.

i was watching when the Texas coach went out to talk to his pitcher - he asked him if he was having fun (this was when the score was 6-0). the pitcher says "No" but wanted to stay in anyway. I felt so bad for him - these are just young kids after all.

as for the Waipahu/Waipio thing - I think the Little League folks could be politely asked to get it right! just out of respect for the kids and their home.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    [...]
    as for the Waipahu/Waipio thing - I think the Little League folks could be politely asked to get it right! just out of respect for the kids and their home.
    They were referred to as Waipio in previous games which I watched...and screamed myself into laryngitis! Missed today's game due to previous commitments. Dang! I'm just so thrilled for those kids...esp. after having gone thru my grandson's tournament in Cooperstown, NY earlier this summer and watching via streaming video over the internet. Whatta thrill!

Default Re: Waipio Little League

Y - P - O!!!

Great game. I did feel a bit sorry for that Texas pitcher. When his coach (his uncle) came out to the mound to talk to him in the first inning, the kid was already mentally defeated. Coach was trying to keep the kid's spirits up, but the kid was just hanging his head and completely down and out. Sad to see.
    Tomorrow is gonna be awesome! Any predictions?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Relentless. Waipio just kept coming at Texas from the top to the bottom of the batting order. There were no easy outs.

They were were representing Hawaii for all I care. Now the USA. Woot!

(i think its Waipio)
    Eh, sorry, but what do I know. I live Bay Area too long awready.

When I was young, I used to think Tripler Army Hospital was in the "country." You know, where the ROIA played high school sports . . . as in "rural Oahu" . . .
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Congrats to Team Japan. They played a great game AND a great team. Waipio is the USA championship team. Way to go, Waipio.

The extra games that Waipio had to play took its toll for the championship game. This game was a matter of inches. A hit baseball going a little more this way, and the game might have gone Waipio's way. But, you have to give credit to the Japan team for make defensive plays.
    What's the deal with the international teams having their runner on second base signaling where's the pitch going by the position of the catcher?

Japan's first pitcher had a very interesting style...slow mo for the wind up thru planting his foot and didn't let the ball go 'til he'd completed that choreography. Effective, too.

OK, second place nationally is nothing to cry about.

The Waipio team can learn from their experience, and the tricks of the Japan team, and next time can perhaps even do better - though I am SOOOOO impressed with what they did this time!

I don't usually follow this stuff, but when my neighbors started screaming when Waipio beat Texas, I woke up!

WOO WOO !!!!!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    OK, second place nationally is nothing to cry about.
    Who got second place nationally? Texas, wasn't it?
    Waipio WON the nationals and got second place in the Internationals.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Tops in the nation!!!! Only one team can say that!! NO KA OI!!!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

I was watching the Philadelphia-San Diego game on Fox last Saturday afternoon. During one of Shane Victorino's at bats, the lead announcer broadcasting the game (along with Eric Karros at color) made mention of the fact that Victorino was from the home town of the Hawaii Little League team that was in the finals of the LLWS. The announcer (last name Llewellyn..forgive spelling please!) didn't say Waipahu/Waipio, he just said Victorino was from their home town. I always thought Victorino was from the Wailuku/Kahului area on Maui. Perhaps has he taken up residence in the Waipahu area in the off season?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
    [...]I always thought Victorino was from the Wailuku/Kahului area on Maui. Perhaps has he taken up residence in the Waipahu area in the off season?
    Me, too, SFB. Well, Maui, anyway. I don't think I've paid attention to what town on Maui.

BTW...a reality check on my eyes, here. Hawaii News Now has given the Waipio team a lot of attention since they arrived back home...all deserving, I might add. At one point I looked up at my TV screen and saw a congratulatory graphic. I'm reasonably certain I saw the team referred to as...WAIPOI!!! Did anyone else see this?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
    I always thought Victorino was from the Wailuku/Kahului area on Maui.
    Definitely from Wailuku.

My husband is an avid follower of the Waipahu/Waipio kids. I was at my mother's for a few days and he gave me a blow by blow description of every game while I was on the phone with him

Several years ago when the Ewa team won, I expressed (I think) the lone voice of dissent about all the fuss. I love baseball, as most of you know, and would call it my religion if I didn't already have a faith. But so much about the big deal we make turns me off that I've been rooting against Hawaii teams in the LLWS ever since.

I'm happy for the boys, of course, but there are just so many things I find distasteful about all of this. The governor's suggestion that the community chip in to help families pay for their expenses irritates me further. What she (and the local news organizations) seem to be forgetting is that the community has already chipped in with purchases of chili tickets, sweet bread, Portuguese sausage, or whatever. Those of us who are coworkers or family members of the athletes' parents have been paying for these trips for years. Asking for more money to help pay for the families' expenses is going too far.

I won't tell others how to spend their hard-earned money, but I'm not throwing in. Supporting these athletes has been almost a lifelong offering of mine, and I do it gladly, but enough is enough. And where are the special bank accounts and governors' pleas for support for local spelling bee champs, students on missions trips, or other non-athletic pursuits?

Congratulations indeed to our young men. Now get your butts in your school seats and get caught up on your schoolwork and don't ever complain about missed classroom time the next time we have to cut school days.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Several years ago when the Ewa team won, I expressed (I think) the lone voice of dissent about all the fuss. I love baseball, as most of you know, and would call it my religion if I didn't already have a faith. But so much about the big deal we make turns me off that I've been rooting against Hawaii teams in the LLWS ever since.

I'm happy for the boys, of course, but there are just so many things I find distasteful about all of this. The governor's suggestion that the community chip in to help families pay for their expenses irritates me further. What she (and the local news organizations) seem to be forgetting is that the community has already chipped in with purchases of chili tickets, sweet bread, Portuguese sausage, or whatever. Those of us who are coworkers or family members of the athletes' parents have been paying for these trips for years. Asking for more money to help pay for the families' expenses is going too far.

I won't tell others how to spend their hard-earned money, but I'm not throwing in. Supporting these athletes has been almost a lifelong offering of mine, and I do it gladly, but enough is enough. And where are the special bank accounts and governors' pleas for support for local spelling bee champs, students on missions trips, or other non-athletic pursuits?

Congratulations indeed to our young men. Now get your butts in your school seats and get caught up on your schoolwork and don't ever complain about missed classroom time the next time we have to cut school days.
    Hmmm...

WAIPIO!!!!!! YOU DA BEST!!!!!!

Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Scriv...I can only venture a guess as to the real reason the governor got involved...that guess being that the team bought one heckuva lot of free advertising for Hawaii, worldwide. Tourism will probably benefit. Yes, there is a segment of the community that has already chipped in, including family, friends and fundraising customers. But those numbers surely pale in comparison to the much larger community, aka: the State, that hasn't contributed whether they want to or not. I honor your opinion as long as you accept there are people who don't fall into one of the categories above, who don't find the idea offensive and do, in fact, wish to contribute. Freedom of choice rocks!

The City is holding a parade for the Waipio Little League All-Stars and seven other champion youth sports teams and individuals this Sunday.

http://www.honolulu.gov/csd/publicco...fChampions.htm
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

I have no problem if people want to contribute money to the Waipio LL families. But I would point out that the expenses for the players and coaches that advance to the LLWS are paid by Little League, Inc. which has deep pockets from television contracts and corporate sponsors. How about equal treatment from the Gov for the Ewa PONY team that won the Bronco World Series this year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast