Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waipio Little League

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    OK, second place nationally is nothing to cry about.
    Who got second place nationally? Texas, wasn't it?
    Waipio WON the nationals and got second place in the Internationals.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Tops in the nation!!!! Only one team can say that!! NO KA OI!!!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Waipahu Little League

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post

as for the Waipahu/Waipio thing - I think the Little League folks could be politely asked to get it right! just out of respect for the kids and their home.
        I was watching the Philadelphia-San Diego game on Fox last Saturday afternoon. During one of Shane Victorino's at bats, the lead announcer broadcasting the game (along with Eric Karros at color) made mention of the fact that Victorino was from the home town of the Hawaii Little League team that was in the finals of the LLWS. The announcer (last name Llewellyn..forgive spelling please!) didn't say Waipahu/Waipio, he just said Victorino was from their home town. I always thought Victorino was from the Wailuku/Kahului area on Maui. Perhaps has he taken up residence in the Waipahu area in the off season?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
          [...]I always thought Victorino was from the Wailuku/Kahului area on Maui. Perhaps has he taken up residence in the Waipahu area in the off season?
          Me, too, SFB. Well, Maui, anyway. I don't think I've paid attention to what town on Maui.

BTW...a reality check on my eyes, here. Hawaii News Now has given the Waipio team a lot of attention since they arrived back home...all deserving, I might add. At one point I looked up at my TV screen and saw a congratulatory graphic. I'm reasonably certain I saw the team referred to as...WAIPOI!!! Did anyone else see this?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
            I always thought Victorino was from the Wailuku/Kahului area on Maui.
            Definitely from Wailuku.

My husband is an avid follower of the Waipahu/Waipio kids. I was at my mother's for a few days and he gave me a blow by blow description of every game while I was on the phone with him

Comment

Several years ago when the Ewa team won, I expressed (I think) the lone voice of dissent about all the fuss. I love baseball, as most of you know, and would call it my religion if I didn't already have a faith. But so much about the big deal we make turns me off that I've been rooting against Hawaii teams in the LLWS ever since.

I'm happy for the boys, of course, but there are just so many things I find distasteful about all of this. The governor's suggestion that the community chip in to help families pay for their expenses irritates me further. What she (and the local news organizations) seem to be forgetting is that the community has already chipped in with purchases of chili tickets, sweet bread, Portuguese sausage, or whatever. Those of us who are coworkers or family members of the athletes' parents have been paying for these trips for years. Asking for more money to help pay for the families' expenses is going too far.

I won't tell others how to spend their hard-earned money, but I'm not throwing in. Supporting these athletes has been almost a lifelong offering of mine, and I do it gladly, but enough is enough. And where are the special bank accounts and governors' pleas for support for local spelling bee champs, students on missions trips, or other non-athletic pursuits?

Congratulations indeed to our young men. Now get your butts in your school seats and get caught up on your schoolwork and don't ever complain about missed classroom time the next time we have to cut school days.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Several years ago when the Ewa team won, I expressed (I think) the lone voice of dissent about all the fuss. I love baseball, as most of you know, and would call it my religion if I didn't already have a faith. But so much about the big deal we make turns me off that I've been rooting against Hawaii teams in the LLWS ever since.

I'm happy for the boys, of course, but there are just so many things I find distasteful about all of this. The governor's suggestion that the community chip in to help families pay for their expenses irritates me further. What she (and the local news organizations) seem to be forgetting is that the community has already chipped in with purchases of chili tickets, sweet bread, Portuguese sausage, or whatever. Those of us who are coworkers or family members of the athletes' parents have been paying for these trips for years. Asking for more money to help pay for the families' expenses is going too far.

I won't tell others how to spend their hard-earned money, but I'm not throwing in. Supporting these athletes has been almost a lifelong offering of mine, and I do it gladly, but enough is enough. And where are the special bank accounts and governors' pleas for support for local spelling bee champs, students on missions trips, or other non-athletic pursuits?

Congratulations indeed to our young men. Now get your butts in your school seats and get caught up on your schoolwork and don't ever complain about missed classroom time the next time we have to cut school days.
                Hmmm...

WAIPIO!!!!!! YOU DA BEST!!!!!!

Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Scriv...I can only venture a guess as to the real reason the governor got involved...that guess being that the team bought one heckuva lot of free advertising for Hawaii, worldwide. Tourism will probably benefit. Yes, there is a segment of the community that has already chipped in, including family, friends and fundraising customers. But those numbers surely pale in comparison to the much larger community, aka: the State, that hasn't contributed whether they want to or not. I honor your opinion as long as you accept there are people who don't fall into one of the categories above, who don't find the idea offensive and do, in fact, wish to contribute. Freedom of choice rocks!

Comment

The City is holding a parade for the Waipio Little League All-Stars and seven other champion youth sports teams and individuals this Sunday.

http://www.honolulu.gov/csd/publicco...fChampions.htm
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I have no problem if people want to contribute money to the Waipio LL families. But I would point out that the expenses for the players and coaches that advance to the LLWS are paid by Little League, Inc. which has deep pockets from television contracts and corporate sponsors. How about equal treatment from the Gov for the Ewa PONY team that won the Bronco World Series this year?

Comment

...and what about ALL the soccer, softball, baseball, volleyball, and wrestling teams that competed on the mainland this year? Why no equal love for them?
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh geez. Can't we all just be happy for the Waipio little leaguers in this thread? Why turn this discussion into a grievance for some other team?
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I agree, FM. However I would like to address Scriv's reply...
                            Scriv...if the teams you mentioned did, in fact, go to the mainland to successfully compete at the national and international level and could've brought a lot a positive publicity and attention to Hawaii and Hawaii's youth then I agree with you. They should've received the same attention as the WLL team.

Comment

Exactly! We go the extra mile to support teams that win. THAT's why I've been rooting for the teams to lose. If we truly think that competition at this level is about building character, I think our young men and women have more to gain by losing.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Sometimes, scrivener, the unusual ways your mind works make a lot of sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X