New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

I did a lot of photography in the 70's and the guy who helped me with my prints had a little office on the roof of that building - you had to walk across all these little catwalks on the roof to get to it. and my boyfriend had his office there too - right across the hall from GreenPeace/Save the Whales. I spent a lot of time at 404 Piikoi.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    โ€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I remember a casting director or talent agent having an office in that building, too. Can't remember which one, tho'!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Hawaii Five-0 is starting to look like it can't decide if it wants to be a sitcom, a crime drama, a soap opera, or all of the above.
        Some of the comedy centers around Danno experiencing life in Hawaii, I wouldn't be surprised if an episode has him cooking poke just because he is used to cooking fish.

Comment

Originally posted by DXer View Post
          Wasn't 404 Piikoi St., that old warehouse building across the street from Ala Moana Center (where KHON2 is now)? I think that was the original home of Jelly's. Plus some mattress company that had an ad slogan, with something like, "404 Piikoi, represented by the sandman". Just thinking out loud.

DXer
          404 Piikoi was the home to Von Hamm Young (VHY) back in the 60's. How the Hawaiki Towers got to get that famed address re-addressed is beyond me. To me that address should never have been changed.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            Some of the comedy centers around Danno experiencing life in Hawaii, I wouldn't be surprised if an episode has him cooking poke just because he is used to cooking fish.
            I'd like to see an episode where he comes across a nest of these:

Comment

I think the 5-0 solved the gridlock problem without the rail.

Comment

"It looked like he was trying to emulate and surpass several medical examiners on other top TV shows whose characters are eccentric, but it went way too far.
                Hawaii Five-0 is starting to look like it can't decide if it wants to be a sitcom, a crime drama, a soap opera, or all of the above.
                If it wasn't for being filmed here, I'd probably quit watching it. But with the Hawaii factor -- and with Grace Park -- I'll probably continue."

I agree..... Emulating the other cop and CSI shows is going to be a huge mistake. Cop shows generally as a genre are reaching the end of their cyclical popularity and it's going to be a bitter ratings race after this season, especially with network TV shows generally slogging it out with cable/satellite these days.

5-0 will not survive if they don't stop with the all the attitude and eccentric doctors and downright bizarre, over-the-top plot lines, they've seen their first and last season.

Comment

Between the 2 shows I watch on Monday nights, I find NBC's "The Event" a more compelling "must see" vs. the new "Hawaii Five-0."

I am still watching 5-0 just to see how the show is going and where stuff was shot for the week.

I have concluded this ain't the original 5-0 and will never come close to being.

The only thing I like besides the familiar theme song about the new 5-0 is... well Grace Park... nice eye candy... more attractive than the Cylon she played, but I know based on that show, "Battlestar Galactica" that her acting abilities can be put to better use.

Just my 2 cents.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I don't think it was ever meant to replicate the original. I like that they use the original theme and didn't mess with it too much - but i'm enjoying the show for its entertainment value. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be like the original so I'm not disappointed that it is different. Hawaii has changed over the years. I would expect the show to change too.

just my 2 cents worth here.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    โ€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Adding another 2ยข here...

This week's episode was a rebound from last week's. Nicely shot, pretty good story, and while Grace Park was in a bikini a lot, she did her best acting since the series started.

The only thing was why is Waimea Bay so calm if this story occurred during the surfing season?

There 4ยข is all I have for this week.

Happy viewing everyone.
                      Last edited by mel; October 25, 2010, 10:05 PM.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I am sort of noticing that the outdoor shots tend to be of an orange tint to it and tonight's episode seems to have a lot of it.

Best line of the episode has to be:

"Danno don't surf"

And car chase with a jeep in an unpaved winding road.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          The only thing was why is Waimea Bay so calm if this story occurred during the surfing season?

There 4ยข is all I have for this week.

Happy viewing everyone.

Probably because it was shot in the summer when Waimea is usually pretty flat? They aren't filming it for us here but for the guys in the midwest who never seen real surf! If you didn't live here - you wouldn't know it wasn't accurate and neither would I. I'd just think it was a fun show to watch and dream about someday visiting Hawaii if I was lucky.
                          Last edited by mel; October 26, 2010, 08:51 AM. Reason: fix quote tag bracket
                          โ€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as last week's, but I did appreciate that Grace got her a storyline. The last five minutes were a bit sappy; most of the Twitterstream seemed to like it.

Let me be one voice who likes this new incarnation better than the old. I was young when the original was on the air and didn't enjoy it much. I guess I could give it another chance now that I'm older, but crime dramas from the seventies just never did it for me.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I watched the original mostly to see where they were filming and who I might know that was on the show. My husband was an HPD officer and was on a couple of times. I worked with Harry Endo (Che Fong) and so spent some time on set when they were filming (things were much looser in those days). It was fun but I spent more time watching the backgrounds than paying attention to the stories. I'm pretty lost when it comes to story lines but still enjoy watching the old ones. Because of all of the above - they seem like new stories to me.
                              โ€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                                I don't think it was ever meant to replicate the original.[...]
                                Bingo!
                                Originally posted by mel View Post
                                [...]Grace Park [...], she did her best acting since the series started.
                                That was my first thought when the show ended tonight.
                                The only thing was why is Waimea Bay so calm if this story occurred during the surfing season?[...]
                                Surf season (winter) doesn't have big waves 24/7. There are a lot of calm days, too; just less of 'em. But, anapuni's right. Most MLers aren't going to notice something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X