New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Dramatic license, folks! Done all the time. Except obvious continuity errors of which, as a former script supervisor, I don't consider the Chin/boat scene to be one of 'em. I just reviewed that scene and, if there's another boat camera right of the boat Chin boards, it doesn't show. The boat in slip 71 could've been the boat at the end of the dock. More ironic to me is that Chin just happened to stop his bike at slip 71 prior to learning that was the boat in question!!! And we don't know what was in the scenes that didn't make the edit due to time constraints.

Aloha from your friendly devil's advocate!

Comment

• Christmas music and continuity holes

Christmas songs from the episode:

Episode 12 “Hana ‘A’a Makehewa [desperate measures]
      Bing Crosby – Mele Kalikimaka
      Scene: Danno decorates his Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

Na Leo Pilimehana – Kana Kaloka (Santa Claus Is Coming To Town)
      Scene: end scene at Danno’s apartment

Manawa Pono – Po La’i E (Silent Night)
      Scene: end scene at Danno’s apartment

Tracking down Manawa Pono's Silient Night took some leg work. Shazam didn't recognize it, and I got misdirected because I thought it could have been Iz or Brothers Caz...

Very interesting discussion about the continuity holes...

I think the writers had to suck up that one hole of Chin being at the condo at dusk and McG and Danno being at Bar 35 at night... it may have to do with the fact that the C&C wouldn't let them tear through downtown streets, drifting around corners and driving on the sidewalk during the day.

Locals...

Total agreement about portrayals of locals. We've seen a lot of thugs so far. Off the top of my head I think Sid (ep 3) is the only local character with a big role who wasn't a criminal (he was a UC HPD officer).

The good news is that one local actor will be in the 1/3/11 episode...
      Augie T will be in the 1/3/11 episode with a speaking part. Dunno how big it's going to be. He's listed as Kekipi in the presser...Kekipi was the helicopter company that McG and Chin borrowed a heli from. I'm guessing he's coming back as the owner/pilot.

Mahalo and check out my blog
      http://www.50undercover.com

Comment

If you are watching the new Hawaii 5-0, I recommend going to Twitter and search for the trending #h50. Honolulu's Twitteratti watch and post comments, mostly hilarious, about the episode as they watch. Try it, good fun!

Comment

A couple more nods to the old series:

Dennis Chun (son of the late Kam Fong) was cast as Sgt. Duke Lukela. Dennis made a few appearances on the original show, so it was nice to see on-screen again. But to give him the character of Duke in what was essentially a tiny cameo role? Strange.

What's next? Is a "Ben Kokua" going to show up in a later episode as a non-descript HPD officer, directing traffic?

Marika Yamato, who played the nosy old lady, is another veteran from the original 5-0 series, appearing in a handful of episodes in bit roles.

One thing about the original Hawaii Five-0 that wasn't so great was Yellowface casting. That is, Caucasian actors being cast in Asian roles. (Ricardo Montalban, Mark Lenard, David Opatoshu, and Phillip Pine were among such H50 guest stars.) While the current series has thankfully done away with that asinine practice, it seems like someone in incapable of coming up with suitable character names to match the actors. Already, we've seen Masi Oka taking on the role of "Dr. Bergman." Now, we see a burly, swarthy Chaz Mann being cast as "Kishimoto," even though he doesn't look remotely Japanese. Is it so hard for the writers to come up with surnames that kind of matches the ethnic appearance of the actors? I mean, GMAB!
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 16, 2010, 05:41 PM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            [...]
            Dennis Chun (son of the late Kam Fong) was cast as Sgt. Duke Lukela. Dennis made a few appearances on the original show, so it was nice to see on-screen again. But to give him the character of Duke in what was essentially a tiny cameo role? Strange.
            I understand it will be a recurring role.
            [...]... it seems like someone in incapable of coming up with suitable character names to match the actors. Already, we've seen Masi Oka taking on the role of "Dr. Bergman."
            Maybe our own Scrivener should weigh in on this one! Still, I'd love to know the story behind the naming of Oka's character!
            Now, we see a burly, swarthy Chaz Mann being cast as "Kishimoto," even though he doesn't look remotely Japanese.
            Hey, FM, it's Hawaii! Whaddaya expect?! You wouldn't believe the last names that don't remotely resemble faces that come thru my office. I doubt mainland audiences will be bothered by this. Chaz could easily have some Japanese blood somewhere down the lineage without it appearing dominant! And, as Kashimoto, maybe the character's dad was mixed Japanese as was his dad, yada, yada! j/k...but you get the picture.
            Is it so hard for the writers to come up with surnames that kind of matches the ethnic appearance of the actors? I mean, GMAB!
            Consider your question now released into the universe and maybe it will be addressed...or at least read!

Mele Kalikimaka from your friendly devil's advocate!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Hey, FM, it's Hawaii! Whaddaya expect?! You wouldn't believe the last names that don't remotely resemble faces that come thru my office.
              Being someone who was born and raised here, I'm more than acquianted with the concept of some people having a mixed ethnic heritage, being adopted, or having some other interesting story behind their family names. But thanks for sharing your "melting pot" observations.

Getting back to what I was talking about,.... I can believe seeing such characters showing up on the series every once in awhile. But it seemed to happen a bit too often on the old series. I wonder if this will be something that the new series will also carry on?

I doubt mainland audiences will be bothered by this.
              Maybe. Maybe not. But something sure is. This week's rating of 2.9, while still tops for its time slot, is not a significant improvement over the past few weeks, even though Hawaii Five-0 was pitted against a Castle rerun.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[...] This week's rating of 2.9, while still tops for its time slot, is not a significant improvement over the past few weeks, even though Hawaii Five-0 was pitted against a Castle rerun.
                Do you attribute this to surnames not matching ethnic appearances?

Comment

Do you attribute this to surnames not matching ethnic appearances?
                  By itself, no. But having too many implausibilities can add up.

Comment

I'm not understanding this. Are we talking about the old Five-O?

Duke was Herman Wedemeyer. Was Duke played by D Chun before that?

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                      I'm not understanding this. Are we talking about the old Five-O?

Duke was Herman Wedemeyer. Was Duke played by D Chun before that?
                      Look at the IMDb page for the latest episode. Dennis Chun was cast as Duke Lukela.

Yes, I'm aware of Herman Wedemeyer being Duke on the original show.

Say, without looking up the answer on IMDb, do you know what the name of Herman Wedemeyer's first Hawaii 5-0 character was?

Comment

By itself, no. But having too many implausibilities can add up.
                        I understand what you're saying and respect your interest in and knowledge about the original H50. That said, do you think the majority of the viewers see or care about the majority of those implausibilities, esp. since H50 is a drama and not a documentary? I would think that storyline, action and acting would sway the viewers more.

My uneducated guess is that similar conversations are taking place about "Outsourced" and any other show indigenous to a particular location or culture. We still have "Off the Map" to look forward to beginning Jan. 12. I'm sure those of So. American descent will have something to say about the various nationalities portraying them and the Hawaii locations subbing for a South American jungle!

Comment

Look at the IMDb page for the latest episode. Dennis Chun was cast as Duke Lukela.

Yes, I'm aware of Herman Wedemeyer being Duke on the original show.

Say, without looking up the answer on IMDb, do you know what the name of Herman Wedemeyer's first Hawaii 5-0 character was?
                          Kam Fong's son's last name is Chun? Very possible today, but that was old school where families all have the same last name.

We already repeated this. Is Hollywood confused about Hawaiians and Asians?

As for who he was before Duke, I don't recall. However, I do recall seeing the reruns, as a kid back then, and noticed Duke was another guy before he was Duke.

I'm collecting the DVDs, but I've only watched up the season 2 so far.

Comment

I understand what you're saying and respect your interest in and knowledge about the original H50. That said, do you think the majority of the viewers see or care about the majority of those implausibilities, esp. since H50 is a drama and not a documentary? I would think that storyline, action and acting would sway the viewers more.
                            I agree with your last sentence. It goes without saying.

But I think that having too many minor implausibilities here and there can detract from what might otherwise be an excellent show. Fictional or not.

I mean, there are Caucasian people in this country who have adopted the Muslim faith. But if over the course of time, a show like SCI NY casts blond-haired, blue-eyed actors for the majority of Muslim roles with names like Muhammad Abdul Ali,.... honestly, don't you think that will illicit a skeptical reaction from the audience after awhile?

I don't think it's any different if Hawaii Five-0 starts to go overboard in this vein.

Comment

[...]
                              But I think that having too many minor implausibilities here and there can detract from what might otherwise be an excellent show.[...]
                              But if over the course of time, a show like SCI NY casts blond-haired, blue-eyed actors for the majority of Muslim roles with names like Muhammad Abdul Ali,.... honestly, don't you think that will illicit a skeptical reaction from the audience after awhile?[...]
                              My emphasis in your quote above addresses this situation, imnsho! I feel that viewers would notice if the majority of Muslim roles were portrayed by blue-eyed blonds. Would they stop viewing or would the paradigm shift a bit? I don't know. I guess it would depend on the storyline. Having several minor implausibilities is less obtrusive, esp. those that the majority of viewers won't even notice, such as Chaz portraying "Kishimoto" or renaming a location. I bet more than a few viewers noticed the Oka/Bergman role name, tho'! Maybe there will be an explanation of his name in a future episode, much like the ep when we learned how Danno got his nickname. Who knows, Dr. Bergman's adoptive parents (played by Billy Crystal...where's Sammy Davis, Jr. when I need him!...and Rhea Perlman) could visit their son during a vacation in Hawaii and become embroiled in a hostage situation in a comedy club!

Comment

Kam Fong's son's last name is Chun? Very possible today, but that was old school where families all have the same last name.
                                Dennis Chun's famous father has always had the legal name of Kam Fong Chun. "Kam Fong" was the actor's stage name.

There's nothing unusual about that in show biz. And certainly not unheard of on the Hawaii Five-0 set. After all, Zulu (Gilbert Kauhi) was a stage name. Jack Lord (John Joseph Patrick Ryan) was also born with a different name, although he went through the process of making his new name official.

As for who he was before Duke, I don't recall. However, I do recall seeing the reruns, as a kid back then, and noticed Duke was another guy before he was Duke.
                                Herman's first 5-0 character was a plainclothes HPD officer. In the closing credits, he was referred to as Lt. Balta, although no one called him by that name during the show.

Herman then had a number of different bit roles, until he settled in to being "Duke" sometime during the 4th season.

Comment

Working...
                                X