New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Yes, the Camaro looked great. Maybe the Mustang is gone because Chevy came in as a sponsor after the pilot was shot.
    Still no seatbelts and very little of the driver actually looking at the road.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This is a fun show!

I like the way Danny defiantly wears a tie, a ratty tie to be sure, but still a tie. I wonder it he'll wear it throughout the series. It's just one of the things that make him the most interesting character in this show.

Comment

And they use cell phones while operating vehicles. tsk tsk
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
          A few noteable guest stars seen (don't wanna say who/whom so I do not spoil for others that has not seen episode 2 yet.
          That hardly seems necessary. The title of the thread SAYS it's where the episodes and storyline will be discussed. Anyone who wants to avoid spoilers (as you probably did) will avoid the thread until they've seen the relevant episodes.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            1. Looks like this will be more of a buddy type of police show vs. the kind of show the original was - not too much focus on the wooden bad guys... some focus on the victims - much of the story still revolves around the 5-0 team.
            More like the Odd Couple, combined with the level of action and violence typical of a basic cable TV show like Burn Notice. I suspect that the phenomenom of Steve & Danno butting heads with each other will be an ongoing theme throughout the series.

4. I still miss the incidental "Hawaii Five-0" theme music sprinkled within the episodes like the original.
            I do too. But even more, I miss the stable of supporting characters that the original 5-0 featured on a regular basis. The M.E. (Doc), the forensics expert (Che Fong), the secretary (Jenny), the District Attorney (Manicote). The original show didn't exclusively focus on the starring cast and the storylines seldom conjured up plots where it was just the four 5-0 officers singlehandedly cracking the cases all by themselves.

5. The Danny character is the scene stealer.
            I'll do you one better. I think Scott Caan is the one actor who gives the show some soul and is keeping it from sinking into the same kind of boring and incomprehensible mess that torpedoed Hawaii from the get-go. That said, I don't know if a charismatic, wise-crackin' Danno alone will be enough to captivate a TV audience over the long haul. The other actors will have to step it up.

If the show skews too much of a "local" Hawaii lifestyle, it could lose its mainland based audience. Happened with an ABC TV show called "Byrds of Paradise"... was too local, everyone in Hawaii who watched it caught on, but the show did not connect with a mainland audience....
            Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            There was a lot less local flavor in this episode.
            Yeah well, the audience ratings still went DOWN, from 13.8 million viewers to 12.3 million, losing the battle to ABC's Castle.

And I'm gonna have to challenge this supposed bit of conventional wisdom about Hawaii-based TV shows. Yes, Byrds of Paradise and Island Son, both knee-deep when it came to exploring local issues and themes, were ratings failures. But both shows were homespun dramas that had little to draw upon as far as action, suspense, and exotic locales went. If the new Hawaii 5-0 wants to tackle storylines that involves the Hawaiian independence movement, the environment/development debate, racial tensions, etc., etc...., I think these things can be woven into the plots, as the writers can still incorporate all kinds of explosions, car chases, and high-tech gadgetry at the right moments so that things don't get too stale for the segment of "Mainland viewers" who supposedly don't care about these themes. But for the record, I think that there is a segment of those who do care, and it would be a mistake to assume that the Byrds of Paradise experience means that such viewers are non-existent.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              [...]But even more, I miss the stable of supporting characters that the original 5-0 featured on a regular basis. The M.E. (Doc), the forensics expert (Che Fong), the secretary (Jenny), the District Attorney (Manicote).[...]
              A curiosity question for my challenged memory...Did the original series introduce all the supporting characters during the first 2 episodes?

Comment

More like the Odd Couple, combined with the level of action and violence typical of a basic cable TV show like Burn Notice. I suspect that the phenomenom of Steve & Danno butting heads with each other will be an ongoing theme throughout the series.
                Typical of most buddy cop shows and movies of the past.

I do too. But even more, I miss the stable of supporting characters that the original 5-0 featured on a regular basis. The M.E. (Doc), the forensics expert (Che Fong), the secretary (Jenny), the District Attorney (Manicote). The original show didn't exclusively focus on the starring cast and the storylines seldom conjured up plots where it was just the four 5-0 officers singlehandedly cracking the cases all by themselves.
                I agree. The original Five-0 had an entire department working for them including the people you mention. I do believe they will have a medical examiner written into the series soon, played by the Japanese guy who was in the TV show HEROES. Plus they usually always called for HPD backup when situations got sticky.

So far what we have here are 4 "renegades" going at it alone (with the Governor's support... so far), skirting the letter of the law many times including the "manini" things like driving without seatbelts and using their cell phones while driving. But then we have to remind ourselves this is not total reality... and I think the actual cell phone law exempts law enforcement from that very ordinance.

I'll do you one better. I think Scott Caan is the one actor who gives the show some soul and is keeping it from sinking into the same kind of boring and incomprehensible mess...
                I'll agree with that assessment.

And I'm gonna have to challenge this supposed bit of conventional wisdom about Hawaii-based TV shows. Yes, Byrds of Paradise and Island Son, both knee-deep when it came to exploring local issues and themes, were ratings failures. But both shows were homespun dramas that had little to draw upon as far as action, suspense, and exotic locales went. If the new Hawaii 5-0 wants to tackle storylines that involves the Hawaiian independence movement, the environment/development debate, racial tensions, etc., etc...., I think these things can be woven into the plots, as the writers can still incorporate all kinds of explosions, car chases, and high-tech gadgetry at the right moments so that things don't get too stale for the segment of "Mainland viewers" who supposedly don't care about these themes. But for the record, I think that there is a segment of those who do care, and it would be a mistake to assume that the Byrds of Paradise experience means that such viewers are non-existent.
                Perhaps, but the networks try to reach the broadest of audiences with their prime time fare for maximization of eyeballs, ad revenue and ultimately profits. The show has already been set up as "light" in contrast to the original "Hawaii Five-0" that skirted on a few of those types of political topics. Perhaps if this version were more like the original, tackling those kinds of issues would probably work better.

Right now, what we have is a pretty "bang up, shoot em up get the bad guy kind of buddy cops show with some comedy tossed in." The classic Five-0 was pretty much "all business".
                Last edited by mel; September 28, 2010, 06:51 PM. Reason: minor fix of bad sentence
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Right now, what we have a pretty "bang up, shoot em up get the bad guy kind of buddy cops show with some comedy tossed in." The classic Five-0 was pretty much "all business".
                  I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".
                    Exactly. I was not a fan of "Magnum" but I certainly loved the original "Five-0" because it was hard hitting, all business, police drama. None of this buddy-buddy stuff. All business. I liked that.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Possibly Kelly Hu's one episode role as a staff member of the governor's office will expand into a recurring role. Kinda makes sense that it will.

Comment

the target audience for the new show is (partly) the 18-34 age group. most of them were not even alive when the original was on. they have grown up with video games, computers, cell phones etc. they also have short attention spans and thrive on instant gratification (unlike us old fogeys ) shows in the genre of the original 5-0 will just not work today, much as we might like for it too.

as i've said previously - i like the new show. i like the interplay between the 4 characters. i'm hoping they will add more core characters as they go along.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Is there going to be a car chase scene with both characters having an open mouth expression screaming "Aaaaaa.." as the car flies through the air?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            they also have short attention spans and thrive on instant gratification

Argh, I hate this generalization. Do you know how long I waited for the last Harry Potter book? And then I barely pulled my nose from it until I'd read the entire thing? If that's a short attention span.. do you know how long that book was!?

Anyway.. I admit to never having seen the original. One of the perils of any sort of remake, reboot, inspired by, etc, is that it's always going to be compared to the original-- and that's just going to ruin it for you if you do that. I can't watch a movie based on a book I'm familiar with because I know I'll spend the entire time comparing them, even if the movie itself stands alone. I read I Am Legend a good ten years before the movie came back, long enough to forget most of it. I enjoyed the movie so much that I went back and read the book, which was NOTHING like it. But it was still a good book, and still a good movie. You just have to learn to separate them.

Alright, well that's enough writing for my short attention span, I'm gonna go play We Farm on my iPhone.
                            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

yes - i do know how long that book was because I had to wait for it too! and i'm a senior citizen. and a "generalization" doesn't cover all parts of a spectrum - but it does cover a good portion, hence the use of that word. obviously you & i both fall to the ends of that spectrum, not the middle "generalization" section. and i was here when the original series was filmed, spent time on the set, was in an episode and was married to a cop who was also in a couple of the shows.

i can find it in my heart to like both series - different but both still good & enjoyable.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Name a traffic violation, I've seen a blue&white do it...yes without its lights on. A large number of HPD officers do NOT obey traffic laws to the letter, so I'd say its VERY realistic to show the 5-0 crew without seatbelts or talking on the phone while driving.
                                Originally posted by mike
                                scsdogg,
                                You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Working...
                                X