New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Tonight's episode has Masa Oka as Dr. Bergman.

The air horn scene was kind of whacky.

Comment

So is someone going to start a website for "the Hawaii Chair"????
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Was cool seeing my friend Duke Kenney (son of Ed) in the opening scene! He's just amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Tonight's episode has Masa Oka as Dr. Bergman.
          And I didn't like his character at all. Way too over the top in trying to be eccentric and quirky. It looked like he was trying to emulate and surpass several medical examiners on other top TV shows whose characters are eccentric, but it went way too far.
          Hawaii Five-0 is starting to look like it can't decide if it wants to be a sitcom, a crime drama, a soap opera, or all of the above.
          If it wasn't for being filmed here, I'd probably quit watching it. But with the Hawaii factor -- and with Grace Park -- I'll probably continue.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The closing scene - "sunset" picnic/dinner on the beach - must have been shot in the early morning (or created digitally), since that's the direction from which the sun RISES over east Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              So is someone going to start a website for "the Hawaii Chair"?
              You know that's not a fictional product, right? I didn't Google it, but I'm sure it already has a website. If we didn't discuss it here on HT, Ryan definitely wrote about it on Hawaii Weblog.

I just saw the episode Tuesday evening, and am disappointed that nobody's mentioned two things about this one.

First, when the guys bust in on that prostitution building, someone yells out, "Five-0! Show your hands!" Is this the first time in the series the group is referred to as Five-0?

Second, how come nobody said anything about John McGarrett's mailing address being 404 Piikoi? That can't be just some random address, can it? Some art director or props person must have meant it as a little tribute. What I want to know is: did McGarrett work at the waterbed store, Jelly's, or Records Hawaii?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Hawaii Chair does exist,https://www.usaperfect.com/global/in...iacou2tli6ts55, Hey replace,Masi with "Battery Bill" !

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  You know that's not a fictional product, right?[...]
                  Originally posted by Mauibuzz View Post
                  I kinda got the feeling Mel was referring to a tongue-in-cheek website along the lines of Kukui HS...even tho' one is fictional and the other isn't.

A couple of years ago (at least) Ellen DeGeneris had a lot of fun with that chair on her show! But once the Shake Weights came out, the Hawaii Chair (once called the Hawaii Hula Chair) was relegated to the prop room. I've often wondered how her make-fun-of-it publicity impacted sales.

Comment

Here's the screen cap showing John McGarrett's address. Is that semaphore on the left side of the postcard?
                    Attached Files
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Reference the (first?) reference to "5-0 . . ." - Yes, I think it is. There was a brief comment a couple of shows ago? at the end where Steve explains his Kukui HS jersey number, and Kono ruminates . . . "5-0 . . . I like it." But the tag has never "officially" been applied to the gang of four.

Comment

Here's the screen cap showing John McGarrett's address. Is that semaphore on the left side of the postcard?
                        Looks like it. A "Hawaii Five-0" easter egg?
                        Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        Reference the (first?) reference to "5-0 . . ." - Yes, I think it is. There was a brief comment a couple of shows ago? at the end where Steve explains his Kukui HS jersey number, and Kono ruminates . . . "5-0 . . . I like it." But the tag has never "officially" been applied to the gang of four.
                        I think in the episode immediately following the jersey explanation, there was a brief wide shot of the team in its shiny headquarters with a new "5-0" seal on the floor. It didn't take long for them to do some branding and redecorating!

Comment

Wasn't 404 Piikoi St., that old warehouse building across the street from Ala Moana Center (where KHON2 is now)? I think that was the original home of Jelly's. Plus some mattress company that had an ad slogan, with something like, "404 Piikoi, represented by the sandman". Just thinking out loud.

DXer

Comment

OMG.... That Hawaii Chair looks kinky but yet distracting but if it does what it does & ppl actually benefited that chair then right on....

Comment

Here's the screen cap showing John McGarrett's address.[...]
                              Well, wrong zip code for Piikoi...akin to turning on Diamond Head Rd. and passing Hanauma Bay, I 'spose!

Comment

Originally posted by DXer View Post
                                Wasn't 404 Piikoi St., that old warehouse building across the street from Ala Moana Center (where KHON2 is now)? I think that was the original home of Jelly's. Plus some mattress company that had an ad slogan, with something like, "404 Piikoi, represented by the sandman". Just thinking out loud.
                                It was that building, but that wasn't the original home of Jelly's. Jelly's opened first right on the corner of Kapiolani and Keeaumoku, directly across the street from where Tower Records used to be. It was also the home of a waterbed store ("Stone Free Waterbeds," if Erika Engle remembers correctly!), Records Hawaii (Hawaii's Menudo Headquarters!), and a huge Christmas tree lot every year. Among other things. That's why I asked in response 186 above, "did he work at the waterbed store, Records Hawaii, or Jelly's?"
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X