Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Onto the episode:

I like how the SUV(in the first shot of the episode) drove past Aloha tower and they still called it "waikiki"

As for the car...it would seem the mustang is Danno's car and the camaro is McGarret's. I think Danno was always driving the mustang in the pilot.

Aside from the geographical issues, the show also seems to have a timewarp issue. According to the dialogue, it should have been no later than midday when they found the guy on the roof. Based on the lighting, that scene was shot at about 4-5 pm.

Perhaps Victor is the Wo Fat for this series.

I love all the Kukui HS stuff. I imagine the logo shop will change once we see the football helmet they're using in the show.

My guess is there will have to be some patch-up between the 5-0 crew and HPD down the road. They can't keep taking on assault rifle carrying terrorists with hand guns. Perhaps the 5-0 crew will nab the dirty HPD officers that framed Chin Ho.

I understand they're "trying" when they drop the local references into the script, but wherever they're writing the show, you'd think they could maintain a "local" script adviser who can tell them where to find people who "speak the bird."
    Last edited by scsdogg; September 29, 2010, 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Originally posted by mike
    scsdogg,
    You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
      I love all the Kukui HS stuff. I imagine the logo shop will change once we see the football helmet they're using in the show.
      And now there is a thread for that.

So what year you grad Kukui High School

Post away over there if you are part of that community or want to specifically discuss that which is not directly connected with the show.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
        Perhaps the 5-0 crew will nab the dirty HPD officers that framed Chin Ho.
        Wasn't that story covered during the Season 2 DVD? Chin-Ho was accused of taking a bribe.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Possibly Kelly Hu's one episode role as a staff member of the governor's office will expand into a recurring role. Kinda makes sense that it will.
          Forgot about her. How come she didn't get the part of Kono Kalakaua? At least she is (part) Hawaiian. I'm sure at age 42, she have no fear of competition from the younger ones.
          Last edited by cabanalane; September 29, 2010, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".
            X2. All of the Magnum crew we felt like we know them personally. Where as with the old 5-0, it was hard to say much about them outside of work.

I can see they are trying hard to develop the characters. Danno will be a winner. Steve will take some time. I'm not sure about the other two. It's not them as actors (Kim and Park). It's just I'm not really buying into the characters of Chin-Ho and Kono.

Comment

Re: "geographical issues"...This has always been fun for local folks to watch and call out! But it's not a negative as I see it. Mainland viewers, for the most part, won't know the difference, or care. Screen direction and scenics ARE important. As an example, a car is driving down Kahala Ave. and makes a left turn on Hunakai. Car is now established driving camera right to left. Cut to the next scene (which immediately follows the turn) and the car is passing Hanauma Bay...a beautiful scenic and geographically not possible! The car should still be heading in a camera right to left (cr-l) direction otherwise it confuses the viewer. This sort of geographical liberty takes place in every film regardless of the location. Catching continuity blunders is a hobby for many film goers!!! Also included in continuity blunders is the lighting/shadow factor. Still, if that's what viewers are paying attention to then the show has a much bigger problem!

Re: Kelly Hu...I have no idea if she was considered for the role of Kono or not. But, at 42, she's at a demographic disadvantage...as gorgeous as she is. The industry is ruthless that way. I doubt Kelly would've created the buzz that Grace Park did even tho', imho, Kelly is the better actress. And then there are all those bikini scenes! I'm not feeling the believability factor with Grace yet.

Re: Steve vs Danno...It seems to me that the writers went for similar personality types as the original show. I'm wondering, however, if anyone expected how great Caan would be; a big personality difference from the original Danno. I kinda feel that hampers O'Laughlin's character. There's time to make adjustments but I feel those adjustments will fall on O'Laughlin because Caan has really established his character, one that's very appealing to the viewers, in only 2 episodes. Come to think of it, he established it in the first episode.

Re: viewer demographics...anapuni was right with her "partly" 18-34. The actual demos that advertisers look at are 18-54. We over 54ers don't count anapuni!

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                I can see they are trying hard to develop the characters. Danno will be a winner. Steve will take some time.
                I like this reinterpretation of Danny Williams. The new McGarrett? So far, I'm having a really rough time warming up to this character. I would have no problem with the writers wanting to have McLoughlin's McGarrett be more aggressive than Jack Lord's. But to have the head of 5-0 being the kind of hothead who would hang a suspect over the side of the building is so over-the-top. If the underlings of 5-0 are shown having to keep the boss in-line as much as vice-versa, then I have serious concerns about the direction this re-imagined Hawaii 5-0 is taking.

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                I'm not sure about the other two. It's not them as actors (Kim and Park). It's just I'm not really buying into the characters of Chin-Ho and Kono.
                Not surprising to me at all. As I said in an earlier thread, unlike the original actors who played Chin Ho (Kam Fong) and Kono (Zulu), Daniel and Grace aren't local. To some people, this was irrelevant and I got ridiculed for simply expressing my sentiments on this board. But your reactions after seeing the onscreen product,..... well, nothing more needs be said.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  I like this reinterpretation of Danny Williams. The new McGarrett? So far, I'm having a really rough time warming up to this character. I would have no problem with the writers wanting to have McLoughlin's McGarrett be more aggressive than Jack Lord's. But to have the head of 5-0 being the kind of hothead who would hang a suspect over the side of the building is so over-the-top. If the underlings of 5-0 are shown having to keep the boss in-line as much as vice-versa, then I have serious concerns about the direction this re-imagined Hawaii 5-0 is taking.

I agree with you on the new Steve M vs the original.

The original Steve M was always the cool headed one, the one in control, the one with the final word on everything-- including the classic, signature line.

Comment

Re: Steve vs Danno...It seems to me that the writers went for similar personality types as the original show. I'm wondering, however, if anyone expected how great Caan would be; a big personality difference from the original Danno. I kinda feel that hampers O'Laughlin's character. There's time to make adjustments but I feel those adjustments will fall on O'Laughlin because Caan has really established his character, one that's very appealing to the viewers, in only 2 episodes. Come to think of it, he established it in the first episode.
                    I would have thought the people responsible for casting the lead roles would have chosen two people with better chemistry.

They should be able to play off each other, draw energy and humor from each other and of course, intensity when the scene demands it.

With Caan, I feel he just doesn't give a rip and that helps his character. He can laugh at himself and not take himself or his character too seriously. I am sure he is a true professional though, and takes his job very seriously. He is just able to relax a bit more than most actors and it shows.

For O'Laughlin, he has the whole show riding on his shoulders. It shows in his eyes, in my noob opinion.

He needs to relax, and just go along for the ride....win, lose or draw.
                    Last edited by foolish heart; September 29, 2010, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

A curiosity question for my challenged memory...Did the original series introduce all the supporting characters during the first 2 episodes?
                      The 1968 pilot featured the characters of the governor, the attorney general, the doc, and the 5-0 secretary. Che Fong was introduced early on in the first season. However, as even casual 5-0 fans are aware, all of the original actors in these roles were eventually replaced.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                        I would have thought the people responsible for casting the lead roles would have chosen two people with better chemistry.

They should be able to play off each other, draw energy and humor from each other and of course, intensity when the scene demands it.[...]
                        FH, please take what I'm about to write with a grain of salt because I'm not involved in the show. In the industry, yes, but not the show.

My guess is the main characters were put together, prior to being hired, to check out their chemistry. Something obviously worked or the potential was seen. Once hired and in pre-production a table read takes place. Again, that's another opportunity to see what chemistry is brought to the characters. An audition and a table read are a far cry from the cameras actually rolling. Personally, I'm not unhappy with how O'Laughlin and Caan play off of each other, esp. so early in the season. I like the juxtaposition of contrasting personalities; the stiffer more serious Jack Lord character and the looser more easy going James MacArthur character catapulted into the 21st century. It'll be interesting to see how this ensemble cast develops...or doesn't develop, as the case may be. Hitting a home run with an ensemble cast is always the goal but not always the result. It takes time.

The other thing that can't be ignored is...direction. We don't know what action the director is requesting of the actors. Good directors and good actors will collaborate. That might not be so easy early on when everyone is still trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

Anyway, just my 2¢. Feel free to give me change!

Comment

However the 1968 pilot ran for around 2 hours and the Five-O unit already existed in the show. Where as the 2010 pilot the run time is about 40 something minutes (without the commericals) and the unit is in the process of forming, even after the 2nd episode it is still known as "the task force".

Comment

I'll take your 2 cents tutusue, because you know much more than I would ever hope to know!

Thanks for the insight

FH, please take what I'm about to write with a grain of salt because I'm not involved in the show. In the industry, yes, but not the show.

My guess is the main characters were put together, prior to being hired, to check out their chemistry. Something obviously worked or the potential was seen. Once hired and in pre-production a table read takes place. Again, that's another opportunity to see what chemistry is brought to the characters. An audition and a table read are a far cry from the cameras actually rolling. Personally, I'm not unhappy with how O'Laughlin and Caan play off of each other, esp. so early in the season. I like the juxtaposition of contrasting personalities; the stiffer more serious Jack Lord character and the looser more easy going James MacArthur character catapulted into the 21st century. It'll be interesting to see how this ensemble cast develops...or doesn't develop, as the case may be. Hitting a home run with an ensemble cast is always the goal but not always the result. It takes time.

The other thing that can't be ignored is...direction. We don't know what action the director is requesting of the actors. Good directors and good actors will collaborate. That might not be so easy early on when everyone is still trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

Anyway, just my 2¢. Feel free to give me change!

Comment

Re: Kelly Hu...I have no idea if she was considered for the role of Kono or not. But, at 42, she's at a demographic disadvantage...as gorgeous as she is. The industry is ruthless that way. I doubt Kelly would've created the buzz that Grace Park did even tho', imho, Kelly is the better actress. And then there are all those bikini scenes! I'm not feeling the believability factor with Grace yet.
                              Oh man! If it was true that the producers passed up Kelly in order to give the starring role to Grace, that was a BIG mistake. (Actually, the 2nd biggest mistake. Read on for mistake #1.) Kelly is only about 5 or 6 years older.

Kelly getting a role that becomes more prominent as time goes on sounds like a very good idea. This show needs all the help it can get.

Caan as a more outspoken Danny Williams was perfectly cast. Unfortunately, it is looking more and more like O'Loughlin is casting mistake #1. Does that mean that I think the show is doomed? Not necessarily, if the storyline of the show calls for an ensemble effort, rather than being centered around Steve McGarrett like in the old show.

The ratings for H50 2.0 have been solid so far. But I foresee problems ahead if the supposed main star can't project a greater, more confident onscreen presence.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                                I'll take your 2 cents tutusue, because you know much more than I would ever hope to know!

Thanks for the insight
                                As a viewer you are certainly entitled to your opinion about the show...and it has merit. Not everyone is going to like every character or every story. That said, the process of casting is interesting, intense and, more often than not, misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
                                X