View Poll Results: What is your favorite Clint Eastwood character?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rowdy Yates (Rawhide)

0 0%
  • Man With No Name (Fistful of Dollars, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

7 30.43%
  • Dirty Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force)

6 26.09%
  • Josey Wales (The Outlaw Josey Wales)

1 4.35%
  • Philo Beddoe (Every Which Way But Loose, Any Which Way You Can)

1 4.35%
  • Other

8 34.78%

Thread: Your favorite Clint Eastwood character

Default Your favorite Clint Eastwood character

Recently, I purchased a huge DVD boxset containing all 34 movies that Clint Eastwood acted and/or directed for Warner Brothers. While this meant that the films he made for the other studios are missing (like Play Misty For Me, A Fistful Of Dollars, and In The Line Of Fire), the bulk of Clint's career over the last 35 years have been spent at WB.

It is a testament to the man's versatility and popularity that he's remembered for not one, but several characters who have become cultural icons. Which one is your favorite?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

sansei Guest

Default Re: Your favorite Clint Eastwood character

hi,my 1st favorite character from clint e is dirty harry and in one movie about alcatraz,he was the escapee frank morris,now that's a classic and a well made movie.

dirty harry was the best with the escape from alcatraz movie.

well thank's for your time

The Preacher from "Pale Rider", Dirty Harry, and the nameless gunslinger in "the Good Bad and the Ugly" are the Eastwood characters I remember the most.

Recently several of his indvidual movie DVDs have landed in the WalMart $5 bin. I guess the box set is a collection of those DVDs.

Josey Wales.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

I liked him in Every Which Way But Loose and Every Which Way You Can films. Not a huge Eastwood fan. He's okay, I guess. I actually like Clyde the orangutan and the rest of the cast around him better than Eastwood's character.

"Pardner" in "Paint Your Wagon" --- because he had to sing.

McCaleb in "Bloodwork" - saw it just last night on an obscure cable channel that was overdosing on Clint Eastwood fare.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    The Preacher from "Pale Rider", Dirty Harry, and the nameless gunslinger in "the Good Bad and the Ugly" are the Eastwood characters I remember the most.
    Aside from the 3 spaghetti westerns directed by Sergio Leone, my favorite Eastwood western is High Plains Drifter. Yep, I like my westerns all violent and bloody.

But as memorable as all those westerns were, Eastwood will always be remembered first and foremost for the Dirty Harry series.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Recently several of his indvidual movie DVDs have landed in the WalMart $5 bin. I guess the box set is a collection of those DVDs.
    I guess buying the boxset saved me some money, then. And I got a nice, colorful booklet too, in the deal.

It would have been perfect if the set contained Blu-ray discs, but that probably would have jacked up the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    "Pardner" in "Paint Your Wagon" --- because he had to sing.
    Clint also does quite a bit of singing on Honkytonk Man.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

I wish it was multiple choice. . .

I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEE his "old" stuff, but even Gran Turino was awesome.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    I wish it was multiple choice. . .

I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEE his "old" stuff, but even Gran Turino was awesome.
    FOREEEAL

I think it was His Attitude........

K<>?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

The character where he squints his eyes when he's angry and talks in a soft raspy voice.

I think that is EVERY character he plays!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Anyone remember his two uncredited bit parts as a pilot? First was the sci-fi "thriller" TARANTULA, the second was ESCAPADE IN JAPAN (starred Jon Provost).

How about HANG 'EM HIGH?

I liked him in "Play Misty For Me."

The man with no name for sure. I love the campiness of Sergio Leone.

I saw most of the Eastwood westerns when I was in high-school, and that was a loooong time ago, so I've been trying to re-watch them all whenever they show up on TCM. I consider myself something of a fan, but there's one film -- the one where he literally paints the town red -- where his character rapes two women. I was uncomfortable with it as a teen, and I might find that unwatchable now as a midddle-ager. I'm looking forward to seeing that one again just to see what's happened to my tolerance for that.

I'm not sure (my memory is fuzzy), but I think his character in Two Mules for Sister Sara rapes the Shirley MacLaine character, too.

I'm with Mel: I really, really, really like him as The Preacher in Pale Rider. It's my favorite of the westerns I can remember. Also love him in Million Dollar Baby.

And yes: like almost every guy who loves movies, I love Dirty Harry.

But my favorite, and the reason I voted for OTHER in the poll above, is Robert Kincaid in The Bridges of Madison County, the film that made me fall in love with Eastwood as a director. I've only read excerpts of the novel and found it kind of terrible (sorry to the fifty million readers who clearly disagree), but this is a very, very well-made movie. Eastwood and Meryl Streep are fantastic here, and the film is directed with a quiet dexterity I find impressive. That scene at the end is heartbreaking and beautiful, and it drives me insane that the film was nominated for only one Academy Award (Streep for best actress). 1995 was a great year for film (something I don't say very often), but BRAVEHEART? Really?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I saw most of the Eastwood westerns when I was in high-school, and that was a loooong time ago, so I've been trying to re-watch them all whenever they show up on TCM. I consider myself something of a fan, but there's one film -- the one where he literally paints the town red -- where his character rapes two women. I was uncomfortable with it as a teen, and I might find that unwatchable now as a midddle-ager. I'm looking forward to seeing that one again just to see what's happened to my tolerance for that.
    That one is High Plains Drifter. Easily the best of Clint's Hollywood westerns, IMO.

Two Mules was noticeably lighter on the blood and gore in comparison to High Plains Drifter and the Sergio Leone films. And personally, I find Clint playing a "white hat" role to be far less interesting than the more ambiguous nature of characters like the Man With No Name or Dirty Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    But my favorite, and the reason I voted for OTHER in the poll above, is Robert Kincaid in The Bridges of Madison County, the film that made me fall in love with Eastwood as a director. I've only read excerpts of the novel and found it kind of terrible (sorry to the fifty million readers who clearly disagree), but this is a very, very well-made movie. Eastwood and Meryl Streep are fantastic here, and the film is directed with a quiet dexterity I find impressive. That scene at the end is heartbreaking and beautiful, and it drives me insane that the film was nominated for only one Academy Award (Streep for best actress). 1995 was a great year for film (something I don't say very often), but BRAVEHEART? Really?
    Well, whoever said that the Motion Picture Academy always made the right choice when handing out their awards. Nearly a dozen years later, I'm still scratching my head wondering how Shakespeare In Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for Picture of the Year.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 7th, 2010 at 12:22 AM.

Outlaw Josey Wales

You would think that by teaming Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds that City Heat would be a hit. I had to google search to remember the title of that movie.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...nic-roles.html
    Would Clint Eastwood look right as Superman or James Bond?

Clint as John Huston(Wilson) making the "The African Queen" in WHBH.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100928/
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

The 2012 GOP convention.

I like the Honkytonk man
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Rowdy Yates comes to mind.

'Rawhide' was a show with Mr. Eastwood sitting high in the saddle.

Thumbs up Re: Your favorite Clint Eastwood character

What a hard decision!
    Went with... 'Man with no name', but there's truly no bad choice amongst them.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!