Your favorite Clint Eastwood character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite Clint Eastwood character

I saw most of the Eastwood westerns when I was in high-school, and that was a loooong time ago, so I've been trying to re-watch them all whenever they show up on TCM. I consider myself something of a fan, but there's one film -- the one where he literally paints the town red -- where his character rapes two women. I was uncomfortable with it as a teen, and I might find that unwatchable now as a midddle-ager. I'm looking forward to seeing that one again just to see what's happened to my tolerance for that.

I'm not sure (my memory is fuzzy), but I think his character in Two Mules for Sister Sara rapes the Shirley MacLaine character, too.

I'm with Mel: I really, really, really like him as The Preacher in Pale Rider. It's my favorite of the westerns I can remember. Also love him in Million Dollar Baby.

And yes: like almost every guy who loves movies, I love Dirty Harry.

But my favorite, and the reason I voted for OTHER in the poll above, is Robert Kincaid in The Bridges of Madison County, the film that made me fall in love with Eastwood as a director. I've only read excerpts of the novel and found it kind of terrible (sorry to the fifty million readers who clearly disagree), but this is a very, very well-made movie. Eastwood and Meryl Streep are fantastic here, and the film is directed with a quiet dexterity I find impressive. That scene at the end is heartbreaking and beautiful, and it drives me insane that the film was nominated for only one Academy Award (Streep for best actress). 1995 was a great year for film (something I don't say very often), but BRAVEHEART? Really?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I saw most of the Eastwood westerns when I was in high-school, and that was a loooong time ago, so I've been trying to re-watch them all whenever they show up on TCM. I consider myself something of a fan, but there's one film -- the one where he literally paints the town red -- where his character rapes two women. I was uncomfortable with it as a teen, and I might find that unwatchable now as a midddle-ager. I'm looking forward to seeing that one again just to see what's happened to my tolerance for that.
      That one is High Plains Drifter. Easily the best of Clint's Hollywood westerns, IMO.

Two Mules was noticeably lighter on the blood and gore in comparison to High Plains Drifter and the Sergio Leone films. And personally, I find Clint playing a "white hat" role to be far less interesting than the more ambiguous nature of characters like the Man With No Name or Dirty Harry.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      But my favorite, and the reason I voted for OTHER in the poll above, is Robert Kincaid in The Bridges of Madison County, the film that made me fall in love with Eastwood as a director. I've only read excerpts of the novel and found it kind of terrible (sorry to the fifty million readers who clearly disagree), but this is a very, very well-made movie. Eastwood and Meryl Streep are fantastic here, and the film is directed with a quiet dexterity I find impressive. That scene at the end is heartbreaking and beautiful, and it drives me insane that the film was nominated for only one Academy Award (Streep for best actress). 1995 was a great year for film (something I don't say very often), but BRAVEHEART? Really?
      Well, whoever said that the Motion Picture Academy always made the right choice when handing out their awards. Nearly a dozen years later, I'm still scratching my head wondering how Shakespeare In Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for Picture of the Year.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 7, 2010, 12:22 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Outlaw Josey Wales

Comment

You would think that by teaming Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds that City Heat would be a hit. I had to google search to remember the title of that movie.

Comment

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...nic-roles.html
            Would Clint Eastwood look right as Superman or James Bond?

Comment

Clint as John Huston(Wilson) making the "The African Queen" in WHBH.
              http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100928/
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

The 2012 GOP convention.

Comment

I like the Honkytonk man
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Rowdy Yates comes to mind.

'Rawhide' was a show with Mr. Eastwood sitting high in the saddle.

Comment

What a hard decision!
                      Went with... 'Man with no name', but there's truly no bad choice amongst them.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X