Droid X, I broke down and ordered one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Droid X, I broke down and ordered one

So I'm playing with my new Storm 2 and realize it too can multi-task just like the DROID X. I can stream KSSK all the way out here in Hilo while Google Mapping my route and talk on the phone at the same time and the battery lasts longer than the DROID X too. I'm happy.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      I will miss however, the ability to multi-task. The DROID is fast so it allows me to talk on the speaker phone while browsing the internet and checking emails all at the same time... the Blackberry is a nice compact and powerful smartphone that's built tough
      Remember that you said that, Craig.

The Blackberry Storm 2 is still a resistive touch screen which means you have to apply physical pressure to the screen in order for any buttons to activate or even to type a simple email.

The Droid X, as I explained earlier, is a capacitive touch screen which means it recognizes your input directly from the heat generated by your finger. Little, if any direct contact necessary. Also, the BB Storm 2 uses a plastic screen. The Droid X uses Gorilla glass™, which can withstand impact better than any other display material.

Which do you think lasts longer? I’ve been around cell phones long enough to know the answer to that one. But ask anyone who’s owned a Storm 2 for awhile and uses it as much as you. You might not like the answer you get.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Both the Storm 1 and 2 uses capacitive as well as touch pressure screens. And it is made of glass not plastic. Gliding your finger over the screen highlights icons as you move over it. The difference between the 1 and 2 was that the Storm 1 had a single physical switch located in the center behind the screen. The Storm 2 uses 4 sensors located on the back of the touchscreen and the physical "click" feature gives you tactile feedback that you've selected that icon. That physical click isn't part of the switch as in the older Storm 1 but will deliver electrical charges as the screen is depressed. Because of multiple sensors, you can actually press two sections of the screen at the same time to register another function such as "Shift" to temporarily get an Upper Case.

The Storm's construction is also more rugged than the Droid X. Plus with it's smaller profile, it is less prone to snapping in half if leaned on as opposed to the larger Droid X.

The Droid X is a large clumsy phone that requires two hands to answer a call and doesn't fit well in a breast pocket or allow you to sit down in an automobile seat without having to readjust it's position in your pants pocket. Forget the side holster. Either holstered position results in the phone jabbing you in the hip or having it pop loose as you sit. It's just too big of a phone.

The Droid 2 is a smaller and more compact version lacking the HD output but because of it's two hand operation needed to answer the phone, the Storm 2 still became the logical answer for me.

Plus the most aggravitating part of the Droid X was deleting junk email. Because it's just a capacitive touch screen, if you accidently touch the spam mail and lift your finger, it will open it, and you've just responded to a spam email. You have to touch and hold until the menu allowing you to delete without opening it.

In an active day I don't have time to wait until the delete option comes up. With the Storm 2, I simply highlight by moving my finger over the spam and hit the red x at the bottom of the screen. It's faster than the Droid X.

The best part is of course the email push function that allows for instantaneous email reception. Unlike the Droid X, the Storm uses Blackberry's exchange servers that will immediately deliver your email to you whether it's POP3 or web-based such as Yahoo. Many times I need to reply immediately to email responses and the Droid X required me to queary manually to get updated emails immediately. Not everybody is on the IM bandwagon or even social networking such as FB or Twitter so email is what they use. I tested the system using my desktop, sending an email out to another, using my BB email push. I got it as soon as I hit "send" on my desktop. That's fast.

And TuNneL, I've been using cell phones since 1984 so I've used a ton of em, and before the smartphone revolution hit, some of the best out there were the Nokia's for their reception, but even before that, Mitsubishi made one hell of a rugged handheld pocketable cell phone called the DiamondTel 99x at $1300 and I owned one.

The Droid X is a remarkable phone...if you're into gadgets, but when it comes to using one for reliable and powerful business applications, it's no wonder the BlackBerry is still the favorite amongst the business professional and Barack Obama.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 4, 2010, 05:52 PM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X