iPods for 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPods for 2010

New generations of the iPod Shuffle, Nano and Touch were announced this month.

Looking at the Apple web site it seems that the Nano lost some features as well as physical space, while the Shuffle went back to what appears its 2nd previous generation size but still retained the features of the last generation.

The Shuffle looks interesting, I may want to pick one up so that my Nano can stay home and be safe while the new Shuffle can take the rough stuff while it travels with me on TheBus.
    Last edited by helen; September 13, 2010, 08:50 AM. Reason: missed a word the first time

Re: iPods for 2010

the only feature i could see that its lost is the ability to shoot a 30 min. video. and to be honest, i've had mine for about 9 months now and have used the video only once. don't really think it would be that much of an issue to lose it.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm thinking about getting one of the new iPod Touch models - though I am somewhat disappointed with the less than 1 megapixel still camera feature. Apple should have released an iPod Touch with at least a 2 megapixel still camera.... I can live without the HD video capability.

Otherwise the iPod Touch seems like a good item to get that is less than an iPhone (no monthly bills!) and smaller than the iPad. Easier to carry around.

On another note, I like the new iPod Shuffle. Good to see Apple went back to the click wheel interface vs. the last Shuffle that had the controls on the earbud cords which made it next to impossible to connect to a home stereo or car player unit.
      Last edited by mel; September 12, 2010, 10:10 AM. Reason: fix typo
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think I'm going to have to give in and get a new iPod. Probably the nano or shuffle. I have a second generation nano that I love(d). It still plays fine, but the screen goes blank on me. I tried to restore it - lost all my music and had to put it back on, and now when I do get a screen - it's in Japanese!

Comment

I caved and ordered a new Nano. My previous one still works but the control wheel is hit or miss, especially the play/pause position.

So I ordered the new one engraved from Apple...and now I wait.

Comment

the wait isn't long - they send it by FedEx. I usually only have to wait 2 days for a shipment from Apple.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I got to see one of the new Nanos at best buy the other night when Sprint PO'ed my wife enough for us to make the switch to the death star... er ATT. So while buying iPhones, I got to look at other gizmos.

When I first saw the ads for the new devices, I wasn't impressed. When i saw the new nano in store and hands on, I loved it! I need a new device like i need a hole in the head but it was pretty neat and fun to play with. I'd totally rock it as a watch!
              -kp!

Comment

I bought one of the ne Nanos a couple of months ago. I don't know what generatiion it is, but it has a built in camera.

Here is the problem. My old Nano would charge as well as play when connected to my car input as well as the portable speakers. The new Nano plays, but wont charge. The only way to charge it is to hook it up to the computer.

What am I doing wrong?
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The Nano iPod released in September 2010 is the 6th generation Nano. The one with the video camera is the 5th generation Nano. For myself I got a 4th generation Nano.

One thing I do notice on my Nano iPod there are only 2 ports on the bottom. One is for the headphone, the other is the special connector on one end and a USB connection on the other end. It is this cable that you recharge the Nano. However this cable might be generation specific.

Comment

I've had my new 6th gen Nano for a while now and there's a few things worth mentioning.

While I have an iPod Touch and an iPad, the touch screen on the Nano has proven a steep learning curve for my fat fingers. I'm past the worst of it now, but at the beginning it was very frustrating in a "hey, I KNOW how this is supposed to work" way.

Sound quality is better than my 5th gen.

The need to repeatedly hit the home button to awake the touch screen is a pain. If you put it in your pocket, you must put the screen to sleep or you get unwanted operations, usually changing or repeating songs. I'd love a hold button like before.

Battery life is fine, and it can fully charge in less than 3 hours.

The built in pedometer proves I really am a slug. 10k steps my big fat butt!

I like the Nike+ interface much better on the 6th gen.

The clip that I thought would be a gimmick is actually the best way to carry it around. Mine hangs on the bottom hem of my t-shirt. Surprisingly It doesn't get hung up on gym equipment too much.

The radio works fantastically.

And finally, it's nearly waterproof! Huh? No really, read on. It was laundry day and I had just put a load in the dryer. Immediately after turning it on I could hear a metallic crashing sound coming from the dryer. I stopped it, looked in, and retrieved my freshly laundered Nano. I shook it for a couple minutes to get any standing water out. I then laid it on top of our DVR (source of heat). 8 hours later I picked it up. Dead, or I hoped...dead battery. I put it on the charger and a few minutes later the Apple logo flashed onto the screen. It booted up and I could see the charging icon in the corner. I left it on the charger overnight. The next morning I took it to the gym and it worked like it always had!

So for me it's water proof, but your mileage may vary <by a lot>

Comment

Working...
                    X