The INXS Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The INXS Appreciation Thread

Someone in my Twitter stream, a young 21-year-old HPU student, mentioned that she was listening to INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart," saying that there was something really sexy about it. I replied that ALL that band's songs are incredibly sexy. She'd never really heard them and asked for recommendations.

My first thoughts were "The One Thing" and "Don't Change" from Shabooh Shoobah (1982). "Don't Change" has aged especially well and served wonderfully as the music over the closing credits for Adventureland, and it was that album that first turned me on to INXS, back when I was in eighth grade and just emerging from the little pop-radio disco bubble I'd been living in since I was in first grade.

About nine years ago, I got a-hold of the Greatest Hits album. Such a great collection of work, almost guaranteed to make me feel good and even get me dancing. And I'm too cool for dancing.

"Don't Change" is my favorite, with "The One Thing" and "Mediate" second and third. Have you got a favorite INXS song?

To make this fun for appreciators, I made a little INXS playlist at Grooveshark. Please enjoy it while you type your responses!
    Don't Change
    10.00%
    The One Thing
    20.00%
    Need You Tonight
    40.00%
    Never Tear Us Apart
    0.00%
    New Sensation
    0.00%
    What You Need
    10.00%
    Devil Inside
    0.00%
    Mediate
    0.00%
    Other
    10.00%
    I don't really care for INXS. Also, I'm a member of Al Qaeda.
    10.00%
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: The INXS Appreciation Thread

Original Sin - from what, 1984? That's my favorite.

Other favroites: The One Thing, Need You Tonight, Calling All Nations, Tiny Daggers, Suicide Blonde, I Send a Message, What You Need

Many of their early songs were like staples on new wave radio stations in the 80s such as KROQ, and for a very short time, the old KPOI FM before they became 98 rock in the early 1980s. INXS videos used to be played a lot on WTBS "Night Tracks" as well as MTV in the 1980s... I miss MTV of the 1980s.

I have been told by someone who works in the industry that Michael Hutchence and members of the band used to hide out at someone's home in Mililani at times.

I need to look at Grooveshark again after listening to your playlist.
    Last edited by mel; September 12, 2010, 08:47 AM. Reason: added more info
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      I have been told by someone who works in the industry that Michael Hutchence and members of the band used to hide out at someone's home in Mililani at times.
      Is he the one that committed suicide on Oahu?

Comment

You're thinking of the guitarist for Big Country, who committed suicide in a hotel near the airport. Michael Hutchence's death was either a suicide or autoerotic asphyxiation, depending on which story you believe, in a hotel room in Sydney.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

INXS...oh dear. This group brings back such mixed memories for me. Everytime I hear an INXS song (especially "Never Tear Us Apart"), I'm instantly transported back to my first semester during my first-year student year (formally known as freshman year) at Southern Illinois University in 1988. That time was such a huge time of change for me as I was adjusting to so many new experiences: Being on the mainland for an extended period for the first time in my life, being thrust into a traditional collegiate atmosphere, complete with fraternities and sororities, and being among more co-eds than I ever dreamed I'd ever see back when I was a farmboy in down in Ka'u.

INXS was very popular during this transitional stage of my life and they are clearly the musical group that defines that particular time of my life. It's a time of my life I'd never want to relive, so when I do hear an INXS song played, be it on the radio or coming from the stereo speakers of a car, I somewhat kind of shudder, as I more disliked than liked my 4 years of college at Southern Illinois. Which is too bad. If it weren't for the associative memories that come with INXS songs for me, I would consider purchasing some of their tracks; I very much enjoy "Need You Tonight"

Comment

OMG - I do love my INXS or "inks" as we used to call them. It became one of those inside family jokes that to this day can on bring tears of laughter. It's a "had to be there" kind of thing. I don't even think I could explain what was so funny. Anyway, I picked "Need You Tonight"
            One of the sexiest songs out there. I also love "Beautiful Girl" - not listed on the poll. INXS is one of the few bands who did not put out a bad tune. I cried a little when Michael Hutchence died

Thanks for the playlist Scriv. You made my morning!

Comment

Sorry, I've never paid much attention to elevator music. I listened to your play list and find it neither interesting or sexy, but I do have a theory on why this music fails to impress me - I spent the best part of the 80s polluting the Indian Ocean and North Arabian Sea while in service to an environmentally oblivious Naval Commander. [Go Al Qaeda!]
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I don't think I ever fully appreciated INXS until that reality show "Rockstar: INXS" a few years ago. I loved that show. The last few contestants were all awesome performers, and any one of them could front a band at INXS's level. I listened to a lot of INXS during that show, and I developed greater appreication for them.

Comment

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/inxs...after-35-years

A 35 year run.

Comment

Need You Tonight is my favorite!

Have used a few lines from that song to great success during my hunting days.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

It's interesting how the transition from physical media (cassette tapes) to digital can change the structure of song.

Growing up listening to Kick on tape you come to accept Need You Tonight/Mediate as essentially a single track. Now when you hear Need You Tonight on the radio it sounds weird to have it end without the transition into Mediate.

Comment

Since separate videos were made for each of those songs, I don't think you can attribute the difference in experience to cassettes vs. mp3. Radio stations never played the two songs together either, the way they do Journey's "Feelin' That Way / Anytime," Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage / Eclipse," Boston's "Foreplay / Long Time," and many others.

But I do agree with you about the difference. I was very slow to embrace mp3s because I prefer my songs in context. Then I got my first iPod, experienced the magic of shuffled songs, and realized that good music can be good multiple ways. Shuffle mode made me hear old, familiar songs a completely different way and it was like discovering new things about old friends. I still do most of my listening one album at a time, but the flexibility mp3s give me affords different options, and that's a good thing.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Predating shuffling with MP3 are mixed tapes which I made plenty of and still have many.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thats what a good DJ does.

A nights listening should follow a thread

Comment

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=776188

A movie about Michael Hutchence is about to be made.

Comment

Working...
                              X