Old Times Supermarket ad, 1968

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Times Supermarket ad, 1968

I found this today in one of my mom's old recipe books. She has always gathered cookbooks for when she made stuff for us growing up, and in recent years she has kept to her "favorite dishes", so no need get all funny kine and make anything new and unusual. As for me, I was a kid who grew up hating onions, didn't want anything to do it. I was picky for stupid reasons, but in the last ten years I've expanded my interests in food to something more than just the basics. Going through her old cookbooks is one way of finding recipes that may be obscure or simply not known. I figure if there is that day I get married or live with a woman who also cooks, she'll know that I'm a decent cook as well.

Anyway, my point. My mom has a number of Hawaiian-related cookbooks, and I recently discovered a few from the early 70's. But within these books are newspaper clippings of recipes from the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser. I clearly remember her clipping some recipes in the 80's, so I was finally in the double digits. However, these clippings are from 1968, a year before my mom was married and two years before I entered the world. It's interesting to see these recipes and figure out if these were the ones that became a part of our family, or to try to make them myself.

However, the back of these clippings feature supermarket advertisements. While I am not in advertising, they are always of interest because of design and simply to look at prices of times (no pun intended) long gone. So here is one that I wanted to share. It's a partial ad, since the clipping was of the recipe article, but considering how high things are today, one can only wish for them to come back. Of course we can make our own butter and grow chickens for eggs, but another topic, another time. Ono Loa butter is definitely before my time but... anyway, here it is.

Re: Old Times Supermarket ad, 1968

Looking forward to seeing it, johmbolaya, but it appears your upload didn't upload!

I did something similar on Facebook. I found print ads (cars, real estate, etc.) from 1961 that I uploaded for my high school class and schoolmates to see. Ooooh, to go back to those prices!

Comment

That's odd, it was there when I upped it and an hour later.

I'll try it again.
      Last edited by johmbolaya; September 12, 2010, 04:19 PM. Reason: had to see if html for site that hosts image would work. sticking with original img frame

Comment

That worked! Thanks. Now, to sob over those prices!!!

Comment

i remember the imitation milk! my daughter couldn't have dairy so i bought that instead so she would get the same nutritional values but no dairy. and it didn't taste bad either - we both drank it.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

"Ono Loa" butter?
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X