2010 Primary Election Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Primary Election Day

Today is the Primary Election Day for the State of Hawaii. The purpose of this thread is to relate your experience in the voting process, like were there any long lines in trying to cast your ballot, or were you affected by the closure of the 90 something polling places?

Re: 2010 Primary Election Day

My experience was great...a ballot, a glass of wine and a no postage needed envelope!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      a ballot, a glass of wine and a no postage needed envelope!
      Tutu, you are my hero(ine)! You ain't gettin' older babe, you gettin' smarter!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Not really, matapule! Some folks love the energy and experience of voting at the polls. Not me! I don't like waiting in lines and I feel rushed (my own doing) once in the booth so that I don't contribute to a longer line. Well, that...and the polling locations don't serve wine!

Comment

Normally I would have start off the day by going to the polls but I had scheduled a doctor's visit for this morning. So I got to Washington Middle School around 11am. Had two people in front of me for the signup. Did notice a line of 8 to 10 people waiting to put in their paper ballots into the machine, but that line was gone when I placed my ballot into it a few minutes later.

For me the process was kind of smooth.

Comment

I voted by mail a couple of weeks ago - it was totally painless. My regular polling place is still open but was combined with another precinct so I had a feeling it would be really busy & I just didn't want to deal with it. I've now signed up for permanent absentee ballot status so I (hopefully) will never have to stand in line again.

Oh, and like TutuSue - being able to have a glass of wine with my voting duties was also an incentive
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I voted in Windward Mall about a week ago - no lines, but no wine....
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I love absentee voting and look forward to all online or mail-in elections. On the other hand, there's nothing quite like going to a polling place and doing your civic duty among your neighbors. My wife and I bring our kids, talking about the election process on our walk to and from the polls, and try to instill in them an appreciation for a participatory democracy, flawed as it may often be.

In fact, as technology and access advances, the experience of going to a polling place may someday be only a distant memory.

Today they were whining because it rained on us on the way there. I told them that compared to other young democracies, we've got it easy when it comes to access to a voting booth.

So... what outlet will you be relying on, primarily, for reporting on the returns tonight?

Comment

I'm going to be watching returns at home on tv - probably Ch. 9 because they should have Dan Boylan & Howard Dicus as commentators.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    So... what outlet will you be relying on, primarily, for reporting on the returns tonight?
                    Likely HT. Not being in Hawai`i, it's been fascinating reading all the political threads and postings from you folks. I have no idea who I would have supported, were I there, but I feel that I have learned more background on candidates from you folks than from standard media outlets.

Ryan - thanks for helping your keiki understand some values of being responsible citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      My wife and I bring our kids, talking about the election process on our walk to and from the polls, and try to instill in them an appreciation for a participatory democracy, flawed as it may often be.
                      Now that's what I call highly developed parenting skills!

maalie, Ryan.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I voted early this morning at Washington Intermediate. The same problem I experienced last election re-appeared there again. They had a problem getting the vote counting machine to work. There wasn’t much of a line getting in to vote, but there was a long line of people with ballot in hand waiting for the tech to figure out how to make it work. It took half an hour to get the machine to work properly. I’m amazed they haven’t resolved this issue by now.

I also thought the ballot was unnecessarily complicated. I could easily imagine someone invalidating the ballot. At the polling stations, the vote counting machine should detect an invalid ballot and you would have a chance to vote again, but that’s not the case with absentee ballots.

I'll probably watch the returns on Channel 9.

Comment

Is it still eating crow when you vote for candidates who have no chance of winning?

Comment

After the second printout, Abercrombie is winning in a landslide over the Mufster, 60-38%. He'll be heading into a general election battle with Aiona.

Also, looks like Carlisle is well on his way to an outright win tonight in the Honolulu mayor's race, maintaining a 4% lead over Caldwell.

Tonight is a good night.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I voted early (1 hour wait in line), but decided to check if my vote was counted as counted on election day. Sure enough, it wasn't, so I voted again (no waiting). I'm worth 50 votes, but I could only cast 2 - I guess that's what happens when incompetence reigns at the polls - at least I boosted the voter percentages. As the saying goes,'Vote early, vote often!'
                              Last edited by salmoned; September 19, 2010, 12:29 AM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X