Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mufi's new job

Originally posted by sansei View Post
    even when he was mayor,as a offical of this state,he may have admitted it only in someway's,they shouldnt need to shed tear's so people here should forgive them,i've admitted thing's only when my deceased father disciplined me,i've shed tear's only due to being disciplined and im not an official,im a human.

not all offical's should shed tear's.
    Well, he's shedding tears now. And no one will forgive him.

As to Foolish Heart's post: I agree. This is Mufi's style. When there's a problem, he always shifts the burden to someone else. Regarding the homeless in Honolulu, he said it's not the city's problem, it's the state. When Honolulu was hit with a Federal lawsuit for its sewage wastewater problem, he essentially blamed the Federal government for not recognizing Honolulu's problem. When confronted with the "Compare and Decide" debacle, he apologized ... sort of. I don't remember the exact quote, but essentially he said "I apologize if this bothered some of you who were offended by this"; essentially, he blamed the people who were offended by this. There's many more examples, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
      I must say, Hannemann needed to admit when he made mistakes.
      I look at him and see a big kid....in many ways.... who wants to always be perfect, and who can do no wrong.
      I was not totally surprised when The Mufia shed tears on camera upon the realization he was discarded. (Not 'beaten,' but 'discarded.')

We, the people, saw through his rhetoric, saw his dishonesty (my opinion), and decided to give him the road.

The Mufia has some talent: he'd be a good crime boss - (we shall see - some have said he has already done that) - he can sing! Don Ho needs help....

We don't need a boss. We need someone who will LISTEN to the PEOPLE, and address their concerns.

- QED -

Hoping our new mayor will send us questionnaires - or something.....
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Hopefully he will learn from this.

I think he needs a mentor, or he needs to actually LISTEN to his mentor.

Based on his actions, I am not sure he is the type of personality that embraces outside opinions.....or opinions that do not agree with his own.

Another thing that I think may have caused his downfall was the rail.

He tried to use it as a way to win the Governor's seat, but I think the way certain contracts were handed out, the way millions were spent on public relations convincing us we needed to vote yes to rail (using our own money to convince us, yeah that makes sense and sounds like the honorable thing to do).....

.....the way they deliberately left out the additional millions it would cost to
        re-tool the rail so that it would not violate FAA regulations at Honolulu Airport

(I'm guessing they deliberately left this out of the final cost for the rail in order to keep the total figure lower and more palatable to the people)

....I think Mufi showed his true colors about the way he does business.

The rail was supposed to be his vehicle to the top floor at the State Capitol, but I think it proved to be his undoing.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        I was not totally surprised when The Mufia shed tears on camera upon the realization he was discarded. (Not 'beaten,' but 'discarded.')

We, the people, saw through his rhetoric, saw his dishonesty (my opinion), and decided to give him the road.

The Mufia has some talent: he'd be a good crime boss - (we shall see - some have said he has already done that) - he can sing! Don Ho needs help....

We don't need a boss. We need someone who will LISTEN to the PEOPLE, and address their concerns.

- QED -

Hoping our new mayor will send us questionnaires - or something.....

Comment

Also, when he was our new Mayor I often heard him say "Need to have" vs "Nice to have."

.....when was the last time anyone heard him say those words?

Comment

hi, imoho,we do need rail and if we do have rail,

then i'd think he'd be a good gov,if we dont have rail,

then everyone would be in gridlock and everyone would be unhappy.

they'll be sitting in their car's thinking why didnt we vote for the mufi.

then they'd think if we had rail,we wouldnt be in this gridlock.

if the next gov,who'm i vote for that they'll keep rail.

he may not be our gov,only in 4 year's if he does run for gov,i'll then =O)

if he is our next gov in 4 year's. we as a island will be =O)

well thank's for your time

Comment

One more thing I have to get off my chest:

To those Mufi supporters who were responsible for starting up sham organizations Venture Capital Association of Hawaii and Progressive Democrats for Hannemann, this is an open message for you folks.

Did you imagine yourselves to be so clever that other people were blind to your attempt to confuse voters? Did you think that voters in this state were so stupid as to fall for this kind of deceit and dirty campaigning? Well, take a good look at the election results. Who's the stupid person now?

Many months ago, it was all but apparent that Mufi would get the lion's share of the endorsements. That's all fine and fair. But why couldn't you folks have been satisfied with that? Why did you go through the extra step of trying to muddle up the few endorsements that Neil received? Did you think it would lead to a landslide victory for your man? Did you imagine it would grant you special favors from Mufi? If those were your hopes, then it has all come to naught. Your schemes have backfired, bringing discredit to your candidate and yourselves.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to enter a career in public service: Never underestimate the intelligence of voters. Because when you do, that is when the seeds of arrogance are sown, you start adopting a "my way or the highway" kind of attitude,... and you may not even realize it. I don't think Mufi did, either. Not until last Saturday night.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                LOL! Good question.

This thread is as good as any to write a post-mortem on Mufi's campaign. Where did he go wrong? These were the big blunders.

1) The "Compare and Decide" flier - Whoever was the brainchilde behind that piece of trash was a total idiot. Comparing wives and their ethnic backgrounds? Disparaging the opponent for attending the home state university? Making a total mockery of any meaningful comparison by mentioning a beard contest? Would anyone disagree with the notion that this flier was a total disaster for the Hannemann campaign?
                I believe it was the brainchild of their campaign strategist, Kim Devlin. If you google her you'll see she worked on the east coast in some decent sized campaigns. I heard those campaigns weren't the most organized though but they're all pretty aggressive. I give her credit for being aggressive but minus points for not being smart about it. There were one or two other issues that could have really hurt Carlisle but weren't brought up, mainly because she's not local and doesn't know his history here.

Otherwise I think we have to give credit to Peter's campaign. He tried to stay away from negative ads even though he should have responded to SHOPO and Caldwell's ads (it cost him a big lead) and he won. Good job.
                Last edited by helen; September 21, 2010, 01:11 AM. Reason: restoring the ending quote tag

Comment

Sansei I respectfully disagree.

Right now there are developers who want to build more houses and other structures on Oahu, but they are waiting.

They know traffic is so bad right now, that the public may not stand for more new housing (Koa Ridge, etc)

So they are waiting for the rail....once that gets built I think we will see a bunch of new housing developments go up.

So any benefits that rail had in alleviating traffic (and I don't think it will alleviate traffic at all, the ridership numbers are of course vastly inflated to justify this thing)......will be NEGATED by all of the new housing that will be built after rail is built.

So motorists will be back to square one, only now they have to pay even more taxes to maintain a rail system and will have the same amount of traffic if not more.

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                  hi, imoho,we do need rail and if we do have rail,

then i'd think he'd be a good gov,if we dont have rail,

then everyone would be in gridlock and everyone would be unhappy.

they'll be sitting in their car's thinking why didnt we vote for the mufi.

then they'd think if we had rail,we wouldnt be in this gridlock.

if the next gov,who'm i vote for that they'll keep rail.

he may not be our gov,only in 4 year's if he does run for gov,i'll then =O)

if he is our next gov in 4 year's. we as a island will be =O)

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                    I believe it was the brainchild of their campaign strategist, Kim Devlin. If you google her you'll see she worked on the east coast in some decent sized campaigns.
                    East coast bias?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Regarding Caldwell's loss don't forget Panos, who looks like Danny Devito, but sounds like Latka from Taxi, he took 20% of the vote away from both candidates.

I think name recognition hurt Caldwell more than anything else and trying to get your name out there in just a few short months is a tough sell.
                      I think Panos took a lot more votes from Carlisle, not Caldwell. Caldwell is very much to the political left while his opponents were both more favorable to more conservative voters. It appears that Panos almost spoiled the election for Carlisle.

Comment

In the Best of Honolulu edition of the Honolulu Weekly last month, Mufi Hannemann was picked as Best Political Leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          This thread is as good as any to write a post-mortem on Mufi's campaign. Where did he go wrong? These were the big blunders.

1) The "Compare and Decide" flier - Whoever was the brainchilde behind that piece of trash was a total idiot. Comparing wives and their ethnic backgrounds? Disparaging the opponent for attending the home state university? Making a total mockery of any meaningful comparison by mentioning a beard contest? Would anyone disagree with the notion that this flier was a total disaster for the Hannemann campaign?
                          I believe it was the brainchild of their campaign strategist, Kim Devlin. If you google her you'll see she worked on the east coast in some decent sized campaigns. I heard those campaigns weren't the most organized though but they're all pretty aggressive. I give her credit for being aggressive but minus points for not being smart about it. There were one or two other issues that could have really hurt Carlisle but weren't brought up, mainly because she's not local and doesn't know his history here.

Otherwise I think we have to give credit to Peter's campaign. He tried to stay away from negative ads even though he should have responded to SHOPO and Caldwell's ads (it cost him a big lead) and he won. Good job.
                          Wait, so Kim Devlin handled both Mufi’s and Caldwell’s campaign? No wonder both of them lost. Strategists should always serve just one candidate at a time. If anything, she could’ve acted as a consultant for one or the other campaign. But strategist for both?! Recipe for disaster for a mainland haole trying to navigate local politics...particularly when one race is partisan and the other not.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            Wait, so Kim Devlin handled both Mufi’s and Caldwell’s campaign? No wonder both of them lost. Strategists should always serve just one candidate at a time. If anything, she could’ve acted as a consultant for one or the other campaign. But strategist for both?! Recipe for disaster for a mainland haole trying to navigate local politics...particularly when one race is partisan and the other not.
                            Ah, NO. Sorry. What this points out is that I'm an idiot. Devlin worked on Caldwell's campaign. Period. I guess I got confused because both campaigns were aggressive, weren't afraid to go negative and made some costly errors while doing so. I did find it odd that Caldwell had a mainland consultant and Mufi didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if Mufi's team picked Devlin for Caldwell and asked for her advice when they felt they needed it. Then again I could just be hoping that happened so I feel better about my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              East coast bias?
                              No no, no east coast bias. In fact I worked for a political consulting firm out of New York and can tell you that American political consultants are used globally, especially in Europe and the Middle East. And the best firms (that I know of) come from DC and NY.

I'm not saying Devlin falls into that "elite consultant" category just because she worked in NY. In fact my old firm was consulting for a campaign on which she was a staff member on and they said the whole thing was a mess. They couldn't save it no matter what they tried.

Anyway I'm getting off track here. My original point is that if Devlin was around that kind of political environment you can bet she brought those strategies here and applied them to the Caldwell campaign.

Comment

Ah, NO. Sorry. What this points out is that I'm an idiot. Devlin worked on Caldwell's campaign. Period. I guess I got confused because both campaigns were aggressive, weren't afraid to go negative and made some costly errors while doing so. I did find it odd that Caldwell had a mainland consultant and Mufi didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if Mufi's team picked Devlin for Caldwell and asked for her advice when they felt they needed it. Then again I could just be hoping that happened so I feel better about my mistake.
                                I can understand a mainland consultant not understanding the importance of sign-waving or beef stew fundraisers in Hawaii. But it sure doesn't explain the stupidity of disparaging the opponent for attending the home state university. It doesn't matter if the election is taking place in Hawaii or Minnesota. Common sense should tell anyone that knocking the university where a good chunk of the electorate attended is not a good idea, right? It doesn't matter whether the idea came from someone who born here, in New York, or in Timbuktoo. It was stupid, period. I don't blame the Mufi supporters who tried to scapegoat some anonymous, nameless "mainland consultant" for the Compare and Decide flier. Whoever wrote up that flier, local or from elsewhere, should rightfully be embarrassed about it and prefer to remain anonymous. But ultimately, the person to blame for this flier being distributed is Mufi himself. Why he OK'ed this piece of trash to be disseminated boggles the mind. The only thing I can think of was that the Mufster forgot that campaign materials are supposed to appeal to the voters, not to his own vanity.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X