Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

I can't speak specically about HI, but can relate my personal experiences in other locations. I signed up for Dish about two months. I have a residence in SoCal and one in Baja California. Direct TV satellites are blocked in Mexico so that precluded Direct for me, plus Direct TV package was more expensive than Dish package.

In CA I have one 24" dish receiver and it never has to be re-aimed. In Mexico, I have two 48" dishes in order to magnify the signal - one for standard programming and one for HD programming. Again, I only need one smaller dish in CA for both types of programming since the satellites (three of them) are optimized for SoCal. I can take the box (about 12" x 18" x 2") forth and back with me and I only have to pay for one service, since I only need service at one place or the other at any one time.

The picture is perfect in both locations. I was warned that the signal could be interrupted by rain squalls and/or lightning, but I haven't found that to be the case. We had a spectacular lightning storm one afternoon last month (lightning strikes within a mile of us) and the picture never faltered.

I am surprised! I am very happy with Dish TV.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      In CA I have one 24" dish receiver and it never has to be re-aimed. In Mexico, I have two 48" dishes in order to magnify the signal - one for standard programming and one for HD programming. Again, I only need one smaller dish in CA for both types of programming since the satellites (three of them) are optimized for SoCal. I can take the box (about 12" x 18" x 2") forth and back with me and I only have to pay for one service, since I only need service at one place or the other at any one time.
      Sounds like you're stacking an account.... unless you got approval from Dish Network.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Sounds like you're stacking an account.... unless you got approval from Dish Network.
        Frankie, thank you for your concern. Yes, DISH is aware of it, I told them what I wanted to do upfront. In fact the person on the phone said that his father, who has a home in Mexico, is doing it. As long as I pay my account on time, they said they could care less and they said, it is none of their business. In fact, they said it is no different than someone who uses their box in their RV as they travel around the US, Canada, and Mexico. There is an extra $5 per month charge for them (and me) for doing that. In fact, DISH sold me an extra satellite dish for my installation in Mexico! However that dish didn't work because it was too small. So, I have a brand new 24" dish that I will sell for $20, if anyone is interested, but for Frankie it is free.

As long as I pay my bill on time, DISH is fine with it. And yes, Frankie, to answer your next question, I DO pay my bill on time via automatic payment from my credit card......for which I get a $5 per month deduction.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          Frankie, thank you for your concern. Yes, DISH is aware of it, I told them what I wanted to do upfront. In fact the person on the phone said that his father, who has a home in Mexico, is doing it. As long as I pay my account on time, they said they could care less and they said, it is none of their business. In fact, they said it is no different than someone who uses their box in their RV as they travel around the US, Canada, and Mexico. There is an extra $5 per month charge for them (and me) for doing that.
          Interesting. Why didn't you just set up a snowbird account? That way, you don't incur an extra monthly charge. All you need to do is pick up the phone and inform Dish whenever you move your receiver's location and to confine any satellite watching activity on that account to one place.
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 24, 2012, 09:08 AM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X