Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OTW vs Dish vs Directv in Hawaii - pros and cons?

Originally posted by amagab View Post
    Is NGN available on DirecTV or Dish?
    no is the short answer

Comment

I've worked for Oceanic and subscribed to both Dish and Directv. Directv by a lot!!! Better HD pix,less rain fade, less pixilation and satellite issues and a LOT cheaper. We have all pay channels and HD on 3 tvs and it's under $120/mo. Plus 2 DVR's included. Never going back to TW or Dish . You just need a clear shot to the east for the dish

Comment

I really want to switch to something cheaper/better than OTW. Unfortunately, we do need a Japanese channel. I've seen that Dish has a Japanese channel. Does anyone know how it compares to NGN? I keep reading bad things about Dish. How come it's so bad?

Comment

First of all, Federal Law protects a persons right to have a Satellite Dish on their home. So even in the rich prick controlled communities you may have satellite, and nobody can say anything.

Ive had Dish for more than 10 years. It's only good for folks who want to save money. DirecTV is for football fans, and I sure would love to have it. When the rain comes down especially hard you may lose signal for a minute or ten. But if you are that hooked on TV you probably need some special pill or self help tapes or something.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

timkona, where do you live? If you live in Kona then rain shouldn't be a problem However, I do live in quite a rainy area.

This is our situation: Half of our family don't watch much TV and the other half do. But the half (very old) that watch a lot of TV doesn't care about quality much.

We have a flat roof so pointing the dish in the right direction shouldn't be a problem.

Requirements:
            1) Japanese channel
            2) UH football

Could the Dish still be something for me?

Comment

Rain can be a problem for Dish Network. Not a problem for Direct TV. One thing I've noticed is the menu on Oceanic vs Direct TV. Direct TV is wayyyy better.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I really want to go with DirecTV. Just have to figure out how to solve the whole Japanese channel and UH football thing. :-(

Comment

I really want to go with DirecTV. Just have to figure out how to solve the whole Japanese channel and UH football thing. :-(
                  The one thing I miss is OC-16.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

me too - and the `Olelo stations.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

timkona, where do you live? If you live in Kona then rain shouldn't be a problem However, I do live in quite a rainy area.

This is our situation: Half of our family don't watch much TV and the other half do. But the half (very old) that watch a lot of TV doesn't care about quality much.

We have a flat roof so pointing the dish in the right direction shouldn't be a problem.

Requirements:
                      1) Japanese channel
                      2) UH football

Direct TV has station KIKU that is Japanese station. and there are plenty of PPV stations. Why don't you just call them?
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I did call them.....they told me they don't have any Japanese channels.

Comment

http://www.tvjapan.net/en/watching/dishnetwork.html

Requirements:
                          1) Japanese channel
                          2) UH football

Comment

Anyone up to sharing more recent experiences with satellite TV? This thread is an older one but still helpful (and comes up in searches all the time). I'm on Hawaiian Tel DSL and whittled my Oceanic service all the way down to analog basic service. I'm seeing more and more dishes on the roofs of my neighbors' homes in Mililani (more Dish than DirecTV, though), and am getting even more curious.

Do you still need two dishes? Can they be ground-mounted in a decent-sized yard or is the roof the only way to go? How often do you have to move/adjust them? And is that hard? We've seen our neighbors struggle with removal/re-installation when termite tenting.

Comment

Thanks for digging up the thread. I'm also all ears on this subject. I'm still with OTW but looking and looking. I was extremely close to signing up for DirecTV but Japanese channeling is a priority and DirecTV doesn't offer it.

Anyone on Windward Oahu with Dish? How's your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                Do you still need two dishes? Can they be ground-mounted in a decent-sized yard or is the roof the only way to go? How often do you have to move/adjust them? And is that hard? We've seen our neighbors struggle with removal/re-installation when termite tenting.
                                I've had DirecTV since 2007. I'm happy with it, but I wish it was cheaper. It used to require two dishes, but now one is enough (except perhaps for some non-English channels). Mine is on my roof, on a tripod. People put them on poles sometimes on the mainland, or in cement tubs on balconies, I understand, but the dish size used is larger in Hawaii, so I'm skeptical those other mounts would work here. You have to have line of sight from the dish to the DirecTV satellites.

I wouldn't try to realign a dish, myself, but some people do it. One can find directions on line -- there is some specialized equipment that is helpful. Ordinarily, they never have to be realigned. You wouldn't necessarily have to pay DirecTV for that sort of thing -- it would depend on circumstances. The equipment remains theirs, and they will maintain it sometimes.
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X