Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

Default Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

The US Navy Blue Angels will be flying from the Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station on September 25 and 26. No idea on the time of the day this is happening.

Default Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

HATE HATE HATE when they practice. Strafing over our houses and rattling doors, windows, knick knacks, so close you can see their faces in the cockpits no kidding. It's absolutely ridiculous. Practice today and tomorrow.
    I saw printed schedules of their shows in stores in Kailua and I thought yesterday had an article with the information in the Local section of the
    paper. I don't need to go to any formal shows unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    HATE HATE HATE when they practice. Strafing over our houses and rattling doors, windows, knick knacks, so close you can see their faces in the cockpits no kidding. It's absolutely ridiculous. Practice today and tomorrow.
    I guess it's one of those things that create inconvenience for some people (just like how the Honolulu Marathon affects Kahala residents every year), but the air shows put on by the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds do pump dollars into the local economy.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

FM - you are right, the BA were last here 6 years ago. I remember well because my dog died the day before practice and I was on the phone with a pet grief counselor from Tufts University vet school and she and I couldn't hear
    each other and when she could speak she wanted to know if I was calling from Beirut or Baghdad due to the deafening noise! They're flying overhead as I type. Amazing how close they can get.

[...] so close you can see their faces in the cockpits no kidding.[...](
    [...] Amazing how close they can get.
    I hear ya! One time I was on the lanai at my house sitting gig, talking to the pool guy when one of the Thunderbirds screamed by pretty much at eye level. We could see his face. Another time one of the planes flew along the Waikiki shoreline. It was below my daughter's 36th floor condo window.

Thumbs up Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Another time one of the planes flew along the Waikiki shoreline. It was below my daughter's 36th floor condo window.
    I remember spending time in San Diego and all the commercial planes flying into the airport were below my window.
    But I'm thrilled that the Blue Angels are back. This will be the third time they're here since I've been in this house. I'm about 100' above the water, right near Coconut Island.
    Last time I watched from shore Friday and Saturday but took my boat out and anchored off the tip of Coconut Island on Sunday. WOW. Darned shame I sold the boat.
    And the last time they were here I posted this story here: There was a Thursday practice day for them, where they fly all around the neighborhood familiarizing themselves with landmarks to watch for during the real shows. At one point I was out on my lanai watching, and four of them screamed by in a really tight formation just a couple of feet apart at 500mph or so. The closest pilot looked over... and waved. Uh, dude, you're flying a plane at 500mph, just a few inches from another one, and about 100' above Kaneohe Bay. Shouldn't you be, you know... steering your damned plane?!?
    Amazing. These pilots are so incredibly talented, we can't imagine. They're showing us what our country has to protect us and to let the rest of us live the lives we do.
    Make all the darned noise you want, boys! God love ya and protect ya!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Exclamation Re: Blue Angels in Kaneohe 2010

We were out there to see the Blue Angels in 2007, and we'll be back there tomorrow. It's insanely hot, insanely crowded, insanely noisy... but we mostly have fun, and my sons in particular can't get enough of big machines. I just have to remember to top up my gas tank, in case it takes three hours to get out of the base again.

They never commit to a specific time as to when the Blue Angels will perform, but I would guess in the early afternoon. I hope we can hold out until then!

Another complaint about something that happens only a few days in a year.

H-1 traffic is certainly more annoying, and that happens over 270 days per year.

Just for the record I am avoiding the whole thing. Too much traffic, crowds and no official time when the angels fly. Seen them twice before. Good enough at this time for me.

For those going, have fun and take plenty of pictures.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I hear ya! One time I was on the lanai at my house sitting gig, talking to the pool guy when one of the Thunderbirds screamed by pretty much at eye level. We could see his face. Another time one of the planes flew along the Waikiki shoreline. It was below my daughter's 36th floor condo window.
    I was interviewing Dale Levitski from "Top Chef" when the Thunderbirds were practicing and it was the craziest time trying to Q&A and converse with them blazing by, we were on Coral Street at Hank's Haute Dogs. He'd never had an interview with such activity going on, said he'd never forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    They never commit to a specific time as to when the Blue Angels will perform, but I would guess in the early afternoon.
    KITV news last night said the air shows start at 11am. I don't know if they picked that up from 2007 or if it's something they found currently, though. I'll post something here as soon as I see it start.
    Wave when you go by, Ryan!

It's 11:40am and nothing yet. Couple of military helicopters have been circling the bay for the last hour or so, looking like security and clearance stuff. No sound of jets at all. Lots of boats heading out, some to anchor off Coconut Island and others to the sandbar.
    Mostly clear skies, tradewinds about 12 to 14 knots. Just a few little whitecaps on the bay.

Single-engine prop plane started doing stunts shortly after noon.

Still stunt prop plane at 1:15pm. Couple of helicopters over the bay again, so maybe it's close to time for the jets.

After the stunt plane(s), the F-22 Raptor went up at 2:15 and just landed a minute ago. Most of its show was directly over the runways at the base. Hopefully the BA's are up in about 5 minutes.
    Weather couldn't be better if it tried! Absolutely blue skies, with the only clouds waaaay offshore and of course directly over the Koolau range.

Last half hour has been a stunt prop plane again.

Blue Angels were 3:30 to 4:05. Fantastic, of course!
    If any of my photos are worth a darn, I'll post 'em. A couple of times they went straight over my roof and just a couple of hundred feet up, but they were so close and so fast I'm sure the camera couldn't handle it.
    Looking forward to Ryan's report...

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Blue Angels were 3:30 to 4:05. Fantastic, of course!
    If any of my photos are worth a darn, I'll post 'em. A couple of times they went straight over my roof and just a couple of hundred feet up, but they were so close and so fast I'm sure the camera couldn't handle it.
    Looking forward to Ryan's report...
    We had great viewing. Yesterday we made a little compilation of our photos to music. If I can figure out how to post it I will.

Taken today with my little Kodak EasyShare digital, so don't expect art, just snapshots:

A few more to follow...

Here's the second of the three sets:

And the last are three are coming up next...

The last three:

Probably my favorite:

And finally:

Like I said, just snapshots, but I hope you enjoyed 'em.

Default Re: F-22 Raptor Takes Flight Over Kaneohe Bay 2010

Like I said, just snapshots, but I hope you enjoyed 'em.
    FWIW, awesome! Mahalo for sharing, LN! I'm so envious of your bayfront perch of "convenience" to watch the show.

I arrived at Kaneohe Marine Base at 2pm today, right when the F-22 Raptor demonstration started. AND THAT was "machinery love" at first sight! All $130 million tax-paying dollars of it (that would be for each one, not including gas and other overhead)! lol

Seriously, like wow!!! As a solo performance, the Raptor pilot was able to really cut loose, keeping the engines in full afterburn (and probably watching his gas gauge suck down to zero very quickly) throughout most of the performance, pulling hard-G turns, radical angles of attack, high speed passes and stalls, showcasing the 22's vectored thrust capabilities. The Raptor actually looks bigger in flight than its replacement, the F-15 Eagle, thanks to its stealthy diamond wing and elevon shape.

To me, the Raptor demo was the highlight of this year's Bayfest, as I've never seen it in flight doing such radical maneuvers, all up close and personal like it was done today. Almost a surreal experience, as before today, I've only seen the Raptor unleash its flight capabilities on YouTube and video games (ha). Today it was VERY real!

The parking at the base was very well managed and directed, where from the front gate, I got in and parked within 5 minutes, and got out within 15 minutes, even with all the folks trying to depart at the same time.

As for the schedule, it kinda' sucks that they can't give a solid time for each performance, yet I'm willing to bet tomorrow's Bayfest will follow closely with today's times. With that, DO NOT MISS the F-22 demonstration. Beyond amazing! That should happen at 2pm. Blue Angels at 3pm.
    Last edited by Pomai; September 25th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    As for the schedule, it kinda' sucks that they can't give a solid time for each performance, yet I'm willing to bet tomorrow's Bayfest will follow closely with today's times.
    That's what I figure too, and it's why I posted the updates yesterday, so folks planning to go today can kinda predict things.
    Forecasters called for lighter winds today and possible rain showers this afternoon, so that might change the schedule.

That's what I figure too, and it's why I posted the updates yesterday, so folks planning to go today can kinda predict things.
    Forecasters called for lighter winds today and possible rain showers this afternoon, so that might change the schedule.
    I'll be waiting! Wow LikaNui -AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING your photos! WOW!

Wow LikaNui -AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING your photos! WOW!
    Very funny, Leash! Like I said yesterday, they're just basic snapshots from a little Kodak EasyShare camera. I had it set on autofocus and zoomed as tight as it would go, then just waited until the jets got reasonably close, looked into the lens, and punched the camera shutter. With the camera pre-zoomed and the jets going as fast as 700mph at times, it was pretty hard to even find them in the lens, then try to follow them and not lose them and then hit the shutter without just capturing nothing but blue sky.
    Oh, at one point the Blue Angels giant cargo plane named Fat Albert, a huge 4-engined prop plane, was doing a demo and popped over the hill behind me and came straight over my roof, maybe 200' above me... and I was changing batteries in the camera and missed the shot.
    Anyway, right now the skies are mostly clear and tradewinds at 8 to 12 knots. The two military helicopters started doing security laps around the bay about 10 minutes ago.
    Like yesterday, I'm doing a whole lot of house cleaning and will take breaks when I hear the jets.
    Enjoy your day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast