Fireworks Sales Restricted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks Sales Restricted

ho brah, i not too happy with this dela cruz guy.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ks_limits.html

Todd Apo, Donovan Dela Cruz, Lee Donohue, Nestor Garcia and Gary Okino.

In fact all these guys leaving office and passing this ban just before they leave office and bum my news years trip.

Donahue I can understand, he was one police chief. But Apo, Dela Cruz, Garcia and Okino. Cah mahn, no tell me you never like pop firewerks when small kid time. Lose money talk about these guys since most going be out anyway.

man all grumpy now.

Re: Fireworks Sales Restricted

From the article:
    A bill the City Council approved yesterday will continue to allow firecrackers by permit, but will bar sale, purchase or use of all other consumer fireworks, including sparklers, fountains and so-called "paperless" firecrackers.
    Chinese-style red firecrackers are okay, but the mostly harmless types you were able to buy by the bucketload are now out? Interesting. Considering how weak those fireworks were anyway, I half expect people will just go outside and set fire to random crap instead.

Any thoughts on the firecracker sales guy who says, basically, that total bans are pointless, and that the system will basically boost the longstanding and very effective black market for fireworks? I find all fireworks annoying, but the ones that trouble me the most are definitely the ones you're not even supposed to be able to buy.

Comment

I see all sides on this fireworks issue. For those who say it's annoying, it is true to a point. I don't particularly care to hear them randomly, but I don't mind them on New Year's or July 4th. Those are the timeframes where they are considered acceptable, and since it's twice a year, it shouldn't bug people too much.

The thought of saying they're dangerous is only as true as how unsafe you operate it. If you're blitzed drunk and lighting explosives on fire next to flammable products or dry foliage, then chances are you're not very bright. If you're leaving kids unattended with these things, then you're not very bright. If you're randomly shooting them at people's houses, then you're not very considerate. But if you know how to operate it, have a fire extinguisher or preventive agent around, then have at it. And if people are paying for these permits, why complain about a twice yearly source of state income?

But if you complain about fireworks on New Years/July 4th, you're probably the same type of person who complains about Turkeys at Thanksgiving, gifts at Christmas, pumpkins on Halloween, and tailgate parties at football games.

Comment

who are we kidding - fireworks have not been restricted. when you outlaw sparklers (are you joking?????) and paperless fireworks and yet still allow the really noisy/smoky firecrackers, thats not a ban!!!!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

A friend of the family lost his hand in a freak firework accident. He was not drunk or stoned or careless in anyway, but he was handling dangerous and unpredictable explosives. These things happen.

I love a good fireworks show-- as long as I'm a reasonable distance away to not be inhaling the smoke (I have asthma). The problem with the fireworks in Hawaii is that there's no escaping them on New Years, at least not in the neighborhood I live in. I remember trying to walk to a friends house on New Years Eve -- early evening, no where close to midnight -- and it was honestly a bit scary because people were shooting fireworks everywhere, and there was a good chance of being hit.

I don't agree with an island wide ban, because I have many fond memories of shooting fireworks while growing up, but I do think there should be more regulations that are actually enforced. Mainly, I don't think fireworks should be allowed to shot on streets and sidewalks where there's a danger to others.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

For years, Oahu residents have put up with illegal fireworks, aerials....etc....they put up with the smoke, the noise, they even put up with an aerial setting fire to a woman's house a few years back and KILLING her.

But when someone began to detonate those massive KA-BOOM! bombs....the kind that sound like a mini-thermo nuclear bomb going off...I think that is when residents reached the breaking point.

Congratulations on getting your "tradition" and "cultural rights" squashed.

You deserve everything you get.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
              Todd Apo, Donovan Dela Cruz, Lee Donohue, Nestor Garcia and Gary Okino.

In fact all these guys leaving office and passing this ban just before they leave office and bum my news years trip.
              Didn't Nestor Garcia had a relative get hurt from a fireworks accident as an innocent bystander?

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post

You deserve everything you get.
                haha you think you going get under my skin with the little jab? I deal with people like you all the time. most of the time they think this way because deep down, they think they're better, more civilized, more educated, more you-name-it than local folks.

it's been that way since Captain Cook visited the isles and it happens today when fresh military commanders or corporate guys arrive here. That's what the cultural sensitivity classes are for. so your mainlanders no piss off the locals. some guys who come here get it and live happy lives. most don't and stay here and stay all piss off (you probably one of them) but you all learn to hide how you feel about locals in public. some in the end change their minds. i know plenty haole guys like that. they good guys. they happy here just how it is.

next.

garcia gets a pass from me too if he knows folks hurt by the illegals kine stuff. and what kinds bugs me is the ban on sparklers. my kids love those. they don't even pop firecracker.

edit: by the way, i get a few thunda kings left. i set um off in kunia so i no piss you off if you live kailua. see how reasonable and courteous i am?

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                  For years, Oahu residents have put up with illegal fireworks, aerials....etc....they put up with the smoke, the noise, they even put up with an aerial setting fire to a woman's house a few years back and KILLING her.

But when someone began to detonate those massive KA-BOOM! bombs....the kind that sound like a mini-thermo nuclear bomb going off...I think that is when residents reached the breaking point.

Amen to all that!

Can anyone think of an excuse in Hawaii that has been abused more often than "cultural traditions?"
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I hear you, 808shooter. I think it’s pilau — and when HFD has to work overtime to put out all the fires, they can blame shortsighted lawmakers like these idiots who have made illegal aerials the only alternative to getting their aunties, uncles, grandparents, cousins, neighbors and friends to stand in line to pay $25 for a city permit for 500 firecrackers. Street legal fireworks no longer exist. Congratulations. Welcome to Prohibition part II. Just like the first time, it will be repealed after a few years, but not before organized crime gets filthy rich over it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      Didn't Nestor Garcia had a relative get hurt from a fireworks accident as an innocent bystander?
                      I think one of his relatives was killed, when a device being set off exploded and a piece of plastic hit him in the head.

Yes this is true.

Comment

No I wasn't talking to you 808shooter, just to the guys who set off that aerial that killed that lady in the house fire a few yrs back, to the guys who set off that bomb near Pearl Ridge that damaged a little girl's hand, was it Cindy Somea or something?

And to the guys who set off those massive ka-boom bombs.

Those guys I feel deserve everything that's happening today....in terms of the new fireworks laws and the public sentiment turning sour towards many of the illegal stuff.

I used to pop fireworks too when I was a kid and I personally love sparklers.

But when those morons began turning Oahu into a battlezone, that's when they crossed the line.

haha you think you going get under my skin with the little jab? I deal with people like you all the time. most of the time they think this way because deep down, they think they're better, more civilized, more educated, more you-name-it than local folks.

it's been that way since Captain Cook visited the isles and it happens today when fresh military commanders or corporate guys arrive here. That's what the cultural sensitivity classes are for. so your mainlanders no piss off the locals. some guys who come here get it and live happy lives. most don't and stay here and stay all piss off (you probably one of them) but you all learn to hide how you feel about locals in public. some in the end change their minds. i know plenty haole guys like that. they good guys. they happy here just how it is.

next.

garcia gets a pass from me too if he knows folks hurt by the illegals kine stuff. and what kinds bugs me is the ban on sparklers. my kids love those. they don't even pop firecracker.

edit: by the way, i get a few thunda kings left. i set um off in kunia so i no piss you off if you live kailua. see how reasonable and courteous i am?

Comment

okay so we ban the legal stuff that you could buy without a permit. I'm thinking people will now buy the permits to light the more potent harmful stuff that can really cause some major injury...or...people will resort to buying the illegal stuff that we all see every New Year's eve.

Either way it'll either make the city councils more money with added permit purchases...and/or there will be more injuries because people will be lighting the more potent fireworks.

But Sparklers?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            okay so we ban the legal stuff that you could buy without a permit. I'm thinking people will now buy the permits to light the more potent harmful stuff that can really cause some major injury...or...people will resort to buying the illegal stuff that we all see every New Year's eve.

Either way it'll ... make the city councils more money with added permit purchases.
                            And this goes to the heart of the motivation behind this bill, and why outgoing Mayor Caldwell will sign it as one of his last acts before the new mayor comes in. It comes down to cold, hard cash.

What you’re going to find is consumer fireworks vendors such as Longs Drugs® will suffer this year. Not just because their main supplier was charged with smuggling aerials, but because people will buy much less sparklers and fountains, knowing that next year, they won’t be allowed to use the leftovers. Better to save their money for illegal aerials, instead.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

yep this is what happens when the government gets involved with private enterprise.

I can see the health benefits...if this ban does in fact stop these kinds of sales without resorting to illegal purchases.

If health is a concern then they should ban all forms of fireworks instead of singling out one. One is a start...however why single out the legal stuff that doesn't require a permit and is less fatal?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X