Fireworks Sales Restricted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fireworks Sales Restricted

I miss all the fireworks my uncle would bring in from SE Asia for New Year's. That was some good fun we had out in Haiku or down Makena. Guess I am lucky no one ever got hurt, tho they were always strict with us kids. Hope folks figure out a good compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
      Alohakine is hoping to see a lot of true Americans exercising their god given right to celebrate with fireworks on the fourth and not caving in and licking the boots of an intolerent few like a bunch of groveling dogs.

It won't be the first time that Americans broke an unjust law to display our freedoms. After all, Thomas Jefferson said that if a law is unjust, it is not only your right to brake it, it is your duty to brake it.
      Hmmm. Seems you don't like spelling laws either.... break the law if it is unjust, don't brake it - brake your car at a red light! (Unless you want to break the braking law!)

Remember that our government gave us options to CHANGE laws, and though it takes longer, it doesn't incur penalties.
      Also, most unjust laws in our history were changed because of civil disobedience (prohibition, discrimination), so long as you know what is coming.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Every other year before now I've heard fireworks (especially boomers) start about a week before July 4th, but so far this year, not a single one! Hooray!
        Anyone else heard any yet?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Anyone else heard any yet?
          I haven't either! Both in Kalihi or Moi'ili'ili. Hooray times infinity...
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Nada. Nothing. Odd, since I thought some of those blasts where "home grown" and not likely to be affected by any enforcement action.

I'm thinking the recent tragedy in Waikele may have a lot to do with it. Especially if you consider WAF - Wife Approval Factor. I'm thinking "big bangs" are no longer cool.

I'm not complaining mind you - especially about the illegal stuff. But I'm puzzled as to why it's so successful.

Comment

Nothing at the ewa end of Waikiki...

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Nada. Nothing. Odd, since I thought some of those blasts where "home grown" and not likely to be affected by any enforcement action.

I'm thinking the recent tragedy in Waikele may have a lot to do with it. Especially if you consider WAF - Wife Approval Factor. I'm thinking "big bangs" are no longer cool.

I'm not complaining mind you - especially about the illegal stuff. But I'm puzzled as to why it's so successful.
                I think you're onto something. Setting aside the still-as-yet undetermined cause of what triggered the deadly explosion, the fact remains that the blast was generated by illegal fireworks seized by the authorities. AFAIAC, the blood of those 5 men are on the hands of the importers, distributors, sellers,... and yes, the customers of illegal fireworks.

I think the tragedy has bothered the conscience of many locals and has changed their attitudes re: illicit fireworks. The selfish arguments that fireworks proponents have used to defend their obnoxious behavior is something the greater public is less willing to tolerate as time marches on.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Perhaps there are also a lot of adults secretly thinking "Whew. I don't have to waste hundreds of dollars on fireworks this year." Ya think?

And again last night, zero noise. Wonderful! It'll be interesting to see what we all hear or don't hear tonight.

Comment

we just got those sparklers. It's still legal here on the Big Island. But as for noise report...nothing here in Keaau. But then the real test will be New Years eve.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

After 5pm and still not one single firecracker! WOW.
                      Is today really the 4th of July?

Comment

I've heard 3 fireworks sounds from the town side building I'm in since noon. 2 yesterday also. Each one of them sweet music to the ears of those who love freedom and civil liberties.

Comment

Since I posted, I've heard one bottle rocket and one large boom.

While I like what it's done to the illegal fireworks, at an emotional level it bugs me that we're celebrating our independence by acting like sheep. It's like we're ready to be assimilated. Is it really July 4th?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Perhaps there are also a lot of adults secretly thinking "Whew. I don't have to waste hundreds of dollars on fireworks this year." Ya think?
                            That's probably another major reason. While unemployment has been going down in Hawaii, people are spending their dollars more cautiously. Never know when the price of gas or some other essential will suddenly spike.

The absence of fireworks and the state of the economy. Should anyone be surprised that the two go hand-in-hand.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Contributing factors I'm sure, but I have to think there's been a change of attitude. The amnesty program proved that there was quite a bit "out there".

Comment

Is there a ban on blowing up paper bags and then popping it?

Comment

Working...
                                X