Fireworks Sales Restricted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fireworks Sales Restricted

also just thought about it. GM at Donki, store mgrs at Longs all the little retailers that setup shop around new years going to take a beating this year.

probably too late to stop orders from Asia for all the fireworks they ordered. All on the boat already - maybe sitting in containers in Matson or Horizon waiting for inspection.

No one I know but they must be pretty upset.

edit: guess this take effect Dec 31 2011?
    Last edited by 808shooter; September 27, 2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

ya know...long time ago we had consistant trades blowing a lot of the smoke out to sea (in Honolulu). Back then (60's and early 70's) we didn't have to contend with the population boom out to Kapolei or Ewa, so most of the smoke resided within the valley areas of central and east Honolulu where the trade winds took most of it out.

I've noticed within the last 20-years with El Nino, we've had more Kona winds making for more muggy weather on the leeward areas of all islands. Plus with the population moving towards the plains area of Oahu where there isn't much channelling of winds from the valleys that make up Koolau...I wonder if these two combinations stall most of the smoke over the central plains of Oahu instead of being blown out over the ocean from diminishing trades?

Just a thought...
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I might be the odd man out but I still think the best solution would be to set designated areas for fireworks (what type is another debate). That way, anything outside of those areas is illegal. Then it would be easy to bust and fine. And within the designated area, it would help congregate any accident/incident so first responders would have a little easier time instead of zipping back and forth here and there.

Comment

I still say those who enjoyed setting off those "shock and awe" bombs are getting their just desserts.

Very happy for them, and hope whatever hearing they have left after setting off those massive explosions ...will be used to hear the sound of my laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            I might be the odd man out but I still think the best solution would be to set designated areas for fireworks (what type is another debate). That way, anything outside of those areas is illegal. Then it would be easy to bust and fine. And within the designated area, it would help congregate any accident/incident so first responders would have a little easier time instead of zipping back and forth here and there.
            Good idea. I say, ferry everyone that wants to use fireworks on Jan. 31st and July 4th to Kaho'olawe or some other isolated island/atoll and blow whatever they want (firecrackers, rockets, bombs). Afterwards, they'll all be responsible for cleaning the mess up, or fining them $1000 if they don't complete their clean-up quota. Also, they all need to sign a waiver holding the state free of liability for any smoke inhalation, burns, missing fingers, shrapnel injuries, and whatnot. That way, only your fellow fireworks user is put at risk rather than innocent victims. Surely, those non-professional fireworks afficionados should have no problem with that.... unless the truth of the matter was that they just wanted to irritate their neighbors. Well, one will derive no such sadistic pleasure if my proposal gets implemented. THEN,.... we'll see who really uses fireworks for "cultural traditions," and those who give it up because they can no longer engage in mischief and make a nuisance of themselves to the non-fireworks users around them.

I'm not entirely unhappy about this measure passing, but I can understand why people are upset about the way the ban is being implemented. A lame duck mayor signing off on the bill just as he is set to leave office. As I warned everyone here, Kirk Caldwell is cut out of the same cloth as the man who appointed him into the position which allowed him to be the acting mayor: Mufi Hannemann.
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 28, 2010, 12:32 PM.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I second this.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Good idea. I say, ferry everyone that wants to use fireworks on Jan. 31st and July 4th to Kaho'olawe or some other isolated island/atoll and blow whatever they want (firecrackers, rockets, bombs). Afterwards, they'll all be responsible for cleaning the mess up, or fining them $1000 if they don't complete their clean-up quota. Also, they all need to sign a waiver holding the state free of liability for any smoke inhalation, burns, missing fingers, shrapnel injuries, and whatnot. That way, only your fellow fireworks user is put at risk rather than innocent victims. Surely, those non-professional fireworks afficionados should have no problem with that.... unless the truth of the matter was that they just wanted to irritate their neighbors. Well, one will derive no such sadistic pleasure if my proposal gets implemented. THEN,.... we'll see who really uses fireworks for "cultural traditions," and those who give it up because they can no longer engage in mischief and make a nuisance of themselves to the non-fireworks users around them.

I'm not entirely unhappy about this measure passing, but I can understand why people are upset about the way the ban is being implemented. A lame duck mayor signing off on the bill just as he is set to leave office. As I warned everyone here, Kirk Caldwell is cut out of the same cloth as the man who appointed him into the position which allowed him to be the acting mayor: Mufi Hannemann.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Any thoughts on the firecracker sales guy who says, basically, that total bans are pointless, and that the system will basically boost the longstanding and very effective black market for fireworks?
                I agree with him 100%. There is no doubt in my mind that tens of thousands of O‘ahu residents are making plans to violate this ban on both the 4th of July — and especially — New Year’s eve. They no doubt paid a pretty penny to ensure that, too, now that (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) the Black Market is open. And now the Honolulu Fire Department thinks people are going to just walk into a fire station and hand it all over?! Yeah, good luck with that.

City collecting illegal fireworks

By Gordon Y.K. Pang
                POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jun 15, 2011
                A new amnesty program will allow people to drop off illegal fireworks at designated fire stations from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through the four weekends.

The fireworks will be collected by police for disposal.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Ban or no ban, the junk has deminished so much you rarely hear a pop on those two days now, unless you live right in the few remaining hardhead areas. HOORAY!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    And now the Honolulu Fire Department thinks people are going to just walk into a fire station and hand it all over?! Yeah, good luck with that.
                    Don't look now, Tunnl, but,....

Residents part ways with illegal fireworks.

An estimated 1,000 pounds of fireworks, from professional-grade aerials to sparklers, were unloaded by residents at four West Oahu fire stations Saturday, the first day of a monthlong amnesty program sponsored by the Honolulu fire and police departments.

"We really didn't know what to expect but I think it surprised all of us how much was brought in," said Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.
                    A half-ton's worth of fireworks handed in to HFD. And that's just the first day.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      A half-ton's worth of fireworks handed in to HFD. And that's just the first day.
                      Great kudos to local residents!

This is the "good guys" version; wait till 7-4-2011.

If I had any left I would send them to HFD via aerial express.
                      As it is, I have a tank of acetylene, a cardboard rug-tube cannon (all legal) with which to celebrate la dia de independencia!

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Which leads me to ask a question of you folks lucky-who-live-you know where...

In your experience, which celebration has the larger expression of fireworks use by residents, Independence Day or New Year's Eve? My under-educated guess would be NYE, but what say those of you who are in the know?

Comment

NYE by a long shot, a HUGE shot! There's no comparison. Fourth of July is an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            In your experience, which celebration has the larger expression of fireworks use by residents, Independence Day or New Year's Eve? My under-educated guess would be NYE, but what say those of you who are in the know?
                            Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            NYE by a long shot, a HUGE shot! There's no comparison. Fourth of July is an afterthought.
                            Honoruru is right. Much more fireworks are lit by residents on NYE.

Conversely, professional fireworks displays dominate the night-time skies on July 4th. Most residents are content to enjoy the pyrotechnics set off by others at Ala Moana, Pearl Harbor, and Kailua

Comment

It would seem that those who saved fireworks and didn't give them away to the fire dept. should be able to make a nice profit in years to come on the black market supply and demand.

What I hate is the news media acting like lighting a sparkler will result in a felony. Not exactly. And besides the tried and true method of "shoot and scoot" still applies here. The cops gotta catch you in the act. So that means only carry a little bit at a time, look out for cops first, shoot them off fast, and then leave the area. Then get the personal "glow" from defying the political group(s) that got this passed AGAINST 64% of the voters' wills.

Alohakine is hoping to see a lot of true Americans exercising their god given right to celebrate with fireworks on the fourth and not caving in and licking the boots of an intolerent few like a bunch of groveling dogs.

It won't be the first time that Americans broke an unjust law to display our freedoms. After all, Thomas Jefferson said that if a law is unjust, it is not only your right to brake it, it is your duty to brake it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                                ...true Americans exercising their god given right to celebrate with fireworks ...
                                Brah, you worship one fun god!

Comment

Working...
                                X