Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Aloha!
    We have overcrowding prisons to the point where we are sending our criminals to the mainland for incarceration. Perhaps it would be better to sentence the worst to death, and be over with it. It would provide a better safety for our society at a cheaper price.

There are a few cases that I remember that could have resulted with a death sentence. From my recollection, the Xerox massacre, and there was this 11 year old who was murdered by a druggie for her gold Hawaiian bracelets....

What do you think???
    Nobu

Re: How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Despite being a liberal in most areas, I believe Hawaii should reinstate the death penalty for certain crimes!

I used to despair over cases where young children were beaten to death, and those responsible received only a few years in prision, when I believed they should have been executed for those crimes.

I'm not interested in rehabitibilitating those people or if they were mentally unbalanced, just execute and get rid of them.

Young children depend upon adults for protection and those who deliberately abuse and kill them should be executed, period!!

Comment

Our species should strive to evolve beyond such primitive solutions.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
        What do you think???
        I think it would take us back to the dark ages.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Very funny, first you pretend to argue for a legal change to uphold 'human rights', then with your next breath, you want to argue for a legal change taking away 'human rights'. Typical. I guess you're not happy with the way things are, yet have no reasonable idea how to improve the situation. Try tink, brah.
          Last edited by salmoned; September 28, 2010, 10:33 AM.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

It would provide a better safety for our society at a cheaper price.
            Provide more safety? At a cheaper price? What leads you to believe that either of these is so?
            Greg

Comment

Death penalty cheap?

Perhaps it would be better to sentence the worst to death, and be over with it. It would provide a better safety for our society at a cheaper price ... What do you think???
              I agree with you in principle, but if we are to believe cynsaligia in the previous discussion about capital punishment on HT, you are just flat-out wrong that it would be cheaper, Nobu. If I understand correctly, keeping a convicted felon on death row will cost million$ more per inmate then just sentencing them to life in prison.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

This could just be a stupid question but if one is convicted and given the death penalty why is there a "death row"? Why isn't the person convicted and sentenced not just put to death?
                This is not to say I am for or against the death penalty I'm just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                  This could just be a stupid question but if one is convicted and given the death penalty why is there a "death row"? Why isn't the person convicted and sentenced not just put to death?
                  This is not to say I am for or against the death penalty I'm just asking.
                  During the time that someone is on death row, they do have the time to go through the appeals process in order to delay or even reverse the death sentence. It can happen.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

So many cases in recent years showing that prosecutors and police tampered with evidence, or recent improvements in DNA which led to exoneration of people wrongly convicted and sentenced to death, in some cases even after the sentence was carried out --- those alone should convince you of the wrong of capital punishment.

Better that dozens of guilty are not convicted than that a single innocent should be put to death.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                      Provide more safety? At a cheaper price? What leads you to believe that either of these is so?
                      Hi Greg,
                      Provides more safety:
                      No one who has been executed for murder has ever committed the act of murder again, yet among the released murderers, the recidivism rate is about 6%. Life With Out Parole in Hawaii actually means 20 years without parole. You may look it up in our penal codes if you wish, and find it to be so,

Source: http://hawaii.gov/jud/24471sdo.pdf

As far as costing less, it is obvious that 10 years of appeals and incarceration plus an execution, is far cheaper than an average of 40 years of incarceration.

Comment

Re: Death penalty cheap?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        I agree with you in principle, but if we are to believe cynsaligia in the previous discussion about capital punishment on HT, you are just flat-out wrong that it would be cheaper, Nobu. If I understand correctly, keeping a convicted felon on death row will cost million$ more per inmate then just sentencing them to life in prison.
                        Actually, you are wrong. It doesn't cost us any more or less to incarcerate a prisoner in a maximum security prison whether he is on death row or not. But if he isn't on death row, it costs more because of the years of incarceration after he should have been executed. What DOES cost more, is a capital trial where a death sentenced is sought. HOWEVER, because of plea bargain, it is actually cheaper to have capital punishment as an exerciseable bargaining tool. Since a plea bargain in order to live is likely to be accepted, a costly trial IF capital punishment was not available, the plea bargainer has nothing to lose by going through a costly trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          So many cases in recent years showing that prosecutors and police tampered with evidence, or recent improvements in DNA which led to exoneration of people wrongly convicted and sentenced to death, in some cases even after the sentence was carried out --- those alone should convince you of the wrong of capital punishment.

Better that dozens of guilty are not convicted than that a single innocent should be put to death.
                          In Hawaii????? Name one?
                          Besides that, don't you think that a false conviction is even a greater possibility if a death sentence isn't sought?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            During the time that someone is on death row, they do have the time to go through the appeals process in order to delay or even reverse the death sentence. It can happen.
                            True. However, no person sentenced to death will ever get out of prison alive without his sentence being commuted, while in Hawaii, a murderer sentenced to Life Without Parole is apt to get out after 20 years.

Comment

No one who has been executed for murder has ever committed the act of murder again.
                              And an innocent man can't live his life once killed.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X