This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 6

Poke, microwave chicken noodle dish, deli salads and a bottle of water.

Comment

Shrimp, deli salads, egg rolls, sushi and a bottle of water.

Comment

gonna chow on some ja ja mein. Yum-O!

Comment

Microwave beef flavored noodle dish with deli salads and a bottle of water.

Comment

Meatloaf, egg rolls, deli salads and a bottle of water.

Comment

BBQ Chicken, various veggies and salads with a cup of Diet Coke from Yummy Korean BBQ.

Comment

Combo #8 and a cup of Mountain Dew from Arbys'.

Comment

Sandwiches and a cup of iced water from Arby's.

Comment

Sandwiches from Arby's again.

Comment

Hummus, Trisquit Paremesan/garlic thin crisps and a little Sauvignon Blanc from a blue box!
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

at my annual physical last month the Dr. said I should cut sugar from my diet as my glucose level was a bit high. So, I bought a cookbook called "The Mediterranean Diabetes Cookbook". Tonite I prepared a recipe from the book called Tomato/Tarragon Chicken Thighs. It was totally delicious! I served it with a small helping of mash potatoes and of course some wine. It was really a very good meal! I would highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who needs to watch their sugar intake.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hi Guys and Gals:

I thought I would just post something here. I always wonder why the postings here are about fast food and junk food --- not criticizing, but just asking. I don't see many postings about real, cooked, hearty meals.

So here is what I made this weekend. For dinner on Saturday, I made a whole roasted shoulder of pork, with the skin still on the top. I seasoned it well, scored the skin on the top, and roasted in the oven skin side up. And I made sure that the last hour was on higher heat to make the skin crispy. For the last 40 minutes, I added red potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery (I like my roasted veggies "al dente", I don't like squooshie veggies). So the meal was roasted pork with roasted veggies.

I made scratch gravy with the drippings and cooked a little bit of rice for my daughter who has to have rice with gravy.

I made a salad to go with the meal -- romaine, cherry tomatoes, red onion slivers, a little bit of cucumber, and some garbanzo beans (I love garbanzo beans!!). I also made homemade Caesar salad dressing.

Opened a bottle of nice red wine and we had a great dinner. Had some rolls too, but nobody ate any of them.

For Sunday (late lunch actually), I made stuff for eating while watching the NFL football games. I made homemade salsa, sour cream, avocado slices, grilled Spanish onions, grilled Portabello mushrooms, grilled Jalapeno peppers (hot, but so good) and a whole bunch of grilled thin-sliced, boneless chuck steaks. I seasoned the chuck steaks with garlic power, pepper, Hawaiian salt, and Mexican chili mix. Then I cut up the meat into thin slices and we had (essentially) Carne Asada tacos with a whole lot of other stuff --- chips, dips, dark beer, and a cheese and cracker tray.

Tonight for MNF, I will make something simpler for dinner -- cold tofu with ginger/shoyu, musubis, spam musubis, fried salmon bellies, and maybe some natto and some ikura.

Comment

the postings you see are supposed to be "whats for dinner" so we post what we had for dinner. its not really very complicated
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
                              Hi Guys and Gals:

I thought I would just post something here. I always wonder why the postings here are about fast food and junk food --- not criticizing, but just asking.
                              Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              the postings you see are supposed to be "whats for dinner" so we post what we had for dinner.
                              I hear you, Expat. But Anapuni is also correct. It's just that we're too lazy or time-deprived these days. How many people today prepare dinner from scratch? I used to cook from scratch a lot, but now I rarely do.

Last night's dinner for me: already-cooked "take home" pork chops from Times Supermarket. Really good. It was grilled, and had a defintely smoky taste, but it was covered in gravy! Just re-heat, add a mound or two or three of rice, some corn (frozen), and a salad. My only "scratch" contribution was the salad dressing (olive oil, Dijon mustard, rice wine vinegar, a little bit of freshly ground pepper and kosher salt, a touch of sugar, and dried basil).

Another reason why this thread seems mostly fast food/junk food infused is that our most prolific contributor is Helen, our Junk Food Guru .

I must admit, I enjoy the mundane (and sometimes spectalular) posting of "What's for Dinner".

Comment

Noodles, black bean chicken and a bottle of water.

Comment

Working...
                                X