This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 6

Super Rubuen sandwich combo with a cup of Mountain Dew from Arby's.

Comment

Slice of pizza, pasta salad and a cup of Mountain Dew from Sbarros.

Comment

Popcorn chicken from KFC and a bottle of water from a vending machine.

Comment

Hamburger steak and a bottle of Pineapple Crush from L&L Hawaiian BBQ.

Comment

Nothing - lunch was late enough to hold me.

Comment

Brown rice sushi, bananas and a bottle of water.

Comment

Corn dog, chicken, egg roll, brown rice sushi from Foodland and a bottle of Diet Coke LIme from a nearby store.

Comment

I smashed a vegetable stock cube with a bit of olive oil, a pinch of pepper, a pinch of mixed herbs de Provence (rosemary, thyme, sarriete, marjoram, basil, oregano), and a clove of garlic. I rubbed the paste from this onto a chicken and put in onto a baking tray along with small whole potatoes, carrots, onions, and jeruselem artichokes. I drizzled olive oil over the lot and roasted it at 375° f for an hour and a quarter. The chicken got turned once and I basted it and all the vegetables several times during the roasting.

Dee-licious!
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Today's dinner will be soup, made from the bones and leftovers (including the roasting fat), of the chicken.

I ask everyone to save the bones and to not gnaw on them too much, then I put those into a pot with the scrapings from the baking pan and the rest of the sauce from the chicken (gravy in France is simply the drippings from the pan with a bit of hot water added and the fat spooned off).

Add an (unpeeled) onion, a big carrot or two, celery, bay, a clove, a small chunk of ginger, a splash of Tabasco, garlic, and salt and pepper or a stock cube and simmer for an hour or two. Cool and strain.

Pick through the bits and take out all the bits of meat, throw them back into the pot of broth along with whatever you have for soup...I used frozen peas and green beans, a chopped onion and carrot, a sliced tomato, half a leek, a bit more garlic (this IS France), and half a stock cube cause too many peas spilled out of the bag into the soup and I had to add more water so it seemed a bit faded in taste.

Simmer til tender enough for your tastes. I cooked a handful of noodles in another pot and added those to the soup once it was ready to eat.

Comment

Merci Beaucoup .

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                        Merci Beaucoup .
                        'Burp!' It was delicious.

Comment

Potroast recipe from my auntie in Germany:

Take one roast...I used a rolled shoulder of pork, but beef or even turkey can be used, instead. Heat a few spoonfuls of oil in a Dutch roasting pot or any heavyish kind of pot that has a lid. Roll the roast around in the very hot oil til browned on all sides. Turn it often so it doesn't stick (don't worry too much if it does, as the stuck bits can be scraped later on in the preparation), and brown it til it's really brown...which may take ten or fifteen minutes.

Prepare a few chooped vegetables...I used two onions, four carrots, a clove of garlic, a stick of celery, and two tomatoes. Chop them smallish. Peppers or mushrooms or whatever you have on hand is good, too. e

Then take the roast out of the pot and put it aside on a plate (you'll be wanting to catch the drippings). Fry all the chopped vegetables except the tomato in the hot oil that's still in the pot. Stir this often, and if you do have any bits of meat from the roast stuck to the pan, this is the time to scrape them off and into the vegetable mix.

Once the vegetables get a bit browned, add the chopped tomato and a stock cube (optional, but I used a 'jus de roti' one, although a beef or pork or vegetable one would be just as good. My German auntie uses a rostbraten one), and stir it all around some more, then add a cup ot wo of water. My auntie says to add the water slowly and scrape the bottom the pan often as you do, but whatever works. My pan's already pretty well scraped by that time, so I just pour in the water (feeling guilty, but I do it, anyway).

Put the roast back into the pan on top of the vegetables. The water should come up about a third of the way of the meat. Sometimes I add a splash of soysauce or I replace a bit of the water with red wine.

I also put in a pinch of thyme, a spoonful of mustard, a stalk of parsley, and a bay leaf (which gets fished out at the end). Sometimes I add a few cloves or juniper berries (they're easier to fish out at the end it you tie them into a bit of cheesecloth).

If you can't be bothered to fish stuff out at the end or tie things into fiddly little squares of cloth, keep reading, I give alternatives a bit further along.

Simmer this very slowly for an hour or two, til tender. Turn the meat from time to time and make sure there's water left in the pot....there'll not be too much danger of that unless the lid is ill fitting or the roast is too big and you didn't put in enough water to start with.

Once the meat is tender and the family is getting hungry, take the meat out of the pot and put it aside while you either fish out the hard bits such as bay leaves and juniper berries and then pureé the sauce, or, if you are don't wanna fish out the bits or don't have a hand blender, dump the sauce into a strainer over a bowl and smash the vegetables through it to recuperate them into the sauce and make a lovely and rich gravy. Add sour cream if you want (I do). Taste and try not to slurp down all the sauce for yourself.

You could also leave the vegetables in, without blending or smashing them to a pulp. Watch out for juniper berries and cloves. Or cheesecloth squares.

Oh, yeah...spoon any fat off of the sauce before adding the sour cream. You don't have to, but it helps the sauce not to separate and it helps the arteries not to clog up.

Eat. I'm planning to cook noodles with the roast this evening. Maybe I'll mix them with poppy seeds, maybe I won't.

Comment

What was the experience of the recent election like ?
                            Great recipes , keep them coming

Comment

Noodles, sushi and a bottle of water from Robot Sushi.

Comment

Pastrami sub sandwich and a bottle of water from Subway.

Comment

Working...
                                X