Duke Aiona & the flu shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Aiona & the flu shot

Duke Aiona has really gotten himself ensnared in a hornet's nest when he admitted to KITV that he did not get himself vaccinated for the flu. This,.... after Aiona made PSAs urging the general public to get their flu shots.

Whatever Aiona may personally believe about how the flu is spread, news of his hypocrisy has certainly gone viral,..... over the net.

Star Advertiser

Ian Lind's blog

David Shapiro's Volcanic Ash

This really shouldn't be an issue by which people decide who they vote for as governor. And it is true that the decision of whether or not to get a flu shot is a personal one. But for someone who's running for governor, Aiona has handled this matter rather poorly. Instead of staying on-message with his campaign's talking points, Aiona has gotten himself sidetracked, having to defend himself from charges of being a hypocrite and a non-believer in medical science. Clumsy, clumsy.

I get the feeling that this flu shot topic will come up in one of the gubernatorial debates. If it does, then it's a no-win situation for the GOP candidate.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Duke Aiona & the flu shot

maybe he has a medical reason why he couldn't.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

News flash: he had a flu shot today! but as far as I'm concerned - I don't think he would have gotten one if it didn't have an effect on his campaign. the big story will be if he gets one NEXT year!
      Last edited by anapuni808; October 4, 2010, 06:42 PM.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        maybe he has a medical reason why he couldn't.
        Just to emphasize my point here,.... this issue isn't about Duke's earlier decision not to get a flu shot. Whether he was doing it for a specific medical reason or because of his personal beliefs,... that's up to him.

What is at issue here is his agreeing to be the spokesperson for agencies like the state health dept. and HMSA, urging people to get the flu shot while at the same time, not getting himself vaccinated because of a personal belief that the vaccine may cause him more harm than good.

As Dave Shapiro stated in his blog, no one would have made a big deal over Aiona shunning the flu shot had he not made himself the spokesperson urging people to get vaccinated. But he did, reaping publicity for himself over the last few years. Conversely, this makes the Lt. Gov's hypocrisy fair game for public discussion.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Getting vaccinated for anything or not getting vaccinated is a personal choice for adults. While I must take the flu vaccination because the flu can be fatal to me should I get it, there are people who believe they get the flu when they get the shot.

There might be some truth to the belief, because the way the some vaccines work, is they give you a small dose of the illness, which allows your body to build a resistance to it. For instance, small pox. The vaccine is actually giving you a weakened pox of the disease and your body builds an immunity to it.

Comment

sorry - with Aiona, its all about the campaign!
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
            X