Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Kauai in December

Hi alll,

I'm finally realizing my dream of moving to Kauai. I first heard of your garden isle ten years ago when I moved to Sedona, AZ. So many people I met were headed to Kauai. I'm going to be on the island Oct. 21-Nov.2 to find a place to live. I'm a writer, healer, gypsy. So excited about finally returning to my true home. I'm interested in meeting kindred spirits and finding that special spot to live so I can do my writing and healing work from a place of peace and beauty. Would love any tips about rentals, contacts, etc. that would help me on my journey. This is a major move for me. So I could use all the love and support I can can find. Many blessings, Pamela

Re: Moving to Kauai in December

Craigslist.

Many people that are into natural healing and stuff like that tend to live on the north shore towns of Kauai.

check for rentals and live-in caretaker opportunities on craigslist in Hanalei, Moloa'a, Kilauea, Anahola, Princeville.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Hi Pamela, Welcome to HT. How much time have you previously spent on Kauai and what areas were most appealing to you?

Comment

Hi Pamela,
        When you get here (Kauai) get online on this board, and perhaps we can meet. I have been on this island since 1978, and my wife and I raised our three kids here. I don't know how much longer I will be on this island, because the kids have left, and my wife wants to move.

I always said, "If I don't get to heaven when I die, at least I can say I made it to Kauai."

Anyway, welcome!
        Aloha,
        Nobu

Comment

Thanks so much for your responses and information.

Mike, I've heard wonderful things about the north shore and would like to live there. I've been checking Craigslist every day for rentals. I haven't seen any caretaker opportunties but hope to find one. I'm currently caretaking a beach house for a friend on South Padre Island off the coast of Texas.

tutusue, this will be my first trip to Kauai. I've been doing lots of research on-line checking out different areas. The north and east shores appeal to me the most. I'm renting a car so plan to spend lots of time exploring the island.

Nobunaga, how lucky you've been to live in such a beautiful place for so long. I love your quote about Kauai. I would enjoy meeting you when I get to the island. Oh, the stories you must have to tell! I'll post on the boards after I arrive and we can arrange to meet. I'll be staying at The Kauia Beach House in Kapaa.

Comment

Oops, didn't see that my first reply had posted so posted again. Deleting this response so I won't be repeating myself.
            Last edited by Pamela; October 9, 2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamela View Post
              Thanks so much for your responses and information.

Mike, I've heard wonderful things about the north shore and would like to live there. I've been checking Craigslist every day for rentals. I haven't seen any caretaker opportunties but hope to find one. I'm currently caretaking a beach house for a friend on South Padre Island off the coast of Texas.

tutusue, this will be my first trip to Kauai. I've been doing lots of research on-line checking out different areas. The north and east shores appeal to me the most. I'm renting a car so plan to spend lots of time exploring the island.

Nobunaga, how lucky you've been to live in such a beautiful place for so long. I love your quote about Kauai. I would enjoy meeting you when I get to the island. Oh, the stories you must have to tell! I'll post on the boards after I arrive and we can arrange to meet. I'll be staying at The Kauia Beach House in Kapaa.

Right on! I am getting ready to retire, so I might be busy when you get here, but if you are looking for a rental to live in, I might know of a couple of people who might be able to help you. However, I am not too familiar with the people on the North Shores. Do you have a job lined up already? If not, what is your profession?

I used to spend a lot of time on the beaches, but now I don't. I spend my weekends during the days, at the Wailua Golf Course, and my nights are at home with my wife.

Comment

Nobunaga, I work at home as a writer. I have a master's degree in journalism and have worked as a newspaper reporter, magazine writer, college instructor and then got into public relations, marketing and ran a business with my ex-husband. I've always wanted to get back to writing. Kauai would be such an inspiring place to write. I also love the outdoors -- I work in the mornings & spend my afternoons outside hiking, swimming, mtn biking & exploring.

I'm interested in the east shore as well. The Kapaa area seems to have a lot of affordable rentals. I'm open to other parts of the island too.

I do hope we get a chance to meet but certainly understand if you're too busy. Any leads you could give me about rentals would be so appreciated. I'm very excited about the move but scared too as I don't know anyone on the island.

Thanks again!

Pamela

Comment

if you go there with an open mind and show some humility as a newcomer, don''t worry - you will meet lots of folks. Local folks are very friendly.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Pamela View Post
                    Nobunaga, I work at home as a writer. I have a master's degree in journalism and have worked as a newspaper reporter, magazine writer, college instructor and then got into public relations, marketing and ran a business with my ex-husband. I've always wanted to get back to writing. Kauai would be such an inspiring place to write. I also love the outdoors -- I work in the mornings & spend my afternoons outside hiking, swimming, mtn biking & exploring.

I'm interested in the east shore as well. The Kapaa area seems to have a lot of affordable rentals. I'm open to other parts of the island too.

I do hope we get a chance to meet but certainly understand if you're too busy. Any leads you could give me about rentals would be so appreciated. I'm very excited about the move but scared too as I don't know anyone on the island.

Thanks again!

Pamela
                    OK, I will talk with my friend in Kapaa, who has a few rentals. Also, in your business, you may need computer work, so I will talk with my friend and employee who fixes computers and printers.

Other than that, I don't think I can help you with writing. I have a difficult enough time reading. LOL!

Comment

If you're a good journalist, please apply with The Garden Island.

That paper needs some integrity and respectable writers.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Things such as food, gas, electricity and other stuff are more expensive than in Honolulu. There were even some smart people who didn't want the Superferry to help lower the neighbor island prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Things such as food, gas, electricity and other stuff are more expensive than in Honolulu. There were even some smart people who didn't want the Superferry to help lower the neighbor island prices.
                          Eh???? The shutting down of the Superferry also made a dent on some of us who wanted to spread our business to Honolulu and Maui. Especially the farmers.

You are correct though. the Superferry would have made the cost of interisland travel cheaper, and it might have been bad for some of the merchants.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                            the Superferry would have made the cost of interisland travel cheaper,
                            I don't know if the Superferry protesters were paid by Hawaiian Airlines. But, the prices for interisland airfares have really increased.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              I don't know if the Superferry protesters were paid by Hawaiian Airlines. But, the prices for interisland airfares have really increased.
                              The biggest increase, was when Aloha Airlines folded up. The prices went ridiculously high for all the interisland airlines. The entry of Mokulele seemed to have made the prices drop a little, but nowhere near before Aloha Airlines closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X