Pearl Harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Harbor

Just a polite correction about US intelligence services having information concerning the Japanese attack against Pearl Harbor in 1941. As I understand it, there was intelligence that the Japanese were planning an attack somewhere in the Pacific region, but the intelligence services had not pinned the location down to Pearl Harbor. Many areas were thought to be possible targets. It was considerably different from Mr. bush receiving a report that warned of Al Qaeda attacking the US and then going on vacation. For a month. The month before the attacks which did kill even more Americans than the Pearl Harbor attack did. The record long Presidential vacation in history. I hope he had a real good time.

Re: Pearl Harbor

a president is never really on vacation. yours and mine preconcieved ideas of what constitutes a vacation does not really apply to a president. he is always the president 24/7. all the trappings of office follow him wherever he goes.
    do you think he personally tracks down every bit of intelligence himself. this is why there is staff and cabinet. as well as fbi. cia. nsa. etc.
    this is true of all presidents dem and rep.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
      a president is never really on vacation. yours and mine preconcieved ideas of what constitutes a vacation does not really apply to a president. he is always the president 24/7. all the trappings of office follow him wherever he goes.
      do you think he personally tracks down every bit of intelligence himself. this is why there is staff and cabinet. as well as fbi. cia. nsa. etc.
      this is true of all presidents dem and rep.
      I agree. While there was some intelligence reports that an attack was being planned, no one knew when or where, or if ever, it would take place. The President is not an inexpendible person, and he is entitled to have some time for himself, just as much as you or me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        Just a polite correction about US intelligence services having information concerning the Japanese attack against Pearl Harbor in 1941. As I understand it, there was intelligence that the Japanese were planning an attack somewhere in the Pacific region, but the intelligence services had not pinned the location down to Pearl Harbor. Many areas were thought to be possible targets. It was considerably different from Mr. bush receiving a report that warned of Al Qaeda attacking the US and then going on vacation. For a month. The month before the attacks which did kill even more Americans than the Pearl Harbor attack did. The record long Presidential vacation in history. I hope he had a real good time.
        Hi Kalalau,
        There were hints and reports about the planned attack on 9/11/01, but no one knew exactly when, how, or where either. The 9/11 attacks took years of planning, which included getting the volunteers, training them, coordinating the plans, and executing them. The beginning of those plans could have been as early as before Bill Clinton's first term in the White House.

On Pearl Harbor, it is believed that the US had prior knowledge of the plans by Japan.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_H...owledge_debate

Is it possible that the US did not even have a hint about the attack beforehand? I would say it is possible, and the evidence to support it is the amount of damage we suffered from that attack. It is also possible that our intelligence reports did know about it, but did not have all of the information to prevent the attack beforehand.
        Nobu

Comment

Rare, Unseen Photos: Aftermath of Pearl Harbor
          President Franklin Roosevelt declared December 7, 1941 -- when Japan launched more than 350 fighters, bombers, and torpedo planes against the U.S. naval base in Hawaii -- a "date which will live in infamy." In fact, that Sunday morning 70 years ago is so seared into America's memory that the tumult of the weeks and months afterward, as the U.S. responded to the attack, is often overlooked. On the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, LIFE.com presents rare and unpublished photos from Hawaii and the mainland, chronicling a nation's answer to an unprecedented act of war. http://news.yahoo.com/photos/rare-un...947-slideshow/
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's newly found film footage of various WW2 scenes, and starting @ 11:00 is stunning moments in dogfight action http://www.freedomslighthouse.com/20...r-ii-film.html
            I really want an awesome cycletrack seen around 3:00
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Also, the Imperial Navy DID simultaneously hit many Pacific targets IN ADDITION to Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

McArthur sure got a free pass for allowing the US forces in the Phillipines to be destroyed dispite a sufficient heads up that should have saved them. Lot's of questionables during those first days of WW2 that may not have been fully addressed or answered.

Comment

The initial warning of the advance on the Hawaiian Islands came from a small radio shack.
                  The code breakers at the time were going after magic and jn-25 type encryptions.
                  Sterling Seagrave has discussed these topics recently.

Comment

This is a really amazing photograph of women firefighters fighting a fire during the Pearl Harbor attack. I love it! There has to be a story to this photo. Why hasn't it been shown before? Who are the women? Are they still alive?

Comment

Here's the 'lost' footage I thot I was posting previously. 5 min. of incredible heat of battle footage that sat in storage for decades and is half of what was originally shot, the rest was officially confiscated as top secret, and why this copy was returned remains a mystery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeLWNadsQpE

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        This is a really amazing photograph of women firefighters fighting a fire during the Pearl Harbor attack. I love it! There has to be a story to this photo. Why hasn't it been shown before? Who are the women? Are they still alive?
                        Ask and ye shall receive. Turns out the photo isn't from Dec 7th, but from an exercise held later. Link

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Ask and ye shall receive. Turns out the photo isn't from Dec 7th, but from an exercise held later. Link
                          That's still a fantastic story behind the photograph, even if it wasn't taken on December 7. Amazing that one of the women, Katherine Lowe, is still alive at 96, living in Laie, and bowls twice a week. Great research on the photo.

How come the local media hasn't done anything on this?

Comment

Working...
                          X