Hawaii Needs Recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Needs Recycling

Recycling is a circle (O), not a (U). In Hawaii, we have a U.

There is no foundry, or aluminum smelter, or paper pulper, or glass factory. Without these dirty, stinky, smoky, industries, we do not have recycling.

Ironically, the same folks who consider themselves environmentalists would protest the construction of all of the heavy industries needed to facilitate recycling.

If you support recycling, you must support ALL of the processes involved.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Hawaii Needs Recycling

Why is it that not one single environmentalist would rise to the occasion and try to either promote or refute what I posted here.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Jack Johnson's too busy on tour to respond right now.

It is an "easier said than done" action. I do agree the first thing that has to be recognized is that it is a process. Even their symbol (the triangular arrows) is supposed to indicate a cycle. It is one thing for the state to make claims about being green, but the non-naive know there is a lot of room for improvement. Maybe the state of Washington has a better solution since they receive exported garbage from here.

But even some of the newer neighborhoods were found to be behind the times. I was surprised that the blue recycling bins didn't hit my neighborhood until late May this year.

Comment

Blue recycling bins are simply "feel-good" non-solutions.

Without the dirty business of a foundry, whats the point?

Fair-Weather Environmentalists don't REALLY want recycling. They know why.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Why is it that not one single environmentalist would rise to the occasion and try to either promote or refute what I posted here.
          **a tumbleweed rolls by**

I did a report in high school once where I found out that it takes more energy to recycle paper and more chemicals to bleach it to make it white again. It's the dark side of recycling.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Recycling is the holy grail of environmentalism.

Recycling is also the thing the environmentalists want least.

Show me one enviro who would promote the construction of a foundry or pulper.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

NAT GEO channel is doing a huge segment on England's (SIMS) metal recycling. The segment has the largest "shredder" in the world, where hundreds of thousands of tons are crushed and pulverized into scrap, separated into both ferrous and non-ferrous.

Due to heat, they use water, which creates a steam emission. But the biggest pollutant is noise and vibration energy. It must be deafening to listen to a giant shredder pulverize cars and other machines. Secondly, starting the machine up is like having to sit through a constant 4.0 earthquake. Despite this, the winning situation of this is that over 70% of the salvaged material goes on to be successfully recycled.

Putting something like this on a densely populated island like Oahu is not feasible. Yes, it can be done on a couple of the other islands, but even then someone will still complain.

Comment

Of course someone will complain. The dirty business of recycling is simply not palatable to environmentalists.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I'll bite a piece off. Recycling paper doesn't necessitate a pulper. Paper can be burned as fuel [or composted] and recycled by growing replacement trees - let nature do the 'dirty work'. It's called a carbon cycle for a very good reason; it's natural, it works.

Recycling metals doesn't necessitate a smelter [which uses raw ore as an input] - a mini mill can do the job fairly cleanly and efficiently. Recycling metals is a lot cleaner and cheaper than processing ores.

Your ideas are so 20th century (as in antiquated).
                  Last edited by salmoned; October 22, 2010, 12:20 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    Recycling paper doesn't necessitate a pulper. Paper can be burned as fuel [or composted] and recycled by growing replacement trees - let nature do the 'dirty work'. It's called a carbon cycle for a very good reason; it's natural, it works.

Recycling metals doesn't necessitate a smelter [which uses raw ore as an input] - a mini mill can do the job fairly cleanly and efficiently. Recycling metals is a lot cleaner and cheaper than processing ores.
                    Wow, I actually agree with something salmoned said. It’s like pigs are learning to fly all over HT.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

http://www.kitv.com/news/burning-rec...money/35255950

It's not easy being green.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/01/21/recent-s...y-by-surprise/

It might go up to one dollar per container.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/01/22/should-g...ge-containers/

Good or Bad?

Comment

Working...
                          X