R.I.P. John Lind (Ian's father)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. John Lind (Ian's father)

It wasn't unexpected, but Ian Lind's father John passed away very early this morning.
    Some of you may have been following Ian's blog about his father's situation over the past year or so. Fantastic writing! And a wonderful insight into Hawaii of the past, especially of John's involvement and leadership in ocean activities, including photos. We've lost a legend today.
    Condolences to Ian, his mother, his sister Bonnie and his wife Meda.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P. John Lind (Ian's father)

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    It wasn't unexpected, but Ian Lind's father John passed away very early this morning. Some of you may have been following Ian's blog about his father's situation over the past year or so. Fantastic writing! And a wonderful insight into Hawaii of the past, especially of John's involvement and leadership in ocean activities, including photos. We've lost a legend today.
    And here's something from today's paper:

Waikiki Surf Club founder was early pioneer of sport

John Montgomery Lind had barely stepped onto the shores of Waikiki in 1939 when he made quite a splash in the world of surfing -- not by catching waves, but making them.
    At 25 the California surfer began organizing the Hawaii Surfing Association. He founded the Waikiki Surf Club and was key in founding the Makaha International Surfing Championships in 1953.
    Lind died Saturday in Honolulu at age 96.
    "John Lind contributed significantly to the growth and prosperity of surfing in the earliest days," said former state Sen. Fred Hemmings, a champion surfer.
    "He was one of the stalwarts and leaders in the Waikiki Surf Club, which produced really international championships in Makaha
    ," he said. He "was one of the people who worked hard and made it the premier surfing championship."
    (...)
    After founding the Long Beach Surf Club, he worked with the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce in 1938 to put on the First National Surfing Championship there.
    During World War II, working with the Jaycees, Lind organized surf and paddling contests on Waikiki Beach.
    Surf buddy Wally Froiseth, now 90, said: "He was a great promoter. Under John's promotion we (the Waikiki Surf Club) started to make a surfing contest out at Makaha," which drew surfers from France, Africa, South America and Australia, Froiseth said.
    (...)
    While with the Jaycees, Lind came up with the idea for the Molokai-to-Oahu canoe race, Froiseth said.
    Lind organized the Hawaii Canoe Racing Association, which set up rules so everyone could get a fair shake, he said.
    (...)
    He spent many of his days fishing on his 28-foot fishing boat, originally owned by Duke Kahanamoku, which has been donated to the Waikiki Yacht Club, where Duke kept it.
    (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
    X