Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPR Catching Heat

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl..._lnk1%7C179891

I'm cracking up over how far the libs have taken Political Correctness.

Are you really gonna tell me that you are comfortable around Muslims when you are getting on board an airplane? This would make a great social experiment.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: NPR Catching Heat

I thought we have Freedom of Speech in one of those Amendments thing.

Comment

The issue is over a week old. But then again, I'm sure most people in this forum don't watch FoxNews. But the details behind firing a moderate liberal such as Juan Williams leaves most leftists confused. Even though he brings a liberal viewpoint and stance to a conservative leaning channel, he's still very well respected as a person. NPR's handling of this mess has been quite embarrassing on their part.

But that's between their psychiatrists and publicists.

Comment

@Walkoff They were trying to debate if that holds true. It's "public radio" but not totally exactly "government controlled" therefore the First Amendment technically doesn't really apply... sorta, but not really, but no. But they're certainly more than happy to take donations and tax revenues to run their programs, which I'm sure no one here really even watches.

Hell, I didn't know NPR existed until they fired Juan Williams. At least I knew what PBS was.

Comment

Just because you feel or believe something doesn't necessarily mean you get to say it publicly. Free speech does not equal free hate.

Note to bjd392: Of course no one watches NPR programming ... it's radio.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Are you really gonna tell me that you are comfortable around Muslims when you are getting on board an airplane?
            Yes, I am comfortable with Muslims on a plane. How do you tell a Muslim apart anyway? The 911 bombers weren't wearing caftans to my knowledge. From the pictures I saw of them, they looked like Pacific Islanders from Hawai'i to me. Exactly how do you pick someone out to discriminate against them? In Arizona, one legislator can spot an illegal alien by the shoes he wears!

The one person I don't feel comfortable with on a plane is an uptight racist from Kona.....and I can spot them a mile away......by the shoes they wear!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            I thought we have Freedom of Speech in one of those Amendments thing.
            Everyone knows that the Supreme Court has put limits on "Freedom of Speech." It is not an inalienable right. What Williams did was fomenting racism. You can't do that in the USA. If you don't like the rules, you can live in some other country where it is acceptable.

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
            The issue is over a week old. But then again, I'm sure most people in this forum don't watch FoxNews.

Oh, I am fully aware of the incident and I don't watch Faux News or any other television media (I don't have a TV, can't afford one. I live on Governement handouts)

But the details behind firing a moderate liberal such as Juan Williams leaves most leftists confused. Even though he brings a liberal viewpoint and stance to a conservative leaning channel, he's still very well respected as a person.
            Au contraire! Williams has never been well respected because of his bias and hypocrisy. This is the same Juan Williams who excorciated a white jewelry store owner for not buzzing black folks into his store because he was afraid of ALL blacks and the robberies they had committed in his neighborhood. Now he is defending himself about just being "honest" about his feelings toward ALL Muslims. RACIST! That's HYPOCRISY.

With Williams inability to walk in someone else's shoes and the baggage he brings to the position, he will fit right in at Faux News. Good riddance to a sub par journalist.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There is newer mgt. at NPR. I think they've had JW in their sites and this was their tiny window of opportunity to boot him. They should have used much better tact in the matter, but if the new bunch are going to have a spine and stand up against cons who've desperately wanted the last vestige of any decent and fair reporting in America to vanish so they can further pollute minds, then it'll be a good thing overall.
              The old NPR guard caved to con pressure during BushCo's attacks and have been so unimpressive in their political coverage since that a shakeup was overdue. We'll see how the new guys do...

And, anyone who is just now discovering NPR, let me say you've missed SO much cool stuff over the decades that it's impossible to relate it fully. Most of those ignorant of NPR are cons and I'm extremely glad those all time losers don't listen, they deserve FOX NUTS.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

@Leo

And Tower Records still sold records, right? No, NPR has members who have regularly appeared on televised broadcasts for decades.

At least I agree with the first half of your post. Although given the a choice of two evils regarding "free speech," I think Juan Williams' expressed concern is far less hatred compared to West Baptists nutjobs.

Comment

Who hasn't racially profile others?
                  Please stand up! Please stand up!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Who hasn't racially profile others?
                    Please stand up! Please stand up!
                    Me, Me, Me.

What race am I? I have no idea what race you are, other than human race. It is one thing to prejudge someone because of a-priori convictions. It is quite another to hate another because of bigotry. However, it is in one's best interests to not let their personal prejudices prevent them from viewing all people with an open mind.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                      NPR's handling of this mess has been quite embarrassing on their part.
                      As opposed to the respectful dialogue proposed by those who mailed a bomb threat to NPR, right? Helps to clarify the definition of "terrorist," dunnit?

Comment

The theory is that the incoming Republican congress will defund NPR. Then our entire media will be all right wing propaganda. Hey, it worked for Goebbels, right? Of course in the end he had to poison himself and his family but history never repeats, does it? Hopefully if NPR is defunded the frequencies go over to religious broadcasters and other ha ha ha nonprofits, or why not just do away with the educational FM band altogether? Then the wealthy Texas broadcasting company can hit that all important 13 to 13 1/2 year old demographic, thats much more important than actual facts for the American public, or a few hours of classical music.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                          The theory is that the incoming Republican congress will defund NPR.
                          GOP legislators have tried (and failed) this ploy before, so much so that NPR has moved away from most federal funding; less than two percent of their operating budget comes from federal tax monies, and none of it directly - it's filtered primarily through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967.

Comment

Political Correctness stifles society's ability to communicate feelings or opinions in an honest way.

How situations make a person feel is not racial by default. Many fears that we carry are irrational. We are all only human. Shoot, I been afraid of clowns my whole damned life. That's irrational. But some fears, though irrational, have their roots in real events.

These real events shape our perceptions and feelings toward future events. It's not about racism so much as it is about an individual's mind.

Funny how Fox News always has guys like Juan Williams, or Al Sharpton, on their programs on a regular basis. I thought Fox News is supposed to be right wingers only.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

A fear of clowns can be considered irrational, although many people have that fear. So for those who share that same fear against clowns, they would take offense to people who think their fear is nonsense. Then again, if people didn't have fears, then we wouldn't have legitimate (insert)phobias.

Other fears can be considered irrational to many, but quite rational to others. As much as we want to believe the truth that "not everybody of a certain (insert) is going to (insert)," there can be common trends that people can associate with. Whether it borders on a stereotype, or a logical pattern, you can't just go tell someone that what they feel is nonsense. There are exceptions to everything, but at the same time there are pure logical patterns and feelings that can be (and surprisingly are) correct.

But if you're going to go on public record and say something like, "Oh man, I get a general feeling of unease when clowns enter the circus," does that make you a racist against clowns? Should the American Clown Society threaten to sue you? Are these clowns going to be so radical as to burn down the tent? OMG, fear the ridiculousness!!!

(Yes, I hate clowns too. Not because of any real life event; but because I hate clowns.)

Comment

Working...
                              X