Must have food places while on vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must have food places while on vacation

For me, vacation is usually,well, Hawaii. I've got my faves, which I MUST have before I leave but I was curious as to if any of you vacation in the same place regularly and what your must haves are.

My HI must haves:
    Mix Plate - Rainbow Drive-In
    Hot Malasadas - Leonard's
    Shrimp (scampi and lemon butter) - Giovanni's

If I don't get those things, It's just not a proper vacation!

Heck, I usually take pictures of the food at these places so I can look and reminisce while i'm home hahaha.
    -kp!

Re: Must have food places while on vacation

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
    For me, vacation is usually,well, Hawaii. I've got my faves, which I MUST have before I leave but I was curious as to if any of you vacation in the same place regularly and what your must haves are.

My HI must haves:
    Mix Plate - Rainbow Drive-In
    Hot Malasadas - Leonard's
    Shrimp (scampi and lemon butter) - Giovanni's

If I don't get those things, It's just not a proper vacation!

Heck, I usually take pictures of the food at these places so I can look and reminisce while i'm home hahaha.

Good choices, I must say, KP.

I've got quite a few . . .

My choices (Honolulu):
    Chili plate - Rainbow Drive-In
    Saimin - Palace Saimin
    Hawaiian food - Helena's
    Patele - Pastele Shop

Off topic, I ALWAYS hit the food court in the old Ranch 99 on Mapunapuna for its ambience and food choices.

My choice (Hilo):
    Tripe stew - Cafe 100.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

We feel the same way. Going "home" to eat local food is the highlight of our trips back home. Here are some of the places we have to always go:
      • Hawaiian Food - Helena's
      • Korean BBQ - Camellia on Beretania
      • Cantonese Food - we like the simple places like the old Liliha Seafood restaurant (now gone), Kapahulu Chop Suey, and Duk Kee in Kaimuki. We have been told we have to go to Waimalu Chop Suey.
      • Japanese food/sushi -- Sorry, Honolulu doesn't have much here anymore. We go to Los Angeles to eat Japanese food.
      • Roast Pork/Char Siu -- We go down to the markets in China Town.
      • If we have time, we go eat and special order the oyster roll from Royal Garden restaurant in the Ala Moana Hotel.
      • Plate Lunch -- The original L&L on Liliha Street.
      • Bakery items -- Leonard's (Malasadas) & Napoleon's (napples, cake) & Delite Bakery (Guava and Haupia Chiffon cake).
      • Misc. places, but not special -- Zippy's, Pagoda, Yagura on Liliha, Tamashiro fish market (for poke and stuff like that).

Comment

I've been a few times (alone) and I have to say I drug my husband around like a mad woman on our honeymoon last year. He wasn't too thrilled until I made him try the food I was so in love with.

Rai Rai Ramen - My favorite restaurant on the planet. I took the hubs and he almost wouldn't go in because it "looks like a hole in the wall". We wound up eating there 5 times on honeymoon. I took a picture of my Chicken Katsu to remember it by. Now, we say that our home if we get Schofield has to be close to Rai Rai.

Leonard's - Again, DH was not a fan until I shoved a malasada in his mouth. Now he agree that's their better than Krispy Kreme could ever hope to be.

7-11 - What can I say? I like manapua (taro please!) and musubi. He wasn't as happy, but he thought they were ok.

Giovanni's - is perfection in a truck. period.

Comment

Holy Crap! I left off Koa!! Geez. DH was unhappy to drive so far for pancakes but after he took a bite I thought he might leave me for the pancake cooks. We tried both locations and like the one by Pearl Harbor the best. The Kaneohe location has bad parking and is frigid.

Comment

Working...
          X