Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secretariat

Diane Lane, John Malkovich

One of the earliest religious disappointments in a young girl’s life devolves upon her unanswered prayer for a horse. —Phillis Theroux

If this quote makes you nod your head, you’ll probably like Secretariat, a horse movie to affirm the feelings of any horse-movie hater. It is a nice, heart-warming film in the classic sports-film mold, appropriate for families and horse-lovers. I have read more than fifteen horse books and I’ll bet I’m the only guy I know who can name the racetracks where the three jewels of the Triple Crown are held (I can also name harness-racing’s equivalents of the Kentucky Derby, both for pacers and trotters), so I think I am the only guy I can think of to whom I might recommend this.

Diane Lane plays a middle-aged mother in Colorado. Her father, the owner of a horse-breeding farm, takes ill and Lane is determined that the farm will continue, even though she knows very little about the breeding, training, and racing of thoroughbreds herself. She hires a retired trainer (John Malkovich) to prepare her one colt for the Kentucky Derby. The success or failure of the farm depends on the success or failure of this horse, and both owner and trainer approach the entire project with a go-for-the-win attitude.

Lane’s family is still in Colorado, so all this horse-training puts some strain on everyone, especially a teenaged daughter with anti-war sentiments, not to mention the very busy lawyer husband who’s counted on her to keep the household humming for all these years.

There is one breath-taking moment of complete beauty, when Secretariat runs across the screen from left to right in slow motion. There are other scenes of only regular beauty, too, of the sort you’d expect from a film about thoroughbred racing.

What happens is a matter of history: not only does Secretariat win the Derby and then the Preakness and then the Belmont, but he does it in a way that stuns the world at a time when horse-racing was perhaps the world’s most popular sport after boxing.

I doubt anyone could hate this movie. I rather liked it.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    72/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Secretariat

Crap. That would be Phyllis Theroux. Not Phillis. Stupid Internet.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I remember watching Secretariat win the Belmont live. No, I wasn’t at the racetrack. I was living on the mainland then, and for some reason, I had been following Secretariat’s progress and was fascinated by this horse. So I watched the race live on TV. This was at a time when it was very rare for any sporting event to be televised live in Hawaii. So I felt privledged in a way.

That telecast of Secretariat winning the Belmont literally took my breath away. I was stunned, awestruck, found myself coming down with a serious case of “chicken skin”. Usually, when a sports victory is a blowout, there is no excitement. This was different. Very different. This was more than just a win; it went well beyond that. I think everyone at that racetrack, or watching the telecast, was as stunned as I was.

I can not imagine the movie (at least for that amazing Belmont run) would venture far from the actual telecast, including the announcer’s play-by-play commentaries. (Race announcers are simply amazing!) You couldn’t edit that telecast any better. I haven’t seen the movie, but I’m sure they paid homage to that classic telecast.

Comment

Thanks for the review of the movie! I am now putting into my Netflix list. I LOVE horse racing - its the only form of gambling I indulge in. In fact, I was betting on the races today - my friend called me from Golden Gate Fields and placed a couple of bets for me.

I'm looking forward now to seeing the movie!

ps: my grandfather was a harness racer. apparently he was pretty famous too.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
        X