Left v. Right on HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Left v. Right on HT

hey - you can list me as another leftie, liberal, progressive. and I'm also a registered Democrat! how radical can I get?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      It was Calvin Coolidge who was famous for being incommunicado. While President, he was a guest of William Randolph Hearst at San Simeon. At dinner, he was seated next to Marion Davies who was a bit inebriated (as usual). She leaned over to Coolidge and said, "I made a bet with Mr. Hearst that I could get you to say at least three words." To which Coolidge replied, "You lose."
      You know what? Coolidge gets a bad rap. Remember the "business of America is business" line of his? Read the rest of that speech. He was a lot more congenial and sympathetic than that line would indicate. I looked it up once a while back. When I read that I decided I'd been too harsh toward Silent Cal's memory.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Just as the more left-leaning posters run the gamut from strongly liberal/progressive to just slightly left-of-center, there are many HT’ers who tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another. Amongst the ones who come to mind right away (and I know I am missing several others) are Mel, TimKona, Bobinator, Nobunaga, Walkoff Balk, Konaguy, Scrivener, CraigWatanabe, Sansei, NachoDaddy, Escondido100 and BJD392. There’s no dearth of conservative opinion expressed here.
        I feel like I'm in The Dirty Dozen. I have to be like Jim Brown in the movie by taking one for the team by running zigzag and dropping grenades against too leftist views. I think Konaguy might have gone rogue like Telly Savales in the movie and did his own thing.
        I can hear the background music beat as we 12 walk in slow motion.

Comment

Salute coming your way, my comrade.
          I wouldn't say the word comrade instead of words such as friend or buddy.
          In America, I write a post. In Soviet Union, post writes you.
          In America, I can read a blog. In Soviet Union, blog reads you.
          In America, I watch tv. In Soviet Union, tv watches you.
          That's my impression of David Letterman doing Yakmov Shirmoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            I feel like I'm in The Dirty Dozen.
            Only you, WO, can put yourslf in "the Dirty Dozen", no one else can. Quit playing the martyr. If you want to play arbitrary movie themes, I feel I'm part of "the Three Amigos (bump, bump)" whatever political theme YOU want to put me in.

Take control of your life and reallize your own self-actualization (google Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs). Otherwise you are destined to wander through life feeling like the victim.

That'll be 5 cents for my advice.

And, BTW,

In America, a private company can foreclose on your house without reading the paperwork
            In America, the Government can wiretap your phone without proper cause or court order
            In America, we can ignore the Geneva Conventions that we signed and torture prisoners........but no other nation should
            In America, we can invade a nation (Iraq) with a manufactured excuse (WMDs)

AND IN AMERICA WE ARE FREE TO POST ON THE INTERNET WHATEVER OUR OPINION MIGHT BE INCLUDING CALLING SOMEONE COMRADE, BUDDY, OR KAUME'A
            Last edited by matapule; November 11, 2010, 02:44 AM.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I can't find Kaume'a in any of the dictionaries, could you please define it? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                I wouldn't say the word comrade instead of words such as friend or buddy.
                If you follow my posting style, you'll know that I choose my words deliberately, with clear knowledge of their power.

Comment

Dang. I was nosy. I should have stayed out.

This thread makes me SAD.

I'm sorry Aaron.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                    I can't find Kaume'a in any of the dictionaries, could you please define it? Thanks
                    Tongan for "friends."

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Mahalo. If I may ask, what are some other useful Tongan words? Hoaloha is friend in Hawaiian.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                        Mahalo. If I may ask, what are some other useful Tongan words? Hoaloha is friend in Hawaiian.
                        Malo'e lelei (hello, good day)
                        Malo 'aupito (thank you very much)
                        mahalo (perhaps)
                        oiaue (oh my goodness, oiy ya WEH)
                        palangi (European, foreigner)
                        Oku i'fe oe falemalolo? (where is the toilet?)
                        matapule (talking chief, speaks on behalf of the noble, mah tah POO leh)
                        Matapule, okuke ngahi oe tu'umama'o! (Matapule, you are full of bull!)

And to keep this on topic, these words are the same for Tongans whether they are left or right.....handed.

Comment

Are conservatives ashamed of being conservative in their views? For the most part, I doubt it.
                          I'm not, but the mapped thread shows I'm more in the middle, both left/right and up/down. I identify myself with conservative values even though I hold socially liberal ideals.

As one example of how things cross out, I support death penalty (Right) but I also support abortion (traditionally left) which equals "middle" mathematically.

Fiscally, I'm conservative, since I prefer limited government touching my hard-earned money. And no, I 100% disagree with sharing what I rightfully earned with people who didn't do anything to deserve it. I give to the economy by being a good tipper to my favorite waitresses at restaurants
                          Last edited by bjd392; November 11, 2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            Quit playing the martyr. If you want to play arbitrary movie themes, I feel I'm part of "the Three Amigos (bump, bump)" whatever political theme YOU want to put me in.

Take control of your life and reallize your own self-actualization (google Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs). Otherwise you are destined to wander through life feeling like the victim.
                            You can be in The Three Amigos. I want to be in The Three Stooges. I'm a Victim of Circumstance, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk, Ruff, Ruff.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YpzGsO0V0

I don't think it's healthy to just follow the far right or far left point of view. I live my life from the mantra (not martyr) of
                            I've looked at life from both sides now.
                            From up and down and still somehow.
                            It's life's illusions I recall.
                            I really don't know life at all.
                            Whoever sang that song. She must be a saint.

Comment

It's healthy if thats where your beliefs lie - right or left. Anything else is just waffling on one's whole system of values. Thats what forms your viewpoints
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Are you saying it's healthy to dig a hole, jump in and bury yourself? Sure, it's healthy for me if you do so - one less cancerous corpuscle with which to contend. [No personal offense intended or complementary obligation to praise or condemn my malignant hyperbole] No waffling now, you dig it, jump in and ... relish in the glory of your own soil - how patriotic. Nothing could be healthier.

Yahoo or hooRAH!

[Classified ad: 'Hammer seeks nails to drive home.'] Ouch.
                                Last edited by salmoned; November 12, 2010, 09:17 AM.
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X